Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer…

by Bryan Chapell

Christians often say, "In Jesus' name" to close their prayers. But is this truly a desire of the heart or a perfunctory "Yours Truly" to God? Bryan Chapell says we should begin our prayers in Jesus' name-we should be Praying Backwards. In this practical and inspiring book, he shows readers that to truly pray in Jesus' name is to reorder one's priorities in prayer-and in life-away from oneself and towards Jesus and his kingdom. It is to pray believing in the power and the goodness of the One who hears, and thus to pray boldly, expectantly, and persistently. Readers seeking to transform their prayer lives will find wonderful direction in Praying Backwards.… (more)
Member:BradKautz
Title:Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
Authors:Bryan Chapell
Info:Baker Books (2005), Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:prayer

Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name by Bryan Chapell

Praying Backwards is all about praying in Jesus' name--you know, that little phrase that we like to tack on to the end or our prayers as an afterthought--and what praying in Jesus' name really means. It's a devotional sort of book, but devotional in the best sense. This book's got substance, not only encouraging and instructing us to pray boldly and persistently, for instance, but giving us the biblical reasons that we ought to. ( )
  rbclibrary | Mar 1, 2008 |
The first question I asked when I saw this book was, “What does that title mean?€? Many of us close our prayers with the phrase, “In Jesus’ Nameâ€?, but how does one go about “praying backwardsâ€?? Chapell pleads for Christians to build our prayer life on the meaning of that phrase. He says:

“The message of this book is to put first in our hearts what those words are supposed to mean: ‘I offer this prayer for Jesus’ sake.’ When Jesus’ priorities come first, our prayers will change. They will be less self-oriented, more Christ-directed, more blessed, and ultimately most satisfying to our hearts.â€?

So, “praying backwardsâ€? is a shorthand way of saying our prayer should be built on the desire to accomplish God’s purpose in our life. And His purpose for us is that we would bring Him glory by being conformed to His image.

In ten quick chapters, Chapell moves through familiar terrain, highlighting key texts and principles relating to prayer. However, even when stating a principle we have heard before, such as “Pray Boldlyâ€? (Chapter 5), he explains it with fresh insight and a contagious passion for the subject. You come to the end of the chapter with the desire to close the book immediately and begin to put this “bold prayingâ€? into practice. Such writing comes only from the pen of one who has walked this path of prayer in his own life.

One of the strengths of Praying Backwards is how Chapell uses Scripture. As he handles a text relating to prayer, he does not pull the verses out of context to make them fit what he needs them to say. Instead, he employs sound hermeneutical principles. As a result, our confidence is built on the Scripture rather than on the inventiveness of the author.

By continually referencing the attributes and actions of God, Chapell writes theologically-loaded paragraphs. With God at the center of our thoughts, He becomes the center of our prayers. And the Trinitarian language is so meaty, showing how the Father, Son, and Spirit each relate to the prayer of the saints. In a culture that likens prayer to yoga or transcendental meditation, it is refreshing to find a God-centered book on the subject.

One of the great strengths of the book is how Chapell anticipates possible extreme application of some of his material. In wisdom, he gives his counsel in balance. For example, a grieving family should know that God’s purposes are fulfilled even in the midst of pain, but it is presumptuous for us to guess what those purposes are. Chapell writes with the wisdom gained from having spent time in the trenches of pastoral ministry.

Chapell is an excellent communicator, employing a multitude of personal anecdotes and illustrations drawn from his everyday life. Preachers would do well to read this book if just for the example Chapell gives in how to find illustrations directly from your own life experiences.

Because prayer is such a vital part of the Christian life, I heartily recommend this book to you. It soars far above the level of many other books on prayer crowding the shelves. If you read Praying Backwards, you are sure to find your prayer life strengthened. Priced at $12.99, this is certainly money well spent.
  wisdomofthepages | Feb 16, 2006 |

"Praying Backwards introduces believers to the transforming process of beginning our prayers in Jesus' name--not by moving a simple phrase, but by understanding and embracing the meaning behind the phrase. To truly pray in Jesus' name is to reorder our priorities in prayer--and in life--away from ourselves and toward Jesus and his kingdom." --Covenant Theological Seminary Bookstore

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,486,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible