Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder (2012)

by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Series: Incerto (4)

"The acclaimed author of the influential bestseller The Black Swan, Nicholas Nassim Taleb takes a next big step with a deceptively simple concept: the "antifragile." Like the Greek hydra that grows two heads for each one it loses, people, systems, and institutions that are antifragile not only withstand shocks, they benefit from them. In a modern world dominated by chaos and uncertainty, Antifragile is a revolutionary vision from one of the most subversive and important thinkers of our time. Praise for Nicholas Nassim Taleb "[This] is the lesson of Taleb. and also the lesson of our volatile times. There is more courage and heroism in defying the human impulse, in taking the purposeful and painful steps to prepare for the unimaginable."--Malcolm Gladwell, author of The Tipping Point "[Taleb writes] in a style that owes as much to Stephen Colbert as it does to Michel de Montaigne."--The Wall Street Journal "The most prophetic voice of all. [Taleb is] a genuinely significant philosopher. someone who is able to change the way we view the structure of the world through the strength, originality and veracity of his ideas alone."--GQ "Changed my view of how the world works."--Daniel Kahneman, Nobel laureate"--"Examples of Antifragility: When you stress your body by lifting a big weight, your body gets stronger. New York has the best restaurants in the world because particular restaurants are always going bust, making the aggregate stronger and stronger, or antifragile. Evolution is antifragile. Certain business and investment strategies are antifragile. Older things tend to be more antifragile than newer ones - because they've been exposed to more Black Swans"--… (more)

English (65)  German (1)  All languages (66)
This book (and its author) is an enigma to me. I can't say whether I loved it or hated it, because it was really some of each. Sometimes the tone was incredibly condescending, and at other times subdued, open and conciliatory. Sometime the content was very opaque to me, and other times it was clear. It could be an uncomfortable read at times, but that may be the book's greatest contribution. There's a lot here for me to digest and reflect upon, and that may be what tips the balance in its favor. It probably requires multiple readings to really comprehend the message(s). ( )
  tgraettinger | Sep 17, 2021 |
Talib's book is not an easy read. His writing style is not pleasant. But ideas he presents are amazing.
There are lots of insights on the importance of randomness and the risks associated with this in our lives. I hope this will help me make better decisions in future.

There is a lot learn on 'How to live in this world which we don't understand' from this book. I need to re-read this some day. ( )
  nitins | Jul 28, 2021 |
Cutting my losses at page 90. Dear god. The posturing. The name dropping. The "I'm big and scary" bullshit. I used to look forward to Kindle time every day. Not so for the last four weeks. Screw this, life is short. ( )
  marzagao | Jun 1, 2021 |
This one had interesting points, but as someone who focuses around systems and order, it was hard for me to imagine structuring systems in this way. The examples were interesting -- things like the human body and vaccines as an example of a system that grows stronger after trauma. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
“This is the central illusion in life: that randomness is risky, that it is a bad thing — and that eliminating randomness is done by eliminating randomness.”
“Stability is similar to a loan one has to eventually pay back.”
“The option is an agent of antifragility”
“freedom is the ultimate option”
"optionality is a substitute for intelligence"
"Avoidance of boredom is the only worthy mode of action." ( )
  bowendwelle | Apr 19, 2021 |
Sometimes Nassim Nicholas Taleb is led astray by his contrarianism, but then that is his point: If you don't take risks, you don't get results. This is a bold, entertaining, clever book, richly crammed with insights, stories, fine phrases and intriguing asides. Does it achieve its goal, or does it cram and twist the world on to a Procrustean bed of one theory, thereby somewhat contradicting its own empirical and pragmatic outlook? I am not sure. I will have to read it again. And again.
added by Taphophile13 | editWall Street Journal, Matt Ridley (Nov 27, 2012)

Für Sarah Josephine Taleb
Wind löscht eine Kerzenflamme, offenes Feuer regt er an.
Antifragile has regional subtitles.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nassim Nicholas Taleb's book Antifragile was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1846141567, 1846141575

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,375,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible