Strictly Speaking by Edwin Newman

Strictly Speaking (1974)

by Edwin Newman

The best thing about this book was that it is short. The author writes poorly and comes across as terribly conceited, which makes what he is trying to say particularly amusing. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
It's a true pleasure to be reminded that there was a time when somone knew the difference between "less" and "fewer" - and cared. Witty, funny, and at times downright acerbic, Newman skewers those who abuse the language once known as English. And, although his title specifies America, he doesn't spare our brothers over the pond, either, turning his wit to various ways that the English mangle English, as well. He soon tires of that, and returns home, with a wide ranging look at pop culture, theatre, sports, and politics. The media come in for a fair share, as well. I'm afraid to recommend it to many modern readers, since he often throws the misuse out there without explanation, expecting his readers will be learned enough to catch the horrors, but common usage has become so degraded these days, I'm afraid many may not. ( )
  Devil_llama | May 9, 2011 |
Subtitled: "Will America be the Death of English?"
  gmillar | Apr 1, 2009 |
1510 Strictly Speaking: Will America Be the Death of English? by Edwin Newman (read 7 Apr 1979) This is a very uneven book, some of it so funny, and other seemingly thrown together to make it book length. My favorite from it: "Or this, from a UPI story about motherly weather in Utah: 'After stuffing the apparel in the Cessna 210's window to keep out the blistering winds, a snowstorm completely covered the craft.'" But there seemed to be a lot of filler in the book, and it is not organized at all: it just jumps from one thing to another with no discernible system. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jan 9, 2009 |
To my wife and daughter
Introduction -- A Protective Interest in the Language -- Will America be the death of English? I'm glad I asked me that. The outlook is dire; it is a later point in time than you think. The evidence is all around us:

The deterioration of the English language is explored through an examination of its use by journalists, businessmen, politicians and sportswriters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,311,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible