Beyond Opinion: Living the Faith We Defend…

Beyond Opinion: Living the Faith We Defend (original 2007; edition 2010)

by Ravi Zacharias

Member:Kirk1810
Title:Beyond Opinion: Living the Faith We Defend
Authors:Ravi Zacharias
Info:Thomas Nelson (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Apologetics

Beyond Opinion: Living the Faith We Defend by Ravi Zacharias (2007)

Radio Replies. Second Volume by Fathers Rumble and Carty (CatholicGal)
    CatholicGal: This has great answers to very question about catholism under the son. It has good answers to many questions.
    The Holy Bible by Richard Challoner (CatholicGal)
    CatholicGal: One of the more literal catholic translations. Translated by a Catholic Bishop.
    Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (StephenBarkley)
    StephenBarkley: Almost every author in Beyond Opinion quotes Mere Christianity.
(20)

I received a copy of this book through Thomas Nelson's Booksneeze program. The book is a collection of essays by various authors. It is divided into three parts. Part One is titled Giving Answers and deals with challenges from different worldviews. I found the chapters dealing with challenges from Eastern Religions and challenges from science particularly helpful. Most chapters in this section dealt with issues I have read a little about previously but they all offered something new to think about. Part two was titled internalizing the questions and answers. This section contained the highlight of the book for me - the chapter on the trinity as a paradigm for spiritual transformation. Lots to think about in this chapter and I will definitely be going back for a reread.The third part, titled living out the answers deals with the church's role in apologetics. A point that came through strongly throughout the book is the need to seek understanding of what others actually believe first and the importance of living a life that is being transformed when we are seeking to share the gospel. In the conclusion Ravi Zacharius sums up with the reminder that the apologist is trying to win the person not the argument. "Tossing a verbal grenade down the chimney chute will not do" The book is not a really easy read but if you want something thought provoking I'd recommend it. ( )
  mels_71 | Jan 21, 2011 |
Those who attempt to defend the truth of Christianity understand how difficult of a task it can be in our modern world. We live in the midst of many people with whom there is significant disagreement about the most fundamental matters of existence, and we often feel entirely overwhelmed and under-equipped to promote the truths of God in Christ around us.

Thankfully we have Beyond Opinion: Living the Faith We Defend, by Ravi Zacharias. The subtitle might be a little misleading. While it is true that some parts of the book focus on the praxis of Christianity, the book is really an apologetic field manual for the early twenty-first century.

Zacharias writes a few sections and is the general editor; the book includes discussions from a range of individuals with expertise in various aspects of apologetics. The only name that stood out to me was Alister McGrath, but the insight of the others was beneficial.

The book is broken up into sections. The first section is "Giving an Answer." The first part of that section focuses on various challenges-- from postmodernism, from atheism, from the collegiate environment, from Islam, from "eastern" religions, and from science. While all were quite beneficial, I would suggest the "Challenges from Science" chapter as required reading for everyone. In 30 pages the author there does better at handling questions regarding faith and science than can be found in many books of much more significant size.

Part of the value of this book is the second part of the first section-- a discussion of the various mindsets, worldviews, and unanswered questions that often exist behind the surface. Discussions include conversational apologetics, broader cultural challenges, the age-old question of evil and suffering, and challenges arising from cultural differences.

The second section begins to move toward the idea of "living the faith" by turning apologetics inward. Discussions focus on the concept of the Trinity as critical for spiritual transformation, the growth processes inherent in suffering and persecution, and the pitfalls of idolatry, denial, and self-deception in life. The book concludes with the third section by Zacharias on the advancement of intellectually-based apologetics among Christians and a conclusion about the need for apologetics today.

Beyond Opinion fills a needed void-- it is a robust intellectual defense of Christianity that exposes the deficiencies of other worldviews. It is not content to skim the surface of difficulties but probes deeply into not just the unbeliever but also the believer and the challenges faced by both and all. It can provide benefit for everyone who knows that they should have some kind of answer for what they believe and who seek some way to communicate the Gospel of Christ in the twenty-first century. Unbelievers and adherents of other religions will find themselves quite challenged by what is presented here. Beyond Opinion is strongly recommended for believers for consideration and growth!

*-- book received as part of an early review program ( )
  deusvitae | Sep 20, 2010 |
Beyond Opinion is a collection of essays on defending the faith. While Ravi Zacharias only wrote 4 of the chapters (including the introduction and conclusion), almost every other author is a member of his ministry (RZIM).

The book is divided into two sections:

1. Giving an Answer [traditional apologetics]
2. Internalizing the Questions and Answers [how our lives can line up with our words]

The second half of the book is the most valuable. Jeyachandran’s meditations on the Trinity were especially thought-provoking. I found it interesting that the second half of the book is the part that lined up with the entire volume’s subtitle, “Living the Faith We Defend”.

The first half was a mixed bag. When the author respected the challenger (e.g. Alister McGrath on Atheism, or Jeyachandran on Eastern Religions), there was a lot of insight and apologetic information. On the other hand, when the author disdained the challenger (e.g. Amy Orr-Ewing on Postmodernism, or Sam Soloman on Islam), the tone was arrogant and off-putting.

This book is a hearty read. The 360 pages are packed with fine print. That said, if you’re a Believer interested in defending your faith by both your words and your lifestyle, this book is an excellent read.

Disclaimer: I received this book for free as a member of Thomas Nelson’s Booksneeze program. ( )
  StephenBarkley | Jul 20, 2010 |

Ramsden, MichaelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Soloman, SamContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thomas, AlisonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thomas, I'ChingContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0849919681, Hardcover)

A Definitive Masterwork from the World’s Leading Christian Apologist

Throughout his career, Ravi Zacharias has faced some of the most difficult questions ever asked about the Christian faith. The most troublesome question of all, however, came from a Hindu friend. “If this conversion is truly supernatural,” he asked, “why is it not more evident in the lives of so many Christians that I know?” Beyond Opinion is Dr. Zacharias’s response.

In addition to his own contributions, Ravi Zacharias brings together the global team of Ravi Zacharias International Ministries, including Alister McGrath and John Lennox, to suggest a new vision for Christian apologetics in this century. Their aim is an apologetic governed by human relationship and committed to winning people rather than arguments. Speaking from their experiences and expertise, the contributors offer guidance on a broad range of topics, including: Postmodern Challenges and the Bible Challenges from Atheism Challenges from Islam Conversational Apologetics Existential Challenges of Evil and Suffering
More than a book of apologetics, Beyond Opinion will equip you intellectually, spiritually, and relationally “to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:34 -0400)

Addresses issues such as the validity of the Bible, the hypocrisy of its followers, and the need to make a new statement on faith, allowing Christians everywhere to simultaneously defend the faith and be transformed by it into people of compassion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,499,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible