Avengers vs. X-men by Brian Michael Bendis

Avengers vs. X-men

by Brian Michael Bendis, Jason Aaron, Kaare Andrews, Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction8 more, Kieron Gillen, Jonathan Hickman, Kathryn Immonen, Jeph Loeb, Steve McNiven, Rick Remender, Mark Waid, Christopher Yost

Other authors: JIm Cheung (Illustrator), Frank Cho (Illustrator), Olivier Coipel (Illustrator), Terry Dodson (Illustrator), Stuart Immonen (Illustrator)5 more, Adam Kubert (Illustrator), Salvador Larroca (Illustrator), Ed McGuinness (Illustrator), Brandon Peterson (Illustrator), John Romita Jr. (Illustrator)

Series: Avengers Vs X-men

2011987,316 (3.54)3

I quite enjoyed AvX - it was decently epic, and I didn't think they failed at Phoenix, as some have though. AvX: Versus, on the other hand, was absolutely horrible, save for a few small moments. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
At one point in this series, Spider Man asks, "Who isn't an Avenger?" That's about right in this case: the Marvel folks threw a bunch of characters in a blender and pressed SPIN. But the results are a pretty good daiquiri: the plot makes sense, it kept me turning the pages, and the artwork is always good and sometimes arresting. And I never did like that Scott Summers. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
What You Get: My sources tell me that this book is 568 pages. Comic book collections generally contain 4-10 issues, but this one has 22.5. BAM. There are thirteen for the main AvX storyline, along with six “VS” match issues (pitting various X-Men against various Avengers) and three “Infinite Comics” issues, which were created for digital. So that’s cool.

The Story: Let’s face facts, the whole reason behind this storyline is so that the writers/artists could depict what happens when, say, Magneto and Iron Man fight each other, and the fans can watch. I had a hard time believing that various characters would actually react in a certain way (or so strongly), especially in the first few issues. But the writers did the best they could in showing how stressed out everyone is from the years of Intense Story Arcs and past trauma from the Phoenix. I also appreciated how certain characters went bad; if they’re going to go bad, even for just one decision or for the entire series, I thought it was in-character how they went bad. That is, the characters’ pre-existing flaws were what was emphasized when they behaved in dastardly ways, here.

The rest of my review can be found at: http://bahnree.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/avengers-vs-x-men-phc-review/ ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
I expected this to be dumb fun, and it pretty much was — but about halfway through I found I was enjoying it more than I expected.

My issue with this: mainstream superhero comics are great at spectacle and terrible at emotional stakes. Lots of stuff happens, some of it is pretty cool, but no matter how hard the writers try, none of it really seems to matter to the characters. We're told why things are epic, but they never really feel that way.

That said, lots of nice pounding on each other. ( )
  scarequotes | Jan 23, 2016 |

Larroca, SalvadorIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGuinness, EdIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peterson, BrandonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Romita Jr., JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The Avengers and the X-Men - the two most popular super-hero teams in history - go to war! This landmark pop-culture event brings together Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Magneto and more in the story that changes them forever! And in AVX: Vs., experience the larger-than-life battles too big for any other comic to contain! Iron Man vs. Magneto! Spider-Man vs. Colossus! Captain America vs. Gambit! And more! Plus: For the first time ever in print, Marvel's groundbreaking Infinite Comics are collected, revealing key events through the eyes of Marvel's major players. It's Marvel's biggest event ever - but will the Avengers or the X-Men emerge triumphant? Collecting Avengers vs. X-Men 0-12, Point One (AVX story), AVX: VS 1-6, Avengers vs. X-Men: Infinite 1, 6, 10. Each collection includes a code for a free digital copy available exclusively through the Marvel Comics App!

"4 Stars (out of 4)" - CBR
"It's a rare thing for a much-hyped event book to get so much right" - Newsarama
"Epic." -Inside Pulse
"It's a superhero blockbuster" - Maxim.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:34 -0400)

"The world-destroying Phoenix Force is back -- and this time, the Avengers are intent on stopping it. Cyclops and his X-Men have other ideas. To Captain America, the Phoenix threatens doom. To Cyclops, it could mean slavation. Marvel's two greatest leaders wage war, with the Phoenix's chosen host -- Hope Summers -- caught in the middle. As the fate of a girl trained from birth to be a mutant savior hangs in the balance, how far are Captain America and Cyclops willing to go? The answer lies in a battle so big no one world -- no one series -- could contain it!" --Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,904,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible