Our Vanishing Landscape (1955)

by Eric Sloane

Written with humor and affection, and enhanced with 81 of the author's charming, historically accurate drawings, Our Vanishing Landscape takes readers on a leisurely sojourn through a bygone era. Leading us along rustic winding roads bordering fields and farmhouses, Eric Sloane captures our imaginations as he offers us a guided tour that evokes the America of pioneer times. The fascinating narrative describes networks of canals, corduroy roads, and turnpikes; tollgates, waterwheels, and icehouses; country inns and churches; ingenious and colorful road signs; and massive snow-rollers that packed snow into hard surfaces for great sleds. Here also are engrossing accounts of toll-road owners, sign painters, circus folk, and other entertainers of the period. Brimming with anecdotes about people and the times, this delightful, warmly written book remains a genuine and permanent contribution to the field of Americana. Book jacket.… (more)

Have enjoyed all of Sloane's books to date. Americana. Like his b/w sketches which illustrate to text throughout.
  mcola | May 7, 2011 |
By no means a definitive reference, it is a good overview into changes & what remained (in the early 1970's) from the Colonial times in America, mostly the northeast & midwest. Sloane's sketches bring to life a lot of old scenes & his knowledge of the subject is shared quickly. It's a joy to read & glance at on occasion. ( )
1 vote jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |
"With author's sketches of old mills, smokehouses, churches, canal boats, covered bridges, road signs, sleds, snowplows, wagons, water wheels, icehouses and many more ..." cover.
  SHCG | Jul 7, 2009 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,205,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible