Hands-On Engineering by Beth L. Andrews

Hands-On Engineering

by Beth L. Andrews

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A nice workbook with good science references included. I like the engineering emphasis on creating something to fulfill a purpose using scientific knowledge. This ought to be useful material for any teacher. ( )
  bespen | Jun 16, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Love hands-on learning for all subjects, especially with three kinesthetic learners. This has been an invaluable resource and I expect it will continue to be as I bring along the younger learners in my home. ( )
  pawood17 | May 27, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you are a teacher or parent with a child that has to know how things are made and how things work, likes to build and take apart, and is generally inquisitive, you will find this book especially useful. Great for kinesthetic learners and hands-on problem solving. Many of the projects can be done with simple items from around the house, and lessons contain complete teaching instructions and additional educational resources. ( )
  Adriane_Adams | Feb 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a homeschooling mom of inquisitive boys, this book is a treasure of a resource for great ideas that would get them designing, building, and experimenting with challenging projects.

What did I love about this book?
The emphasis was on the process and not just building a model or project.
Easily accessible materials list with common items we have around the house.
Clear directions with harder vocabulary defined.
A clear objective with measurable results...a little competition too!
Ideas for extended the project and supporting internet links make this a great book for mechanically gifted and visual-spatial learners.
Printable pages for recording the results were well designed and encouraged completion after all the activity.

I give this book a big thumbs up for families or classrooms with children in grades 4-7. ( )
  harmonyartmom | Oct 11, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This looks like a great book for adding some hands on activities to the classroom, or small group setting (scouts/homeschool groups/etc.). With 26 projects, if covers many engineering and science topics and encourages creativity in solving the challenges presented. The book is clearly laid out making it easy for the instructor. I can't wait to try it with my kids. ( )
  rsps | Oct 9, 2012 |

The author presents 26 projects--each with a teacher's guide, photocopiable worksheet, and additional project ideas--for which students use design and engineering methodologies to investigate and build their own solutions."With its varied and engaging activities, 'Hands-on engineering' prompts students to understand and apply the methodologies of design and engineering as they create innovative solutions to challenges. Each challenge requires students to think analytically, assess new situations, and solve a hands-on, real-world problem. As students design their own boats, skyscrapers, wheelbarrows, hammocks, and more, they will need perseverance, imagination, and teamwork. This book's emphasis on practical skills, problem solving, and collaboration makes it an ideal tool with which to teach valuable 21st-century skills."--Pg.[4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Beth L. Andrews's book Hands-On Engineering: Authentic Learning Experiences That Engage Students in STEM (2nd ed.) is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beth L. Andrews's book Hands-On Engineering : Real-World Projects for the Classroom was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,913,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible