Starting From Here by Lisa Jenn Bigelow

Starting From Here (edition 2012)

by Lisa Jenn Bigelow (Author)

Member:Kelroka
Title:Starting From Here
Authors:Lisa Jenn Bigelow (Author)
Info:Skyscape (2012), 287 pages
Collections:Lesbian and Lesbian Related, Your library, To read

Starting From Here by Lisa Jenn Bigelow

2013 (2) blank (1) cancer (1) class issues (1) contemporary (1) dogs (2) fiction (7) gay literature (1) glbt (1) GLBTQ (1) high school (1) isbn (1) issues (1) lesbian (7) lesbian fiction (3) lesbian teenagers (1) lgbt (1) LGBTQ (3) owned (1) signed (1) teen (2) teens (1) to-read (9) trust (1) unread (1) van (1) YA (5) young adult (5) young adult fiction (3) youth (1)

Happy lesbians for once, but I'm tired of this being the only kind of story we get. This is less a review and more a statement about how I am more than my coming-out story. I have read so many contemporary fiction books lately because it's really the only way to find books with LGBTQ characters, but I don't really like the contemporary fiction genre. ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
A cute, easy read. But not much in the way of substance. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
Overall, I just love the feel of the book. I read it weeks ago, and its warmth has really stayed with me: Colby’s trailer all decorated for Christmas, the heavy sigh of the dog on the couch, the warmth of Robyn the vet’s kitchen. (Full review at http://www.parenthetical.net/2012/11/01/review-starting-from-here-by-lisa-jenn-b...) ( )
  SamMusher | Mar 29, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this, despite the dead mother (it had been a little while, and I was due). Highly recommended to anyone looking for a quick LGBTQ YA read, although be warned that Colby does wear out her welcome as she works through her grief. ( )
  helgagrace | Mar 28, 2013 |
  helgagrace | Mar 28, 2013 |

Sixteen-year-old Colby Bingham’s heart has been broken too many times. Her mother has been dead for almost two years, her truck driver father is always away, her almost girlfriend just dumped her for a guy, and now she’s failing chemistry.

When a stray dog lands literally at her feet, bleeding and broken on a busy road, it seems like the Universe has it in for Colby. But the incident also knocks a chink in the walls she’s built around her heart. Against her better judgment, she decides to care for the dog.

But new connections mean new opportunities for heartbreak. Terrified of another loss, Colby bolts at the first sign of trouble, managing to alienate her best friend, her father, the cute girl pursing her, and even her dog’s vet, who’s taken Colby under her wing. Colby can’t start over, but can she learn how to move on?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:58 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Colby is barely hanging on with her mother dead, her long-haul trucker father often away, her almost-girlfriend dumping her for a boy, and her failing grades, when a stray dog appears and helps her find hope.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,573,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible