Diplomaatiline puutumatus by Lois McMaster…

Diplomaatiline puutumatus (original 2002; edition 2019)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

2,541484,062 (4.05)1 / 97
A rich Komarran merchant fleet has been impounded at Graf Station in distant Quaddiespace after a bloody incident involving the convoy's Barrayaran military escort. Lord Miles Vorkosigan and his wife, Lady Ekaterin, have other things on their minds, such as getting home in time to attend the long-awaited births of their first children. But when duty calls in the voice of Barrayar's Emperor Gregor, Miles, as imperial auditor, has no choice but to answer. Waiting on Graf Station are diplomatic snarls, tangled loyalties, old friends, new enemies, racial tensions, lies and deceptions, mysterious disappearances, and a race with time for life against death in horrifying new forms. The downside of being a high-level troubleshooter comes when trouble starts shooting back.… (more)
Member:Enel.Pungas
Title:Diplomaatiline puutumatus
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Tallinn : Varrak, 2019

Diplomatic Immunity by Lois McMaster Bujold (2002)

Busman's Honeymoon: A Love Story with Detective Interruptions by Dorothy L. Sayers (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: I think this was Bujold's model for how to write about your romantic hero after he's married. I think the Sayers is more successful.

English (47)  Italian (1)  All languages (48)
There are several things going for this novel. First, A return to a much later version of Graff Station and the quaddies. Second, a return to Cetaganda. Third, a return of our favorite hermaphrodite. The only other odd novel out that should have made a return is Ethan of Athos, or at least the first batch of interesting kiddos from that planet. Other than these bits, it may not have been the best Miles book, but it had its moments. The action picked up near the end, but the pacing wasn't exactly full tilt throughout.
It was good at the end, though, and strangely emotional. I probably would have given this one a 3 star, except that the climax was pretty good and made up for a lot.
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
(Fourteenth of 17 (I suppose): Vorkosigan saga (chronological order). Science fiction, space opera)

Miles - Imperial Auditor and thus Voice of the Emperor when necessary - and his bride are returning home from their delayed honeymoon with the happy expectation of hatching their first two children from their incubators when he is diverted by the Emperor to resolve affairs on Graf Station in Quaddie-space on behalf of Barrayar and the Empress Laissa.

According to the Barrayaran military escort of a Komarran merchant fleet, they were trying to rescue one of their number from the space station. However, the quaddies, who have two pairs of arms instead of a pair each of arms and legs and are more comfortable in free-fall, dispute this version of events and have impounded the fleet as well as imprisoning the offending soldiers. Meanwhile, the merchants are anxious to be on their way especially as some of them are transporting time-sensitive cargo.

Lieutenant Solian, a security officer with the fleet, is missing, presumed dead. A quantity of his blood has been found, but not his body. And the jump ship pilot, whom the Barrayarans were 'rescuing', wants to apply to Graf Station for asylum so he can stay with his new quaddie love, Garnet Five. Sealer Greenlaw, in charge of Graf Station, wants reparation. But, as always with Miles, things are not as easy as they first appear.

Fortunately, he runs into some old friends on Graf Station - Bel Thorne, ex of the Dendarii Mercenaries and Nicol, a beautiful quaddie who (... well, never mind) - who are willing to see his side of things. And he is also married to a woman who not only understands his quirks but can keep a cool head in a crisis.

I found things a little slow going at first, but that could have been due to my reduced reading time during the week. On Saturday, though, I raced through the last half of the book as events started coming together and time started to run out for Miles and co. I think that's when we see Miles at his best.

I did appreciate the scene with the babies, and I had to empathise. Who in their right minds let Miles become a parent? Or me, either? But my two are now 9 and 14 (gosh, already? But I’m still trying to work out what to do); I don’t know how they survived. Or me, either.

He stared at the two bundles more than filling his lap in a kind of cosmic amazement.

"We did it," he muttered to Ekaterin, now perching on the chair arm. "Why didn't anybody stop us? Why aren't there more regulations about this sort of thing? What fool in their right mind would put me in charge of a baby? Two babies?"...

... He had been the end point of human evolution. At this moment he abruptly felt more like a missing link.
I thought I knew everything. Surely I knew nothing. How had his own life become such a surprise to him, so utterly rearranged? His brain had whirled with a thousand plans for these tiny lives, visions of the future both hopeful and dire, funny and fearful. For a moment, it seemed to come to a full stop. I have no idea who these two people are going to be.

4.5 stars ( )
1 vote humouress | Jan 26, 2019 |
Diplomatic Immunity is set on Miles' and Ekaterin's belated honeymoon tour. On their return journey to Barryar, they are intercepted by an Imperial courier - Miles as an Imperial Auditor is being asked to sort out a diplomatic row in Quaddiespace; the Barryaran trade fleet is being held because of an escalating situation. We meet some old characters from Miles' Dendarii days - the herm Bel Thorne who had an unrequited crush on Miles, and the quaddie Nicole who the Dendarii rescued from slavery in Jackson's Whole.

Without giving away too much plot, Miles has to get the trade fleet moving, sort out the diplomatic row in Quaddiespace without paying through the nose and banning Barryar, and lastly figure out what is going on with the Cetagandans who are threatening war. Very enjoyable.
  Maddz | Aug 19, 2018 |
This was my first attempt at a Miles book in too many years. I found the writing fun and almost hard to put down. I did have stretches where the story felt elongated for the sake of length. During those parts, leaving the book proved easier.

The First chapter proved quick and to the point. Establish plot, which flowed nicely into the second chapter where we begin finding internal conflicts among supposed allies. From there it moved with a decent pace, save the stretches mentioned above. Much of the book felt more like a mystery in outer space than just a straight science fiction plot, which is fine with me. I'm enjoying that part.

What's become a common thread for many longer running characters has been a shift in their position from military to politics. David Weber did this with Honor and now we are getting more with Miles. The politics aren't my favorite subject to read. When they start adding additional solar system powers, the struggles get confusing.

This proved an interesting book and one I'm willing to use as my guide deeper into the Miles universe. (I found a CD with prior books in another volume I already own.) So onward to explore! ( )
  gilroy | Jul 21, 2017 |
This book brings together Bujold's long-running Vorkosigan series the the quaddies who originally appeared in the separate story Falling Free, though one quaddie has appeared in an erlier Vorkosigan adventure. This story involves the now-thriving quaddie colonies descended from the quddies in Falling Free --humans bioengineered with arms in place of leg to functin better in free fall. A komarran trade convoy escorted by Barrayan space Navy ships has put in to a quaddie space station (all the quaddie setlements are space stations). A Barrayan Navy officer (actually a Komartran, part of Emperor Gregor's attempt to encourage assimilation) vanishes, ten another young KOmarran/Barrrayan who has a sudden romance with a quddie dancer (dancing is high art here0 fails o return to sjip ship; two Barrayans make a heavy-handed attempt to bring him back and break the quaddie woman's arm in the process; they are arrested by quaddie authorities. A squad of Barrayans goes in to get them back, and is captured in turn. At this point the emperor sends in his new Auditor, Miles Vorkosigan, then on his honeymoon with his new wife Ekaterin (married at the end of Civil Campaign.He finds that Bel Thorne, his former comrade in the Dendarii Free Mercenaries, is now the quaddie portmaster (and still a Barrayan secret informant). ( )
  antiquary | Mar 7, 2017 |

Bujold, Lois McMasterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickman, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the image above the vid plate, the sperm writhed in elegant, sinuous curves.
All Miles could think was Whoever first brought castanets to Quaddiespace has much to answer for.

A rich Komarran merchant fleet has been impounded at Graf Station in distant Quaddiespace, after a bloody incident on the station docks involving a security officer from the convoy's Barrayaran military escort. Just the sort of situation that calls for the attention of the Imperial Auditors, Barrayar's special, high-level trouble-shooters.

As luck would have it, Lord Miles Vorkosigan, the empire's youngest Auditor, just happens to be in the area. Of course, he and his wife, Lady Ekaterin, have other things on their minds, such as getting home in time to attend the long awaited births of their first children. But when duty calls - in the voice of Barrayar's Emperor, Gregor - Miles has no choice but to answer.

Waiting on Graf Station are diplomatic snarls, tangled loyalties, old friends, new enemies, racial tension, lies and deceptions, mysterious disappearances and a lethal secret with wider consequences than even Miles anticipates. The entire system is in danger and time is running out.

Miles Vorkosigan is uncomfortably aware that the downside of being a trouble-shooter comes when the trouble starts shooting back...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,706,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible