Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Homeland by Cory Doctorow

Homeland (2013)

by Cory Doctorow

Series: Little Brother (2)

English (33)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (36)
Marcus' paranoid tale in a slightly more dystopian reality is bracketed by Burning Man and full of protests and info-dumps. He's a smart ass kid which is annoying and endearing at the same time. It was a good follow-up to Little Brother. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
At first glance, Homeland is classic Doctorow. Let us review what that means:

1. A declining freedoms issue at the forefront of the story, presented in a black and white context, which spills over into black and white characters. Either they're heroes or complete douchebags. An overall lack of subtlety.

2. Plausible description of society under the rule of such freedom-encroaching laws. Not overdone, the sky is not falling, but not sugar-coating or dismissing the effects either - the nasty stuff is in there.

3. Implausible way of how a group of teenagers outsmarts the collective "homeland security" industry and government.

4. Good knowledge and utilization of existing, real-life technology that the characters use to overcome their obstacles, or else is used against them by the bad guys.

For the most part, this still holds true in Homeland. However, as the novel draws closer to the end, it starts getting more apparent that our boy Cory, as well as his characters, have done a bit of growing recently.

Marcus Yallow, our hero, is not as idealistic as he used to be. He does start wondering if this is all worth it and at what cost, and if he really is able to make a difference at all. He is tempted by a less than magnanimous deal that would buy him some peace. And, he notices that even if you elect the right people into office, it does not necesserily. All I have to say is, finally!

Although you don't really see it till nearly the end, there is at least one grey character in there. Somebody who looks like he might be the best guy ever, but when push comes to shove, he might take the easier route out.

Hell, there is even a hint that the messed up DHS/private sector rah rah supertrooper might have some personality beyond that of a Nazi concentration camp guard. Just a hint, though, we don't even want to see her as human, having a messed up family or breast cancer or shit like that.

I have issues with the ending, since it doesn't really resolve anything, but that might just be keeping up with the newer, grayer dimension of Cory's world - good does not always triumph over evil. Besides, if the open ending leads to another novel, who am I to complain? ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Marcus Yallow, at just nineteen, already has a past as a cyberactivist, exposing embarrassing secrets of the US government. But now the harrowing events of Little Brother are behind him, and he just wants to enjoy the Burning Man festival and then find a job--job-hunting having been unsuccessful since the previous year's events forced him to drop out of college.

His past catches up with him at Burning Man, though, producing on the one hand an offer of a job as webmaster for the campaign of an independent candidate for the California state senate, and on the other hand, a bittorrent file containing hundreds of thousands of documents revealing the darkest secrets of the US security establishment. And on the last night of Burning Man, he sees the woman who gave him the file and the key to it being kidnapped by a nightmare figure from his past, Kerry Johnstone.

The next few weeks plunge Marcus and his girlfriend Angie back into cyber-intrigue and dodging both government and private sector goons. Along the way, he learns the strength of friendship and the limits of political idealism.

I haven't read Little Brother, but I found I was able to pick up enough about previous events to follow what was going on. Marcus is convincingly nineteen years old, idealistic, still inexperienced in many ways despite past events, very bright, and extremely likable. The independent candidate he goes to work for is almost, but not quite, too perfect. The conflict between working for his candidate, who might make a first step toward challenging the corruption, and getting the secret files out is developed very exquisitely and painfully. Wil Wheaton, who has an excellent and very expressive voice, does the reading.

Recommended.

I bought this book. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
This sequel to 'Little Brother' joins Marcus Yallow some years after the events of Little Brother, still trying to extricate himself from the evil clutches of the security services.
Does not have the punch of the first entry, though I am minded to try cold filtered coffee!
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
Disappointing, but still entertaining. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Mr. Doctorow is bang up-to-date (as Orwell never was) on the uses of rapidly changing technology, both good and bad. If you want to keep up, there's a four-page appendix on how to protect your privacy and use the Net productively—so long as you're allowed, that is.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Tom Shippey (Feb 19, 2013)

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shimizu, YukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice and Poesy, who make me whole.
Attending Burning Man made me simultaneously one of the most photographed people on the planet and one of the least surveilled humans in the modern world.

A current day story about teens use of technology that gets them mixed up with political campaigns, espionage, and hacking government documents. It was too long and drawn out with descriptions that would only appeal to like minded computer geeks.

When Marcus, once called M1k3y, receives a thumbdrive containing evidence of corporate and governmental treachery, his job, fame, family, and well-being, as well as his reform-minded employer's election campaign, are all endangered.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,505,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible