Empty by K. M. Walton

Title:Empty
Authors:K. M. Walton
Info:Simon Pulse (2013), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages

Empty by K. M. Walton

I read this in one sitting, it was a fast read. I thought it was well written and really shows how
someone a little bigger might feel. It shows how mean kids/people can be. It was an abrupt end and I felt bad for Dell- no one ever truly knows the home life of someone and people often judge on looking at what they see in front of them instead of getting the whole picture or background first. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
I read this book through PulseIt. Anyone who thinks YA books are unrealistically sugar-coated will have a rude awakening with K.M. Walton's Empty. Life is bleak for high schooler Dell (Adele). Her father ran off with a bimbo, leaving the family (including a new baby) struggling in a small apartment. Her mother takes refuge in prescription pills and Dell turns to food, gaining 70 pounds in a short time. The weight pervades her life, affecting her position on the softball team, where she was the star hitter. She puts on a game face, joining in self-deprecatingly when the other kids MOOOO, but is aching inside. Her longtime best friend is still somewhat there for her, but seems likely to run off with a more popular crowd. There are very mean girls, awful boys, oblivious teachers, no support system at all. Her singing talent could blow them all away at the school talent show, but... I won't spoil, but it's not a fairytale ending. ( )
  ennie | Jan 24, 2014 |
Dell is a young teenage girl that has been through hell. Her parents have divorced and everything around her has just went downhill. She has lost her place on the softball team, there are problems at home and now she has a eating disorder. At school, she was made fun of due to her weight, and her clothes. Her best friend has joined the others at school, not making fun of her but not sticking up for her either. The boy she has crushed on for forever betrays her in the Worst way and she question how she let it happen. Her father is only concerned with his new life and new soon to be wife, but he does have time to put her down like everyone else. Her spiral down picks up speed.

I went into this with an idea of what this was about, but it was so much more. I have been trying to write this review for a few days, I wasn’t really sure that I would. But I decided that I needed to.
This is a dark, gut wrenching look into the life of a bullied teen girl. It is filled with raw emotions and has a powerful message. Following Dell through the over eating to compensate for the pain and self loathing, and the questioning of why she was raped was heart breaking. The voice she was given by Walton was strong and compelling, making you feel everything she was feeling, the roller coaster that was her life. Reading this was hard, and it does provoke a lot of emotions.

Empty has some very serious subject matter, but it done in way that it needed to done. No holding back. This is a must read by all. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
Empty is the very painful and very dark journey of a teen who cannot surface from the things have are weighing her down in her life. Rarely have I read a book that is so incredibly bleak and I don't think that I have read a young adult book that matches Empty's darkness. K.M. Walton does not give Dell any breaks as we are given access to her humiliation, abuse and neglect of the people that are supposed to care for her. I wept as several points in this book because the level of pain was so great and Dell's gentle spirit was was broken. I did think that the characters surrounding Dell were a bit one dimensional. It seemed to rely on a lot of stereotypes (the neglectful father, the doped up mom, the mean popular girl, the a-hole jock) to highlight Dell's isolation which took something away from the story, for me.

Despite it's brutal honesty, which is something I usually love in a book, I had mixed feelings about this story. As you can see from the author's note that I posted above, K.M. Walton really wants the reader to understand and feel Dell's pain. Well, I think that it is safe to say that she has achieved her goal. This entire story horrified me. As much as we want to say "in real life, someone would help her", the truth is that kids like Dell slip through the cracks all the time. I would be fooling myself if I thought this was unrealistic. I think the thing that troubled me the most was the ending. As important as it is to show the impact of cruel behavior, I also think it's important to show survival or, at the very least, aftermath. I'm just not sure, as an adult, who I am supposed to give this book to. I would not feel comfortable giving it to anyone (adult or teen) who is currently in a dark place, because this book is dark, folks. Honestly, I think this is a better book for adults than kids. Not because the material is too mature, but because I think that those of us that did not grow up in the age of social media might not fully understand the potential for cruelty that things like Facebook bring to the high school experience. The thing that haunted me the most, though, was Dell's sister. Even though she is a fictional character, there is a part of me that really needs to know that she will be ok. I suppose, as with the rest of the story, the reader will never really know the answer. ( )
  ExLibris_Kate | Jan 8, 2013 |
(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)

Let me tell you one thing about this book: it is not about hope or enlightening. Not even a tad bit. It aims - at least I think it does - to grab the reader's heart and plug in a wire to connect with it, to unmask Dell's disappointments hidden behind self-deprecation and nonchalance. Unfortunately, it failed to make that connection with me.

But that's not to say Empty was a failure. The prose was good, oozing with darkness and depression, befitting of Dell's emotional and disturbing life. The reason why it didn't affect me as much as I wanted it to was because, thankfully, my life's been very far from that. My parents didn't get a divorce, I didn't realize my dad hadn't really loved me, my mom has never been too wrecked to be a mother, my best friend is not becoming a stranger, and I am not filling any internal void with food.

So instead of making me sad, Empty served as an eye-opener. It told me to be more appreciative and thankful for what I have, and sorry for even the little name-calling that I did back in high school. But even with Dell's hopelessness, her story fills one with anticipation for better things and strength to work towards those goals.

Anyway, that ending was totally unexpected. I kept eyeing the page number, willing for there to be more, chanting "someone or something stop her" in my head. My wish ended up being unfulfilled, but that way, the story became just so much more real.

MY FAVORITE PART was Dell's talent show performance. Let it all out, girl. ( )
  kazhout | Dec 27, 2012 |
To my husband, Todd: Thank you for believing in me from day one--which was 9,472 days ago. I love you, for always.
I like the idea of making things disappear.

Deeply depressed after her father cheated on and divorced her mother, seventeen-year-old Adele has gained over seventy pounds and is being bullied and abused at school--to the point of being raped and accused of being the aggressor.

K. M. Walton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,102,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible