Games of the Heart

by Kristen Ashley

Series: The 'Burg (4)

From the balcony of his house, Mike Haines can see the quiet, commonplace beauty of the Holliday farm. But what he remembers is the little sister of his high school girlfriend, Dusty who grew up there. As a teen, Dusty had gone off the rails but when she was a kid, she was sweet, she was funny and she had a special bond with Mike. But after high school, she took off and Mike never saw her again. Then tragedy strikes Dusty's family, she comes back into town and Mike thinks she hasn't changed back to the sweet, funny girl he knew but instead continued to be selfish and thoughtless, leaving her family alone to deal with their mourning. So he seeks her out and confronts her in an effort to understand what went wrong.… (more)

I was so glad that Mike got someone really good for him (I did feel a bit regretful about him in At Peace.. he's a nice guy and it was a touch sad to see him disappointed). Dusty was just right for him but I must say that in this book (especially in the beginning) Mike seemed to have disconnected any governers on his mouth. Talk about saying things without forethought.

Still, in the end it all worked out even with the 'mandatory tension' (and he learnt very well where his loyalty lay).

To counter this, one of the things which really annoys me is someone 'wallowing' so Rhonda really annoyed me. Personally I think her family was waaaay too patient with her (I mean it was more than three quarters of the book before she was confronted and made to face the way things were).

Overall it was a good book but still it was the least favourite of this series for me ( )
  Damiella | Aug 18, 2020 |
Mike is now a top 10 BBF and I've got a girl crush on Dusty.

Loved everything about this book. And by everything I really mean EVERYTHING. I have had a soft spot for Mike since he was first introduced. That soft spot turned into something so much more. He might be my favorite KA hero, and by might, he totally is. I loved his alpha, over attentive ways. I loved how he loved. Add in Dusty, sweet lord, she was a little firecracking ray of sunshine. Seeing another love story blossom in the background made this book even better.how that is possible, I don't know, but it was.

I have loved the Rock Chicks series, and the Fantasy series and went back and forth between which series was my favorite. Yet, after reading this series, it's no contest. It this one hands down. ( )
  MagicalRi | Dec 22, 2019 |
Mike's a cop and these two had a pawerful atraction when they were teenagers, then something happened to Dusty and she changed. After her brother dies, Dustry returns to the Burg and her and Mike reunite in a big way. Mike's a dick and thank goodness she walked away from that. Equally good that Mike got a chance to straighten up and apologize and fix it. Family drama as Dusty's sister tries to sell her nephews farm out from under them, teenage love and an evil land developer.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Read/Listened for Fun (Kindle/Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 3.75
Character Rating: 4.25

Audio Rating: 3.50 (not part of the overall rating)

Quick Thoughts: I know many thought Mike/Dusty were too "talkative" but that made me love Games of the Heart more than I would have. The "suspense" in this one wasn't as good as the rest of this series where sometimes the mystery saved the book but since I loved the characters this didn't bug me much. Also the kids kind of stole the show--that was a very sweet side romance.

Audio Thoughts:
Narrated By Rachel Fulginiti / Length: 21 hrs and 36 mins

This was the best so far audio wise but really not a single book in this series has had great narration. I hold out hope for some of the others but alas just not up to quality that I expect out of audio narration. I think Rachel would probably knock it out of the park on a normal sized book but by the end she sounded a bit "tired". Long books are hard to narrate.

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Dec 2, 2015 |

Then tragedy strikes Dusty's family, she comes back into town and Mike thinks she hasn't changed back to the sweet, funny girl he knew but instead continued to be selfish and thoughtless, leaving her family alone to deal with their mourning. So he seeks her out and confronts her in an effort to understand what went wrong and to force her to sort herself out.

He finds out quickly he's wrong about Dusty Holliday. Very wrong. And right after Mike discovers that, the bond they had years before snaps back into place in ways he would never suspect.

But Mike Haines had a bad marriage then he played games of the heart for a good woman. And lost. In order to protect himself and his kids, he's cautious, he's careful to read the signs and he's not interested in finding a woman he has to fix.

Then he learns what happened to Dusty and he thinks she needs to be fixed. He swings, he misses and in this new game of hearts, for Dusty, Mike just got strike three.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,720,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible