Escaping to America: A True Story by Rosalyn…

Escaping to America: A True Story

by Rosalyn Schanzer

This story takes place during World War two in Poland. I liked this book for several reasons. One reason I liked this books was because of the language the author used. It was descriptive and full of literary devises to keep the reader interested. For example, the author uses the words "towering tangles of wildflowers danced beside the winding dirt roads" to describe the village the characters escaped from. The characters were another reason I enjoyed this book so much. For example, the character Abba was well developed and believable. For example, he began dancing and singing in front of the guards as they had guns pointed at him. A final reason I liked this book was for the colorful and vivid pictures that really captured the major events of the story. I believe the message of this story is that you must go through hardships to achieve a better life. ( )
  lkilpa1 | Feb 26, 2017 |
A great story to introduce the concept of immigration to second graders. They gain an understanding of WHY people immigrate and HOW they might immigrate.
  hcurrey | Sep 9, 2013 |
This book is a true story of the authors relatives who fled Poland after World War I due to some violence. The realtives were already established in the united States and would vouch for them. However, they still had to escape the war zone in Poland and survive thier trip to the US.
  aclemen1 | Apr 28, 2013 |
In the early twentieth century, a family of Polish Jews, headed by a determined father, leaves the Old Country. This book, vibrantly illustrated, expresses their thankfulness and pride in becoming Americans. ( )
  STBA | Dec 9, 2009 |
This true story is told by a granddaughter whose family immigrated to America from Poland. The Goodstein family faced persecution in Poland for being Jewish, and knew the only way to protect their children was to come to America. America had closed it's doors to Polish immigrants, but one family member inside the US made arrangements for the Goodsteins to have employment, housing, and money to come. They were permitted to immigrate after all! The story follows their travel across the ocean, depicting the conditions they traveled, the threat of measles, and the day they finally arrived!

I was surprised to find this book on our shelves! I am Polish, and my family immigrated in the 1900's too, so this story is personal to me. The illustrations in the book really fulfill the story, and add details that young readers may not know about.

This book will be a great story to share for world history and World War II. This book can be used to share what it was like on a ship traveling across the ocean, the living conditions, and the treatment of the people. This is also a good book to share with a student that may be moving, offering them a positive hope for the new beginning. ( )
  angkimbrell | Nov 11, 2008 |

In an ancient forest near their home, Ida and Sammy picked wild berries for breakfast and wild mushrooms for soup. But a terrible war was being waged throughout their land.

Ida and Sammy and baby Ruthie were in great danger.

In 1921, the children's mother and father decided they all must flee. Despite the risks of travel, they knew that their best hope for a new life lay far away in America.

This intensely personal yet universal story tells vividly of the losses suffered and hopes that triumphed. With great variety, the pictures reflect a full range of changing emotions. Accurate in every detail, they portray the times in a way that gives readers the unforgettable sense of being present during the struggle, and witnessing one family's enduring spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:54 -0400)

Tells how the author's family left difficult conditions in Poland to make a better life for themselves in America early in the twentieth century.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,052,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible