Wood handbook : wood as an engineering…

Wood handbook : wood as an engineering material

by Forest Products Laboratory

I have "The Encyclopedia Of Wood" (Paperback) (isbn 0806988908) & have used it for decades. Great book. This is an update of that with all the same chapters plus a lot more. For instance, the wood microscopy section has been updated by [a:R. Bruce Hoadley|90598|R. Bruce Hoadley|https://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-d9f6a4a5badfda0f69e70cc94d962125.png]. I have 2 of his books on the subject, but finding a condensed version here is a huge help. There are updated sections, for instance the first one is now "Wood As A Sustainable Building Material" while the second (first in my old edition) is "Characteristics & Availability of Commercially Important Woods"

My paperback edition also comes with a CD that contains the entire book in a PDF file. All of this book is available for free as PDF files from the FPL site here:

I read quite a bit of this on the PC at different times, but it was nice to hold, too. It's much easier to flip back & forth in a paper book. It's not a book to read cover to cover, although I found a lot of interesting updates throughout. I especially appreciated being able to search the PDF version for specifics. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

Forests, distinct from all their other services and benefits, supply a basic raw material - wood - which from the earliest times has furnished mankind with necessities of existence and with comforts and conveniences beyond number.

One major use has always been in structures, particularly in housing. But despite wood's long service in structures, it has not always been used efficiently. In these days when the Nation is trying to utilize its resources more fully, better and more efficient use of the timber crop is vital.

As an aid to more efficient use of wood as a material of construction, this handbook was prepared by the Forest Products Laboratory. It was the first institution in the world to conduct general research on wood and its utilization. The vast accumulation of information that has resulted from its engineering and allied investigations of wood and wood products over seven decades - along with knowledge of everyday construction practices and problems - is the chief basis for this handbook.

Individual chapters describe not only the wood itself, but wood-based products, and the principles of how wood is dried, fastened, finished, and preserved from degradation in today's world. Each chapter is climaxed with a bibliography of allied information. A glossary of terms is presented at the end of this handbook.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:21 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,733,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible