Making Habits, Breaking Habits: Why We Do…

Making Habits, Breaking Habits: Why We Do Things, Why We Don't, and How to…

by Jeremy Dean

This is mainly evidence based at least, and some of the research studies are interesting, but it does get a bit repetitive and could have made the same points in fewer words. Also there were some parts that didn't make sense when the author was describing studies - I couldn't tell if the author had misinterpreted the results or whether it was just written so strangely that it accidentally implied the reverse to the actual findings. ( )
  somethingbrighter | Sep 11, 2018 |
Joy's review: the sub-title "Why We Do Things, Why We Don't, and How to Make Any Change Stick" basically describes what this book is about. Dean presents useful psychological studies related to how we acquire and how we can change habits. Good to read before and while attempting to change any habit. ( )
  konastories | Jun 19, 2017 |
This is a great book! I got a few ideas to try out in my own life (with some success). I'm parking this book for now and when needed I'll pick it up again later someday. For the time being I feel I've got what I wanted from this book.

Written in a down-to-earth style, it feels like no bullshitting. When the author tells you that X works he also tells you the pitfalls and accepts how hard it still is. It does gives you some hope. ( )
  MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |
If you ever wonder why you fail implementing a new habit - this is the book for you. If you are looking for a more realistic and substantial approach than a 21-days-change-any-habit-cure - this is the book for you.

We all have habits - good or bad.The book takes you through both the making and breaking of habits supported with examples from various scientific studies (all thoroughly referenced). It explains why it may be difficult to change or stop an old habit alternatively add a new habit, and it describes different tools/ways helpful making the change reality.

The book was written in an easy going manner i.e. you don't have to be a psychology student to benefit from it. This is a book that will definitely stay on my mind for a while. It has already made me start thinking of which habits I have and which I want to have - and how to go about it. ( )
  Piggelin | May 14, 2015 |
Part science book, part self-help, this volume examines habits. We only pay attention to habits when we call them "bad" and want to change them. We couldn't live without our habits. They make life easier and more regular. The myth that we can change a habit or get rid of one in 21 days is examined (It isn't true). The parts that "willpower" and mindfulness play in forming our habits is also studied. There is a lot of current brain and mind study results included. I like science and learning about the world. This book is very interesting. ( )
  susanbeamon | May 18, 2014 |
To Howard and Patricia
This book started with an apparently simple question that seemed to have a simple answer: How long does it take to form a new habit?

Say you want to start going to the gym or practicing a musical instrument. How long should it take before you stop having to force it and start doing it automatically? The surprising answers are found in Making Habits, Breaking Habits, a leading psychologist’s popular examination of one of the most powerful and under appreciated processes in the brain. Although people like to think that they are in control, the vast majority of human behavior occurs without any decision-making or conscious thought.

Drawing on hundreds of fascinating studies, psychologist Jeremy Dean busts the myths to finally explain why seemingly easy habits, like eating an apple a day, can be surprisingly difficult to form, and how to take charge of your brain’s natural "autopilot" to make any change stick.

Witty and intriguing, Making Habits, Breaking Habits shows how behavior occurs more than just a product of what you think. It is possible to bend your habits to your will - and be happier, more creative, and more productive.

The surprising answers are found in Making Habits, Breaking Habits, a psychologist’s popular examination of one of the most powerful and under-appreciated processes in the mind. Although people like to think that they are in control, much of human behavior occurs without any decision-making or conscious thought.

Drawing on hundreds of fascinating studies, psychologist Jeremy Dean busts the myths to finally explain why seemingly easy habits, like eating an apple a day, can be surprisingly difficult to form, and how to take charge of your brain’s natural “autopilot” to make any change stick.

Witty and intriguing, Making Habits, Breaking Habits shows how behavior is more than just a product of what you think. It is possible to bend your habits to your will—and be happier, more creative, and more productive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:22 -0400)

The psychologist behind PsyBlog explores the science of habit-- and how you can change yours for the better. Dean examines of one of the most powerful and under-appreciated processes in the mind: habits. He explains why seemingly easy habits, like eating an apple a day, can be surprisingly difficult to form, and how to take charge of your brain's natural "autopilot" to make any change stick. Any behavior is more than just a product of what you think. It is possible to bend your habits to your will-- and be happier, more creative, and more productive.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,587,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible