Fifty Shames of Earl Grey: A Parody

by Fanny Merkin

From Fanny Merkin comes a shrewd, laugh-out-loud parody of E. L. James's bestselling Fifty Shades of Grey.

This book is a parody of the popular 2012 book 50 Shades of Grey. Having never read the original, it made little sense to me to try reading this parody, but it was such a short book, I tried it anyway. Unfortunately, reading this without the context of the original, the book was just stupid to me. Admittedly, this was my own limitation, not necessarily indicative of a flawed book. If you've read the E.L. James original, and are interested in something which is similar to, but pokes fun at the original, you may find this book amusing. It's a parody, so it's supposed to be silly. But if you haven't read the original Fifty Shades of Grey,there'll be no anchor for the ridiculous side of this book, and you may be as confused and disappointed as I. ( )
  rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
4.5 stars. If you are looking for a book that will make you laugh until you cry, then you need to pick up a copy of Fifty Shames of Earl Gray. It is a rollicking good time that you do not want to miss. To read my review in its entirety, please visit http://www.bookreviewsandmorebykathy.com/2012/07/26/fifty-shames-of-earl-grey/ ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
Read my full review of the book at seriesousbookreviews.com! Spoiler Free!

NOTE: I never finished this book. I got to Chapter 3 before I gave up. Find out why below...

It shouldn't be too hard to write a parody of Fifty Shades of Grey. I mean, people can simply read a line from the book aloud and laugh.

I think it tries too hard to be "out-there". The story is just plain odd and weird, not funny. Some lines (maybe about 3 sentences of the 15 pages I managed to read) were actually witty and encouraged me to keep reading. They were what I was expecting the book to be like and not random calls from Beyoncé or a 40 year old roommate bits we get. The wit was just too few and far between so I had to put this book down.

OVERALL: This was awful--I don't know what else to say!

seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
Some parts are hilarious, while others ventured off into such bizarre randomness that left me going "WTF?" The start is absolute dynamite (the part about the hand buzzer!), but my attention wandered a bit in the middle, maybe because I haven't actually read the original, so some remarks might have gone over my head. (I'm aware of the infamous tampon scene though, and the repetitive "long fingers", and how she keeps on tripping and doesn't have e-mail.) Even so, there was still enough material for someone who hasn't read it to find this book funny. What is amazing is that the author was able to sustain a parody of this length. It also doesn't go on for too long, thankfully. Just when the energy starts to flag, the pace quickens, and we're soon ushered into the ending before I can let out any groans of complaint.

There is a lot of text-based humor (a few times I had to make a mental "I see what you did there" hat tip to the author), but there is also so much physical comedy here that I kept on imagining this as a movie, like "Vampires Suck" did for Twilight. I wouldn't mind if they used this as a basis! I'd watch that. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
When i read this this book first time, i laughed.
When i read this book the second time, i laughed harder!

Here's the contract between Anna Steal and Earl Grey:
c. Good looking
d. Wealthy
e. Sociopathic
f. All of the above

I feel sexiest when I’m wearing:
a. New shoes
b. A slinky black dress
c. Nipple clamps
d. All of the above

I’m afraid of:
a. Being flogged
b. Being tied up
c. Running out of toilet paper in a public restroom
d. None of the above

My favorite body part is:
a. My butt
b. My boobs
c. My eyes
d. My partner’s eyes

Toys I would like to try include:
a. Vibrators
b. Butt plugs
c. Hello Kitty–brand toasters
d. All of the above

I am:
a. Team Edward
b. Team Jacob
c. Team Edward Does Jacob

I find it really hot when a man:
a. Listens to me
b. Cooks dinner for me
c. Canes my ass like a Singapore prison warden

One extracurricular activity I’ve always wanted to try is:
a. “Dirty Sanchez”
b. “Rusty trombone”
c. “Amish plow”
d. “Abraham Lincoln”

In a relationship, I prefer to be:
a. Submissive
b. Dominant
c. Awake

One day, I’d really like to:
a. Meet Tom Cruise
b. Go skydiving
c. Have sex with Earl Grey
d. All of the above, at the same time
The amount of pain I can tolerate on a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is “none” and 5 is “listening to anything by Fergie or the Black-Eyed Peas,” is:
1–2–3–4–5

You have to read this book, it's friggin hilarious.
I eye him suspiciously. “You’re a strange man, Mr. Grey.”
“You have no idea,” he says, finishing his banana off.

This is one of the funniest books i've read, ever! If you asked me to choose favorite quotes, i would have to throw the entire thing at you. There is one of the scenes i truly love, and that is the end with the Count..

READ THIS!!!! READ IT!!! ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |

Young, arrogant tycoon Earl Grey seduces the naïve coed Anna Steal with his overpowering good looks and staggering amounts of money, but will she be able to get past his fifty shames, including shopping at Walmart on Saturdays, bondage with handcuffs, and his love of BDSM (Bards, Dragons, Sorcery, and Magick)? Or will his dark secrets and constant smirking drive her over the edge? [retrieved 5/4/18 from Amazon.com]

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,992,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible