Wild Invitation (2013)

by Nalini Singh

Series: Psy-Changeling (Anthology 1, containing 0.1, 3.5, 9.5, 10.5)

Four novellas based in the Psy-changeling universe include "Stroke of Enticement," in which a young teacher arouses the animal from a leopard changeling; and "Declaration of Courtship," in which a shy wolf finds herself pursued by a SnowDancer.

Audio April 2018: I have no complaints. I very much enjoyed the audio of all these novellas. It was a lot of fun revisiting the Psy-Changeling world and listening to the stories come to life. Highly recommend reading or listening to this series.

If you are a fan of the Psy-Changeling series then you don’t want to miss out on these four great novellas.

Beat of Temptation #0.5 - 5 Stars

This one takes place several years before Slave to Sensation. Here we see a very young 19-year-old Tamsyn, who became the healer to the cats at a very young age. We see her relationship or lack of one with Nate who’s 29. These two have known since Tam turned 15 that they where mates, but the age difference plays a part in their relationship, because Nate wants Tam to have the freedom she deserves first.

This story was emotional, sad, and full of lots and lots of sexual frustration and tension.

Stroke of Enticement #3.5 - 5 Stars

Here we meet Annie, a shy human school teacher and Zach a sexy cat changeling. Annie’s a loner. Her parents had love, but then it died, and she doesn't want that, so she doesn’t think Zach will stay around. Zach is caring and does a fabulous job wooing his mate, but doesn’t understand why the bond hasn’t clicked yet.

Trust and commitment are the main focus for these two. The romance happens within the first 48hrs, but Singh does a fast track a month after to see the dynamics of there relationship. It was a sweet loving story to read. Giving us a different kind of relationship and challenges to work through.

Declaration of Courtship #9.5 - 4 Stars

Here we meet Grace, a submissive wolf and Cooper a high ranking SnowDancer lieutenant who is going to court Grace. Cooper’s a dominant wolf and must learn how to handle Grace and Grace must learn to come to grips with the sub/dom wolf tendencies and not let her submissive nature rule her.

This paring is hard sometimes for the changelings and doesn’t always work out. It presents several challenges. Singh was able to bring two opposites together without having them compromise something in order to be a unit, a mated pair. It’s full of sexual tension, sizzling encounters, and also very tender and sweet moments.

Texture of Intimacy #10.5 - 5 Stars

This one contains Lara and Walker’s story from Kiss of Snow. They don’t get their own novel, but they do come together in Kiss of Snow. I loved that we get to further explore their relationship. We get to see inside Walker’s mind, his past, his feelings, and his growing family. We also get a little focus on Alice and insight into possible future pairings, such as Tai and Evie.

This paring is also of a different kind with Walker being a Psy and Lara a Changeling. It was sweet to read about them after their mating and see where their relationship is at. It’s sizzling and tender.

Singh never fails to impress. The sexual tension is thick and the characters are lovable and memorable. I very much loved these novellas.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
I've had Nalini in my TBR pile for a long time, but still haven't managed to read more than a few pages until now. (That's not a reflection on her writing. It's a reflection on my flitty reading habits.) I decided to pick up Wild Invitation because it was a book of novellas and I'm glad that I did. I thoroughly enjoyed these stories and would highly recommend this book to anyone thinking about checking her writing out. ( )
  JordanSummers | Mar 31, 2020 |
I read this anthology a bit too soon in the series so I got spoiled on some things that happen later on in the series. But it was more of who "mates" with who stuff and not too much in what happens in the overall story arc. The first half of the collection is fine to read by the time I read it but the last two stories were where the spoilers were. Granted one gave away the plot of the book that I am reading now since I am way ahead of what I am actually posting about. More good fluffy reading I just need to have read it further down the list than where I read it. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
This gets on so many shelves because there are so many of the elements that make me like these themes in the stories in this book. I had already read the first two but it is nice to have them all collected together. They're all great!!

In Beat of Temptation, there is so much delicious angst! Tamsyn wants so much to be with Nathan and he pushes her away. A nice Big Misunderstanding where she is tormented by the idea that he doesn't want her! I love this stuff!! (4.5 stars)

Stroke of Enticement is my favorite Psy-Changling short story, and one of my favorite stories overall. Chubby, disabled, spinsterish schoolteacher being charmed by a hunky leopard? And an insensitive mom to boot? Right up my alley!!! (5 stars)

Declaration of Courtship has a bit of the angstish tension I love too, with submissive Grace feeling unsure of herself and sexy Cooper drawing her in. (3.5 stars)

Texture of Intimacy is a sweet look at Walker and Lara's relationship, which was a nice epilogue to the bits and pieces of their story that we've gotten across the books (3 stars) ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |

Beat of Temptation #0.5 - 5 Stars

Stroke of Enticement #3.5 - 5 Stars

Declaration of Courtship #9.5 - 4 Stars

Texture of Intimacy #10.5 - 5 Stars

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,985,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible