Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner…

Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner Party

by Nathan Hale

The Reed family struggles to survive the wagon train journey from Illinois to California as members of the ill-fated Donner Party.

A fun children's book concerning the Donner partys trip to California. ( )
  dswaddell | Aug 26, 2019 |
Nathan Hale tells a Red Coat and hangman about the Donner Party and their perilous journey from Springfield, Illinois to California. A quick, entertaining read where I learned (or relearned) a lot. Well researched, quirky sense of humor, and interesting asides led to a pleasurable read. ( )
  ewyatt | Aug 10, 2018 |
Most of us learned the historical facts behind the Donner Party expedition...but it was purely factual, lacking emotion/connection to the story. Without being overly gory, this non-fiction tale, is able to make an emotional connection to readers.
  dineenvallance | Nov 30, 2016 |
Written and illustrated in cartoon format, I can see a few students finding this book interesting and at the same time being educated about historical hazardous tales but the font is so small and the pages are so busy. ( )
  Glorydaze | Nov 30, 2015 |
I have to say this is my absolute favourite of the NHHT series so far! I have to say I was quite curious how he was going to keep the humour going with such a topic as the Donner Party. But just read the title and you can tell he takes an irreverent stance to keep this book funny, and probably the funniest of the lot. The author does become irreverent but, as a Catholic, I never thought he went over the line. It's a difficult subject to discuss without being judgemental and Hale has managed it. In fact, he's gone the other direction and suggests that cannibalism was/is a normal human response under such dire circumstances. But only one of his main characters feels this way, the other two have the normal human response of disgust. I think he's done the Donner Party justice and treated them respectfully. He doesn't focus on the cannibalism (hardly even using the word) but on the whole journey, the pig-headedness of Reed in using the shortcut and the final survival and rescue. In fact, we come away from the book just realizing how many actually safely made it home and the acts of bravery that some members unthinkingly committed. Of course, the story is full of violence and murder too. Just make sure you know this story well before handing it to a young or sensitive child and while I thoroughly enjoyed the humour I would caution that some may find this topic unsettling or offensive in this comedic setting. I love this series! On to book 4! ( )
  ElizaJane | Apr 10, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,930,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible