One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You…

One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In… (original 1989; edition 2000)

by Peter Lynch (Author)

Series: Peter Lynch (1)

More than one million copies have been sold of this seminal book on investing in which legendary mutual-fund manager Peter Lynch explains the advantages that average investors have over professionals and how they can use these advantages to achieve financial success. America's most successful money manager tells how average investors can beat the pros by using what they know. According to Lynch, investment opportunities are everywhere. From the supermarket to the workplace, we encounter products and services all day long. By paying attention to the best ones, we can find companies in which to invest before the professional analysts discover them. When investors get in early, they can find the "tenbaggers," the stocks that appreciate tenfold from the initial investment. A few tenbaggers will turn an average stock portfolio into a star performer. Lynch offers easy-to-follow advice for sorting out the long shots from the no-shots by reviewing a company's financial statements and knowing which numbers really count. He offers guidelines for investing in cyclical, turnaround, and fast-growing companies. As long as you invest for the long term, Lynch says, your portfolio can reward you. This timeless advice has made One Up on Wall Street a #1 bestseller and a classic book of investment know-how.… (more)
Member:Lyssy
Title:One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market
Authors:Peter Lynch (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2000), Edition: 2nd, 304 pages

One Up On Wall Street : How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market by Peter Lynch (1989)

Recently added byjeaysm, glx66, private library, JulianPW, loudandnasty69, Lyssy, Mystline, JBryanN, tytyppw, Matthew_Hudson

Rothchild, John (Contributor)
  LOM-Lausanne | May 20, 2020 |
History of Financial Advice Collection. Peter Lynch managed the investments at the Fidelity Magellan Fund, a mutual fund that consistently and effectively outperformed the market throughout the 1970s and 1980s. Although he draws on his personal experience as a fund manager in One Up on Wall Street: How to Use What You Already Know to Make Money in the Market he emphasizes the qualities of the individual thinker over those of the professional strategist. At the core of the book is his assertion that everyday observations about the changing patterns in the economy and consumer interests, combined with the flexibility and speed of the individual investor, gives them an edge that large fund managers do not always have. “If you invest like an institution,” Lynch warns, then “you're doomed to perform like one, which in most cases isn't very well. Nor do you have to force yourself to think like an amateur if you already are one. If you’re a surfer, a trucker, a high-school drop-out, or an eccentric retiree then you’ve got an edge already.”
  LibraryofMistakes | Feb 17, 2018 |
To read #1: How Lynch picks up and coming stocks.
  SoliDeoGloria | Mar 31, 2013 |
Best book on investing. Have read 3 times & may read 100 more times. A must read for beginners in stock investing. ( )
  bysunil | Nov 19, 2012 |
For all of the financial capital under their control, it has always amazed me how anonymous most portfolio managers are. Money management companies (e.g., Fidelity, Putnam, Vanguard) are well-known, but the men and women who actually make the investment decisions typically are not, particularly to non-groupies who don’t stay glued to CNBC. Of course, Peter Lynch is an exception; his performance record while running Fidelity’s Magellan fund was so spectacular that the firm simply could not keep him hidden.

This is the first of two books—Beating the Street being the other—that crystallizes his “power of the little guy” investment philosophy. If Ben Graham is the quintessential value investor, Lynch embodies the GARP (Growth at a Reasonable Price) strategy. His straightforward approach is based on two imminently sensible ideas: (1) good, well-run companies with expanding franchises make the best investments over the long run, and (2) individual investors often have an advantage over institutional investors because, as everyday consumers of goods and services, they are in a better position to gather information on the quality of those firms.

Lynch develops these ideas in a practical and approachable manner, usually illustrating his points with examples from his own experience. Although some of these stories feel a little dated by now (e.g., Micron Technology, Service Corporation International), the wisdom inherent in his approach is timeless. He was truly a master at the art of building a stock portfolio from the bottom up and much of that accumulated wisdom is captured in this volume; in fact, the chapter on 'Some Famous Numbers' is worth price of the book alone. ( )
  browner56 | Dec 1, 2011 |
To Carolyn, my wife and best friend for over twenty years, whose support and sacrifices have been critically important to me.
To my children, Mary, Annie, and Beth, whose love for each other and their parents has meant so very much.
To my colleagues at Fidelity Investments, whose extra efforts have made Magellan's performance possible but who have received none of the favorable publicity.
To one million shareholders in Magellan, who have entrusted their savings to me and who have sent thousands of letters and made thousands of calls over the years, comforting me during declines in the market and reminding me that the future will be fine.
To Holy God for all the incredible blessings I have been given in my life.
There's no such thing as a hereditary knack for picking stocks.
If you can't convince yourself "When I'm down 25 percent, I'm a buyer" and banish forever the fatal thought "When I'm down 25 percent, I'm a seller," then you'll never make a decent profit in stocks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,605,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible