Golden Trail

by Kristen Ashley

Series: The 'Burg (3)

Tanner Layne and Raquel Merrick fell in love young, hard and fast and both of them knew a beautiful life they thought would be forever. Until Rocky left Layne, no explanation, no going back. Layne escapes The 'Burg only to come back years later because his ex-wife has hooked herself to the town jerk and Layne needs to make sure his sons get raised right. Layne manages to avoid Rocky but when Layne gets three bullets drilled into him while investigating a dirty cop, he can't do that because Rocky stops avoiding Layne. They make a deal to work together to expose the dirty cop but they have no idea the strength of their enduring attraction or the sheer evil at work in The 'Burg. As Tanner Layne and Raquel Merrick play their game and dance around the pull that draws them together, Layne has to discover the dark secrets buried so deep in Rocky's heart she doesn't even know they're there at the same time untangle a sinister web of crime so abhorrent it has to be stopped.. at all costs. And to do it, Layne has to enlist everyone, including his ex-CIA mentor, Rocky's detective brother, the town's unpredictable informant and Layne's two teenage sons all the while stopping Rocky from doing something crazy and keeping their game secret so Layne won't get himself dead.… (more)

I loved this book.
At first i don't know if it was just me but i was confused as to what was going on,i think its because it seems to start in the middle of the story but once the story line kicked in i was hooked.

The prologue has Layne in hospital, he's been shot three times. He's visited by Rocky, who is his ex girlfriend who left him 18 years ago and really hurt him. She left suddenly, no explanation, it was the end, she was done. He never really recovered and never knew why.

All through the book, we get small pieces of information about her past but it makes you ask all the way why did she leave... its important cos you know she's gonna run again and so does Layne.

The two boys, Tripp and Jasper are amazing, funny and so endearing. Dev, Layne's friend is also a great character.

In the middle of some really heavy conversations KA manages to inject humour which is so clever.

The emotional pull of this book is amazing, why she ran, her past, step relationships and ex's. Fantastic.

Don't know how KA manages it but she pulls at your heart strings..

In the years they are desperate, they are both married, divorced. He has 2 teenage boys.
Small ex drama from a woman he is seeing before Hero and heroine actually get together officially for real.
Ex drama for her, cheating hubby.
No intimate scenes with anyone other than the Hero and heroine.
HEA. ( )
  izzied | Oct 29, 2020 |
I love the 'Burg series. They're the kind of books that don't just tug at the heartstrings, they grasp a firm hold and twist. When I'm in the mood to release some emotions they're the perfect catalyst. The characters are well developed as well, definitely 'complex' (which is always a win).

The drama, the tension, the hotties! (had to be said). Hit's the spot. ( )
  Damiella | Aug 18, 2020 |
4.1 stars

I never hide how much I love this author. I have yet to read something by her that I didn't like. There are certain ones that stand out at the top and others that are good but don't hold the same oomph that others do. This was one of the others.

This took me a lot longer to get invested in. For some reason I just wasn't clicking with the characters or the dreams. I made myself continue on because I hoped to see glimpses of last characters. However, by the 50% Mark I finally was hooked. So many storylines of fires that Layne needed to put out (Rocky, the ex, the mom, The bad cop,...) It just got overwhelming. I liked the characters though, and loved Tripp and Nadler and their relationship with their dad. And I really enjoyed the epilogue in this book.

So, while not my favorite it still was good. ( )
  MagicalRi | Dec 22, 2019 |
Tanner is a PI who returns to town to take care of his boys, after he had been shot working on finding crooked cops, Rocky returns to his life. Rocky left him with no explaination and tore his heart out 18 years ago, while he's afraid she might do it again his unwilling to let her get away this time. Lots of action with all the investigations Tanner has his fingers in and I was frustrated with the reason for Rocky leaving him, it shouldn't have taken 18 years to get out in the open and dealt with.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Not my favorite in the series and I think that was because of just getting Tanner Layne’s POV through the book. The highlights were the secondary characters and seeing where they were at in their lives from the previous books. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |

Until Rocky left Layne, no explanation, no going back.

As Tanner Layne and Raquel Merrick play their game and dance around the pull that draws them together, Layne has to discover the dark secrets buried so deep in Rocky's heart she doesn't even know they're there at the same time untangle a sinister web of crime so abhorrent it has to be stopped... at all costs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,030,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible