Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot by Bill…

Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Bill O'Reilly (Author), Meryl Legacies (Designer), Gene Thorpe (Illustrator)

Series: Killing (2)

1,2196510,454 (3.88)12
The brutal murder of John Fitzgerald Kennedy, and how a sequence of gunshots on a Dallas afternoon not only killed a beloved president but also sent the nation into the cataclysmic division of the Vietnam War and its culture-changing aftermath.
Member:earthwind
Title:Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot
Authors:Bill O'Reilly (Author)
Other authors:Meryl Legacies (Designer), Gene Thorpe (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2012), First Edition: 1st printing.g, hardbound, dust jacket, 325 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Truth, heroism, Camelot, Presidency, C.I.A., illustrated

Killing Kennedy : The End of Camelot by Bill O'Reilly (2012)

In January 1961, as the Cold War escalates, John F. Kennedy struggles to contain the growth of Communism while he learns the hardships, solitude, and temptations of what it means to be president of the United States. Along the way he acquires a number of formidable enemies, among them Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev, Cuban dictator Fidel Castro, and Allen Dulles, director of the Central Intelligence Agency. In addition, powerful elements of organized crime have begun to talk about targeting the president and his brother, Attorney General Robert Kennedy.
In the midst of a 1963 campaign trip to Texas, Kennedy is gunned down by an erratic young drifter named Lee Harvey Oswald. The former Marine Corps sharpshooter escapes the scene, only to be caught and shot dead while in police custody.
The events leading up to the most notorious crime of the twentieth century are almost as shocking as the assassination itself. Killing Kennedy chronicles both the heroism and deceit of Camelot, bringing history to life in ways that will profoundly move the reader. This may well be the most talked about book of the year.
  Gmomaj | Sep 3, 2019 |
Like his first book on Lincoln, O’Reilly puts forth the facts of the assassination of one of America’s favorite presidents. He seems to purposely avoid the numerous conspiracy theories that have come about over the last 50 years since the Kennedy assassination. Even though many of us know the time line of events, O’Reilly keeps things short and to the point thus keeping up a nice pace and easy reading. Definitely recommended for those who know all the facts and those interested in getting to know them. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
I found this book to be as interesting as the other "Killing" books I have read. I found that I didn't know as much as I thought I did about Kennedy's assassination, particularly about Lee Harvey Oswald. The book is readable and informative. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Apr 19, 2019 |
Really enjoyed Killing Kennedy. As someone who wasn't alive when he was president, I knew the basics of his life and what happened but this went a bit more in depth in a entertaining way. It wasn't the history textbook story that I've read numerous times over the years, but a more personal feel to the story. You got a bit of background of JFKs like without it going overboard to get a sense of his character more. It included some of the major issues in his presidency and also about his affairs. We all know JFK was a cheat but I think the book shows how much he cared for his wife. Also got a good glimpse at Oswald's life leading up to 11/22/63 and where his mind was going before it happened. The book is also very detailed about the actual shooting, speed of the car, directions, errors made, little things that all had to line up in order for the president to be killed. It's sad and mind blowing to know that a few hours before it was raining and they would of had the bubble on top of the car but it ended up being a sunny day, that small event could of changed history. I liked how it did touch base on some of the conspiracy theories out there and why they came up. I wish that part of would been in more detail, especially at the end where we find out people who were going to testify of be interviewed ended up getting killed/killed themselves shortly before. Very glad I read this book and was surprised that Bill O'Riley can come off as a sane human being. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
What a waste of my time. Aside from the fact this former history teacher does not understand the concept of footnotes, thinks he can merely make a list of "sources" for each chapter and evidently, though he was a high school freshman at the time of the assassination, knows what Lee Harvey Oswald was actually thinking before and after the assassination, there is very little in this book that has not been public knowledge for the last 40 -50 years....if you are under 40 you might want to read it to get a basic overview, then go on and read the many more well researched, accurate accounts. Oh the fact that it is written in the present tense is just too annoying and absurd!
  jslantz1948 | Sep 15, 2018 |

Bill O'Reillyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dugard, Martinsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my ancestors,
the Kennedys of Yonkers, New York.
Hardworking, generous, and honest folks.
It is February 1961.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,638,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible