Political Suicide

by Michael Palmer

Series: Dr. Lou Welcome (2)

Supervising an unrepentant alcoholic doctor who has been implicated in the death of a powerful Congressman, Dr. Lou Welcome uncovers a wealth of incriminating facts, including the doctor's alleged affair with the victim's wife, before stumbling on a high-level conspiracy that places Lou's life at risk.… (more)

medical thriller.

Dr. Lou Welcome manages cases at a treatment center for physicians with drug or alcohol problems. He helps the doctors through treatment and beyond, helping them to avoid losing their licenses as well as their families. When one of his clients calls him in desperation one day, the problem is not alcohol: Dr. Gary McHugh is certain that he will be charged with murder.

McHugh does not remember committing the crime but circumstances point straight at him. Lou finds the case compelling and is assisted by a doctor-hating attorney in tracking down the truth. And what a complex road they are on.

The road leads to a special section of the Marine Corps, led by one man with an obsession: Whatever it takes. Lou discovers some odd circumstances about the men in this group, and how they solve problems.

The story ventures into what seems like a bit of science fiction, skewed just enough to sound possible. It's a thriller with a show-stopping climax.

Just the ticket for that airplane ride. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
current day Wash DC — dr clinic (Physician Wellness)
Cong killed — how to Marines
fight with no fear — Drugs —
"whatever it takes"
good mystery

Dr. Lou Welcome, from Palmer's bestselling Oath of Office, is back in this heart stopping medical thriller. A desperate phone call embroils Lou in scandal and murder involving Dr. Gary McHugh, known around the Capital as the “society doc.” Lou has been supervising McHugh, formerly a black-out drinker, through his work with the Physician Wellness Office. McHugh has been very cavalier about his recovery, barely attending AA and refusing a sponsor. But Lou sees progress, and the two men are becoming friends. Now, McHugh has been found unconscious in his wrecked car after visiting a patient of his, the powerful Congressman Elias Colston, Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee. Soon after McHugh awakens in the hospital ER, Colston's wife returns home to find her husband shot dead in their garage. She then admits to the police that she had just broken off a long-standing affair with McHugh.
  christinejoseph | May 30, 2018 |
As usual, a great audio---I'm not all that fussy with small problem details in such thrillers so I was very happy to have this background going while I was working on something that just required my hands. Moved right along---typical Michael Palmer. ( )
  nyiper | Jun 29, 2014 |
Thanks to Michael Palmer for sharing the message throughout the book. Seeing slogans and use of sponsors and walking the walk in the midst of a crisis is almost like reading an accelerated Big Book chapter. I claimed my seat identifying with the crazy thinking and actions, and with seeing the H.A.L.T. kick in at the right times.
The only problem I had was your changing the wording of Step One to accommodate those with addiction problems other than alcohol. Please leave AA's steps as written - they're a nice tradition. All those people with other addictions are still welcome at open meetings! Very welcome!
If you don't understand my review, it's because it's meant for those in AA.... it's a type of meeting-speak.

If you would like a way of living in sobriety, try several AA meetings, and be sure to introduce yourself as a newcomer because AA is so very much about the "Fellowship". I am so very grateful for those in AA who brought me to sobriety and a much better way of life. Peace. Serenity. Laughter. Freedom from fear (without the red drink).

Thanks, Michael Palmer, for a fun read and a great meeting. ( )
  Patbilly | Apr 29, 2014 |

Thanks, Michael Palmer, for a fun read and a great meeting. ( )
  Patbilly | Apr 29, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,702,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible