dismiss

Unfettered: Tales by Masters of Fantasy by…

Unfettered: Tales by Masters of Fantasy

by Shawn Speakman (Editor)

Other authors: Daniel Abraham (Contributor), Jennifer Bosworth (Contributor), Peter V. Brett (Contributor), Terry Brooks (Contributor), Jacqueline Carey (Contributor)17 more, Blake Charlton (Contributor), David Anthony Durham (Contributor), Lev Grossman (Contributor), Kevin Hearne (Contributor), Robert Jordan (Contributor), Mark Lawrence (Contributor), Todd Lockwood (Contributor), Naomi Novik (Contributor), Peter Orullian (Contributor), Robert V.S. Redick (Contributor), Patrick Rothfuss (Contributor), R.A. Salvatore (Contributor), Brandon Sanderson (Contributor), Michael J. Sullivan (Contributor), Eldon Thompson (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor), Tad Williams (Contributor)

Series: Unfettered (1), Iron Druid Chronicles (short story "The Chapel Perilous", 0.1), The Annwn Cycle (Short Story "The Unfettered Knight")

You define life or it defines you. In Shawn Speakman's case, it was both. Lacking health insurance and diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2011, Shawn quickly accrued a massive medical debt that he did not have the ability to pay. That's when New York Times bestselling author Terry Brooks offered to donate a short story that Shawn could sell to help alleviate those bills--and suggested he ask the same of his other writer friends. Unfettered is the result: an anthology built in order to relieve that debt, featuring 23 short stories by Patrick Rothfuss, Terry Brooks, Tad Williams, Carrie Vaughn, Jacqueline Carey, Peter V. Brett, Peter Orullian, R. A. Salvatore, Todd Lockwood, Black Charlton, Daniel Abraham, Kevin Hearne, Mark Lawrence, David Anthony Durham, Jennifer Bosworth, Robert V.S. Redick, Eldon Thompson, Naomi Novik, Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson, Michael J. Sullivan, Lev Grossman, Terry Brooks, and, of course, Shawn Speakman. With the help of stalwart friends and these wonderful short stories, Shawn has taken the gravest of life's hardships and created something magical. Unfettered is not only a fantastic anthology in its own right, but it's a testament to the generosity found in the science fiction and fantasy community--proof that humanity can give beyond itself when the need arises. After all, isn't that the driving narrative in fantasy literature?… (more)

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
The Chapel Perilous by Kevin Hearne

48 points/100 (2.5 stars/5).

Atticus tells the tale of how he recovered the lost grail.

Technically this tale takes place chronologically after The Eye of Horus though this was written before it came out. This story takes place simply for Hearne to tell us his character is so cool because his main character did cool famous things in the past. If this was just the tale of Atticus recovering a magic instrument from some necromancer, it would still be a decent story, but because it is the grail it is supposed to be somehow better. It doesn't make it any better, it just makes it more annoying.

This is a rather unnecessary short story that overall adds nothing to the story. It is just a side tale of life prior to the series.
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
This was, as you may know, an anthology. As such, it is hard to rate the book as a whole. Instead, I'll highlight some stories I liked very well.

How Old Holly Came To Be by Patrick Rothfuss was a surprise. Rothfuss is my favourite author, but I did not expect such a radical change in his writing style, compared to the Kingkiller Chronicles. I liked it, but I was a bit surprised.

The Sound of broken Absolutes by Peter Orullian was done quite well as well. Music playing a major role is always a plus for me, and it had quite an interesting storyline.

The Chapel Perilous by Kevin Hearne I liked mostly for its humor. It actually convinced me to give the Iron Druid Chronicles a try, which I will probably do now, now that I finished this anthology.

All the Girls Love Michael Stein by David Anthony Durham was a slightly weird, but sweet short story. Also, the protagonist is a dead cat, which gives bonus points in any case.

The Duel by Lev Grossman was a funny short story. I can only imagine that it makes more sense if you know the story behind the protagonist, and I do not know if I would want to read anything longer than a short story with this humor, but for a short story, it was pretty funny.

There were some stories I did not like (The Coach with Big Teeth by R.A. Salvatore, for example), one I did not read to avoid spoilers for the Wheel of Time Series I am currently listening to (River of Souls by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson), one I did not read because I dislike horror stories (Dogs by Daniel Abraham), and at least two I aborted because I just could not get into them.

All in all, I do not regret spending the money to get this anthology, and since it goes to a good cause, I would not regret it in any case. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
A mixed bag, with a couple of good stories. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
Collection of stories, generally from preexisting universes. Authors include Terry Brooks, Patrick Rothfuss (more of a prose poem), Tad Williams, Carrie Vaughn, Jacqueline Carey (from her Kushiel series), Daniel Abraham (rape allegory that I guess is more powerful if you haven’t previously consciously thought about being vulnerable to members of a group you encounter on a daily basis), Kevin Hearne, Naomi Novik (awesome Temeraire story that could be read either as the space AU or, by stretching wildly, as some namesakes hundreds of years later), Lev Grossman (quirky combination of Narnia setting and hipster voice), and Terry Brooks. Probably worth checking out if you can’t get enough of one or more of the included authors. ( )
1 vote rivkat | Aug 19, 2014 |
This was one of the highest quality anthologies I've ever read. I bought it for some of the big name authors that I know well (Sanderson/Jordan, Rothfuss, Lev Grossman, Peter. V. Brett, etc.) but stayed for some of the other authors whose work I'd never read.

Most of these stories were based in the ongoing fantasy universes of these authors. What I discovered was that I could get a pretty good sense of whether I'd like to read more based on the selections in this collection. For example, I will be sure to pick up some Michael J. Sullivan in the near future.

Like any collection there were highs and lows, but the lows were higher than some other collections' highs. Recommended for any fans of modern fantasy interested in a tapas-bar reading experience. ( )
2 vote shabacus | Dec 16, 2013 |

Thompson, EldonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, TadContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pain shared, my brother, is pain not doubled but halved.
- Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys
What are years to me? Like pain, they pass unnoticed.
- Jay Lake, Kalimpura
For those with cancer and those who stand by them.
Who battle together and show no quarter.

Fantasy anthology including works from the following:

The Shade of Allanon by Terry Brooks (a Shannara tale);
Untitled by Naomi Novik (a Temeraire tale);
The Jester by Michael J. Sullivan (a Riyria Chronicles tale);
The Duel by Lev Grossman (a Magicians tale);
The Unfettered Knight by Shawn Speakman (an Annwn Cycle tale);
and artist Todd Lockwood, who donated artwork as well as a story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,748,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible