The Arrangement by Mary Balogh

The Arrangement

by Mary Balogh

Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas (caittilynn)
    caittilynn: Hero is similarly recovering from trauma after serving as a soldier. Also part of a series.

English (44)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (45)
Must read more in this Survivors series. Really enjoyable. ( )
  gogglemiss | Jun 14, 2016 |
This book was pretty amazing, the romance between Vincent and Sophia was slow in coming but fairly sprung off the pages towards the end. The uncertainty between the two and the arrangement that brought them together as a couple was extraordinary. Sophia is a strong woman, but she's been beaten down by life, first with a gambling father and an uncertain future, then with her aunt Mary - who could have cared less that she was around, and with her aunt in Barton Coombs - who cared even less than aunt Mary. She finds Vincent, or more like Vincent stumbles upon her good graces and saves her from a life of living on the street. Together with their humor and good nature they barrel through life and take its punches with bravado and cunning. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
My second book in the series to read, it’s also the second book of the Survivor’s Club series overall. It’s got a bit of a different tone than book three that I enjoyed, and the characters stood out in a different light.

I liked that this book had a gentler feel to it than the previous volume I read. Not to say that the fact of Vincent’s blindness and Sophie’s dire financial straits aren’t heavy and presented with the requisite seriousness and drama. Yet, I think that there’s a lighter, gentler romantic air to this one. That was a nice change of pace.

I think a lot of that lighter feel can be chalked up to the characters themselves. Vincent has an attitude that I could only dream of having in a similar situation. He takes his blindness in stride and gets on with his life with a minimum of fuss or drama. There are occasional moments where panic attacks occur, but he meets the challenge in his life with strength of will I can only admire.

Sophie also shined. Life throws a hell of a curve ball her way; if not for Vincent, she would have been in a very drastic situation. Past emotional trauma also makes for a damaged soul. Yet, her heart is big enough to take in Vincent with all his problems as well as her own. I liked that she didn’t dwell on her hardship-filled life; she got past it quick and looked at the positive that occurred when fate wove her life’s path with Vincent’s.

There were occasional forays into eye-rolling clichés. The whole showdown in the dark thing, I felt, was really unnecessary. Yet, unlike book 3, I didn’t feel that they weighed down this book. The sweet, sweet romance and the characterizations for our leads more than make up for any clichés that might have occurred.

I adored this installment for the Survivor’s Club. The romance was tender, and our lead characters strong despite the trauma. Even the odd cliché didn’t detract from my enjoyment; I still was enthralled by this tender romance. Highly recommended for lovers of this genre. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 14, 2016 |
"He felt the blood drain from his head, leaving it cold and clammy. He felt the breath cold in his nostrils and so thin that there seemed not enough of it to inhale. He felt all the terror of the unending darkness, of the sure knowledge that if he closed his eyes, as he did now, and opened them again, as he did not, he would still be blind. Always and forever."

"He would live his life. He would live it to the full. He would make something of it and of himself. He would not give in to either depression or hopelessness." ( )
  AzureStrawberry | Jan 12, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've been a fan of Mary Balogh since the 80's when I started reading her traditional regencies. This is the second book in the Survivor's Club series. And again Balogh did not disappoint. Her writing is so solid that I find myself engrossed from the first page.

This book tells the story of Vincent Hunt who was blinded in his first battle of the war. Vincent unexpectedly finds himself inheriting a title, money and an estate while he was healing from his injuries. His mother and sisters with the best of intentions took over running the estate and Vincent is finding it difficult to regain control of his life and his estate. And dealing with his disablility has not been easy. His female relations are putting pressure on him to marry and when they invite a young woman and her family for a visit hoping he'll make a proposal, he rebels and runs away to the house he grew up in. I liked the way Balogh portrayed Vincent's blindness. His frustrations, his need for independence, his panic attacks - very realistic.

Sophia Fry lives nearby Vincent's family home. She is your typical poor relation who is treated very badly and eventualy thrown out. Vincent proposes a marriage of convenience. Sophia is a great well written character too and I loved how she helped Vincent figure out what he can do in spite of his blindness. Sophia expects that when he feels more independent and self sufficient that he will no longer need her. But along the way they have fallen in love.

Good story. I look forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  reneebooks | Mar 5, 2015 |
When it became clear to Vincent Hunt, Viscount Darleigh, that if he stayed at home for the remainder of the spring he would without any doubt at all be betrothed, even married, before summer had properly settled in, he fled.

THE ARRANGEMENT (Description from Amazon.com)

Desperate to escape his mother’s matchmaking, Vincent Hunt, Lord Darleigh, flees with his valet. Blinded by a cannon blast on the Napoleonic battlefields, Vincent needs time alone to heal and reflect, away from the well-meaning meddling of his family and those who run his vast estate. But anonymity proves impossible even in the rustic reaches of a country inn, and soon another marital trap is sprung. Luckily, he is saved in time by a stranger with a captivating voice that stirs something deep inside. And when Miss Sophia Fry’s intervention on his behalf finds her unceremoniously booted from her guardian’s home, Vincent is compelled to act. He may be blind but he can see a solution to both their problems: marriage. Yet he never imagined a wedding of convenience would open his heart to a love he never expected.

Quiet, unassuming Sophia may be invisible to nearly everyone, but even a woman unflatteringly called “mouse” isn’t going to stay silent when an unsuspecting gentleman is about to be trapped into marriage. At first, she rejects Vincent’s proposal. But when such a gloriously handsome and heartbreakingly vulnerable man persuades her that he needs a wife of his own choosing as much as she needs protection from destitution, she agrees. Her alternative is too dreadful to contemplate.

But how can an all-consuming fire burn from such a cold arrangement? As they conspire to help each other find a new place in the world, friendship and camaraderie lead to sweet seduction and erotic pleasure. Dare they believe a bargain born of desperation might lead them both to a love destined to be?

Desperate to escape his mothers matchmaking Vincent Hunt Viscount Darleigh flees to a remote country village. But even there another marital trap is sprung. So when Miss Sophia Frys intervention on his behalf finds her unceremoniously booted from her guardians home Vincent is compelled to act. He may have been blinded in battle but he can see a solution to both their problems: marriage. At first quiet unassuming Sophia rejects Vincents proposal. But when such a gloriously handsome man persuades her that he needs a wife of his own choosing as much as she needs protection from destitution she agrees. Her alternative is too dreadful to contemplate. But how can an all consuming fire burn from such a cold arrangement? As friendship and camaraderie lead to sweet seduction and erotic pleasure dare they believe a bargain born of desperation might lead them both to a love destined to be?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mary Balogh's book The Arrangement was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,676,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible