Hell on Wheels

by Julie Ann Walker

Series: Black Knights Inc. (1)

Black Knights Inc.?Behind the facade of their tricked?out motorcycle shop is an elite special ops team assigned the jobs too hot for anyone else to handle. Hold On Tight... Ex?Marine Nate Ghost Weller is an expert at keeping his cool?and his distance?which makes him one hell of a sniper. It's also how he keeps his feelings for Ali Morgan in check. Sweet, sexy Ali has always revved his engine, but she's his best friend's baby sister...and totally off limits. Rough Road Ahead Ali's never seen anything sexier than Nate Weller straddling his custom Harley?or the flash of danger in his eyes when she tells him she's in trouble. First something happened to her brother, and now she's become the target of a nasty international organization. With Nate, her life is in the most capable hands possible?but her heart is another story altogether.… (more)

I said it was readable.

It almost went and made a liar out of me.

Okay to be honest, it was readable. But it also tried really hard not to be. from calling dollar bills “George Washingtons” (no.never) to referencing Ashton Kutcher on punked, it really read like someone trying too hard to stay current and failing like your 69 year old grandfather that wasn’t even current in his day.

I didn’t love reading paragraphs about their firepower.

I also didn’t enjoy when the hero, Nate, said to the heroine, Ali, about how he wanted her (when she decided to ask if he ever laughs in the middle of the night—don’t get me started): “he wanted to plunge into her balls deep till she’s wriggling like a fish on a line.” Here’s the smelling salts cause I can tell you all just up and fainted from the swoons.

And I do appreciate dialects in books, but I didn’t get Nate’s. It was all contractions and lack of vowels. He said C’min instead of come in. I don’t get it. Or "what'r'doin" ??

The narrative style was tough to take, third person, lots of PoVs but with lots of "ugh" and weird expressions peppered in. And "Uh yeah," Not weird for us on goodreads, or even in a book in general, but from this point of view it felt off.

the couple's trajectory is non-existent and this book showcases exactly why romantic suspense hasn't been my bag. Neither the romance nor the suspense are satisfactory. Another best friend of big brother rescues and always loved little sister, luckily the feeling's mutual because they have sex then decide to get married after lusting after each other in the first 50%. Ultimately, I didn't care about them. None of them. 1.5 ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Summary
Nate Weller also known as "Ghost" has loved Ali from afar but he knows she could never forgive him for what he had to do and withdraws from her. Ali Morgan, never thought that she would be going to the one man who practically ignores her. Her brothers best friend Nate. But when she gets mugged and being followed, she knows that her life is in danger. So she goes to Nate and the Knights for help. She knows that they do way more than just run a motorcycle muscle shop. But when they uncover a plot of an enemy that will prevent them from finding the truth, Ali and Nate join forces to track down the information her brother left behind. Their feelings for each other become awakened as the danger to them escalates...
The Hero
Nate "Ghost" Weller is a brooding hero. He is quiet and mostly "grunts" in communication. Nate has just lost his best friend to torture and Nate still carries guilt and grief over what happened to the man who was like his own brother. Nate has always wanted Ali, but she is "forbidden fruit" to him. First she is his best friends younger sister and that is a line you don't cross. Nate was a swoon worthy hero. I have such a weakness for those silent broody types, and he makes the best of it. His way of communication are pretty hilarious. He only talks when he has to.
The Heroine
Ali has always loved Nate, but he has always kept himself distant from her. Ali is still grieving for the loss of her brothers life. Ali is a school teacher and when she knows that her life is in danger she knows that it has to do with Grigg (her brother) and with Grigg gone now, she goes to the only people who are her family....the Black Knights, and more specifically Nate. Ali knows that despite the distance that is between them, he is the only help she has now. Ali is such a heroine that you can get behind. She is upbeat, and happy and boy she has hidden depths. She can handle a gun just as well as the guys and love her tenacity and courage she displays.

“Wow, put the girl through a couple of days of high-level stress, dress her in black leather and give her a gun, and suddenly she went all Xena: Warrior Princess.”

Plot and Story Line
In Hell On Wheels, we have a intense and thrilling romance that Julie Ann Walker introduces us to. Now this is the first time I have picked this author up and I can tell y'all right now its not going to be the last. I had such a blast with this book, it had me on the edge the whole dang time. It sets off with Ali being attacked, and she feels she has no choice but go to the only people that her brother Grigg considered family, the Black Knights. Now the Black Knights are a group of ex military men, who go on special op missions for the government. They do what needs to be done and take orders from high up the chain. They are still trying to recover from the loss of their own, Grigg who along with Nate were captured and tortured. Nate still bears quite a load of guilt from what happened especially since he couldn't save his closest friend. Nate is a hero you just want to hug. He is a bit withdrawn from the others, very broody but yeah sexy as hell. The story is pretty intense at times and what I admired about this book was the plot. I love a good romantic suspense, and Walker did a fabulous job with this one. I loved the development and the intrigue that the reader is introduced into. We also get to see the commadarie between the members of the Black Knights. I am excited to see what the author does in future books.

“Uh-huh. Now Ali was beginning to get the picture. Riding backseat on a bike like Phantom was better than Mr. Blue any day. Not to mention the highly erotic act of wrapping one's legs around the man you loved.”

The Cover
Love the sexy appeal of this cover, I love the male model's stance with the motorcycle in the backdrop.
Overall View
Hell On Wheels is a thrilling ride of adventure, suspense and desire that will blow your mind!! EXHILARATING ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 23, 2019 |
I read this in two days, cried at one point (and I'm not usually a crier), and was genuinely surprised by something the author had happen near the end. So to me, that all adds up to a good book.

Ultimately I dropped a star because I didn't care for the way Nate (hero) spoke, with his words 'mashed up', almost like a southern accent, except, it wasn't. It kept me from liking him entirely. I did like his internal POV, though. And I was very moved by his relationship and grief with best friend Grigg.

The author didn't pull any punches when giving us the details of torture, which I actually appreciated. The raw approach made Nate's turmoil believable.

And while I liked Frank & Becky, and look forward to reading their story in the next book, I think they got a little too much page time in this book.

I also got a little tired of the heavy focus on relationship-centred thoughts each hero & heroine had, and would have liked to see the four of them have more thoughts/reflections/observations that strayed to other areas of interest.

Looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  RachelDavenSkinner | Mar 19, 2019 |
Hell on Wheels
3 Stars

Nate Weller has been in love with Ali Morgan from the first, but he is determined to keep her at arms length to protect her from a secret that could destroy them both. Ali has other plans, however, and when she becomes the target of a shadowy conspiracy, she naturally turns to Nate and his fellow Black Knights for help.

The story has potential, but the plotting is problematic and the writing style is jarring.

The basic premise is solid with a group of former special forces operatives working together on unsanctioned, undercover operations. Unfortunately, there are some glaring plot holes such as the villain’s decision to go after Ali when she hasn’t a clue that anything is amiss, and a disgraced CIA agent with ethical qualms. There is also the fact that the Black Knights are not exactly as covert as they would like to think, and what on earth are they doing riding around on motorcycles loud enough to wake the dead?!

Ali is likable enough although she is far too sweet and perky for my tastes, which runs to snarky and feisty, and her tendency toward verbal diarrhea and tossing her cookies at the drop of a hat gets really old, really quick. Nate is much more appealing mainly due to his sexy, brooding and tortured manner. Their romance is alright but nothing really special.

The writing is the most significant drawback as it suffers from weak sentence structure, unexplained military jargon, excessive references to popular culture and numerous names and nicknames to keep straight. Nevertheless, the secondary characters are engaging, particularly Frank and Becky whose story is next.

All in all, not bad for a debut book and I’m sufficiently interested in the characters to continue with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
~ 5 Hell On Wheels Stars ~

I am not a big contemporary reader and when I do pick up a contemporary read it’s usually a so so book. I have only found one other author that has blown me away and pulled me completely into the story. Julia Walker is now the second contemporary author that I will be keeping an eye on and reading.

Hell On Wheels is book one in the Black Knights Inc. series by Julia Ann Walker. I piked this series up, because everyone was giving the latest release good reviews, so I decide to check it out and I am so glad I did. We have special blacks ops type guys, bickers, suspense, and romance.

JWalker does a fantastic job pulling you into the story. I was swept away. WOW! I love that the couple Ali and Nate have a past history together. It really makes the romance/relationship that is growing that much more believable. Yes they have obstacles to over come, but that just helps bring them together and boy when they come together they light the sheets on fire. The sexual tension is off the charts and the sex was hot. The writing is excellent, flowing smoothly, and keeping the story plot going at a nice pace. All the characters are interesting and unique. I can’t wait to learn more about the guys of the Black Knights Inc. as they each get their own story. JWalker also sets up for the next couple in the series. I like how everything is put together. Friendships, relationships and more.

If you are looking for a tale that will have you laughing one moment and wiping tears the next then this book is a must. Its fast paced keeping you hooked from the first to last page.

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.

-- Jose Narosky
Prologue

Jacksonville, North Carolina
Outside the Morgan Household

THOSE SCREAMS...

Black Knights Inc. -- Behind the facade of their tricked-out motorcycle shop is an elite special ops team assigned the jobs too hot for anyone else to handle.

HOLD ON TIGHT...
Ex-Marine Nate "Ghost" Weller is an expert at keeping his cool -- and his distance -- which makes him one hell of a sniper. It's also how he keeps his feelings for Ali Morgan in check. Sweet, sexy Ali has always revved his engine, but she's his best friend's baby sister...and totally off limits.

ROUGH ROAD AHEAD
Ali's never seen anything sexier than Nate Weller straddling his custom Harley -- or the flash of danger in his eyes when she tells him she's in trouble. First something happened to her brother, and now she's become the target of a nasty international organization. With Nate, her life is in the most capable hands possible -- but her heart is another story altogether.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,401,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible