Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered…

Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs (edition 2003)

by James Rumford (Author)

Member:txrunkles
Title:Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
Authors:James Rumford (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2003), Edition: Reprint, 32 pages
Tags:Year 3 Unit 1

Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs by James Rumford

A good introduction to hieroglyphics and the man who deciphered them. Makes us want to learn more! ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I can't believe how much I've learned about hieroglyphs and Napoleonic France from reading this book. To begin with, I was completely unaware when it came to Egyptology before this. I never had an interest, but after reading this I am completely enthralled with it. I never imagined that this would be so illuminating. I didn't know that the Rosetta Stone came from Rosetta, Egypt. I thought that it came from the Middle East. Guess it just goes to show how little I really knew about the topic. I was fascinated by the rebellion of the French people against friends of Napoleon after his defeat at Waterloo. It's like the French Revolution all over again. What an amazing guy he must have been. I really enjoyed this book. I recommend it to anyone with the time to get through it. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Seeker of Knowledge is a biography of an late 18th century scholar. Jean Francoise Champollion was a young man with dreams of Egypt. He longed to discover the unknown language and writings of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs. This dream started as a young boy and continued until Jean’s adulthood as he wrote many manuscripts on his research. Later on his life Jean travelled to Egypt. With his passion to discover the language he finally unlocks a great discovery to the hieroglyphs. Jean Francoise Champollion discovered many aspect of the language many which were incorrect although he managed to unlock key concepts of the writings. ( )
  Mitzi.Galvez | Feb 23, 2012 |
#109, 2006

This is a lovely book for children, about Jean-Francois Champollion, the man who is credited with deciphering the Rosetta Stone, and unlocking the secrets of heiroglyphic writing for the modern world. It begins during Jean-Francois’ childhood, focusing on his life-long desire to learn all he could about ancient Egypt. I thought this was a nice way to present the information to children – along with the biographical material, there is an underlying message of “follow your dreams.” The illustrations are beautiful, too. A great book, which is very much in keeping with our current history study. ( )
  herebedragons | Jan 17, 2007 |

A biography of the French scholar whose decipherment of the Egyptian hieroglyphic language made the study of ancient Egypt possible.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,398,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible