A Corner of White: Book 1 of The Colors of…

A Corner of White: Book 1 of The Colors of Madeleine (2012)

by Jaclyn Moriarty

Series: The Colours of Madeleine (1)

Reading this book, I felt it was better suited for 5th and 6th graders than young adults. I loved the Ashbury/Brookfield series but none of the beautiful storytelling I had experienced in those books came through in this novel. ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
A character-driven contemporary fantasy that kept me guessing all the way through. It reminded me a little of The Magician by Lev Grossman, as this author also played around with fantasy conventions and subverted my expectations of where the story would go. Much of the magic revolves around a very original take on colour. I was enamoured with the Kingdom of Cello and look forward to reading more. ( )
  Elizabeth_Foster | Nov 3, 2017 |
Fun and unique fantasy. I did like the Cello characters better than the ones in the World, though. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Apr 5, 2017 |
I swore I wouldn’t request any more books from Netgalley for a while, and I had a lot in queue in front of this book – but I couldn’t help it. Having finished something wonderful (a Dorothy L. Sayers), I sifted through all the books that have been sitting neglected on the Kindle, and opened something new from Netgalley instead.

I don’t know how much sense this will make, but for some reason A Corner of White felt like a book written in the present tense. It’s not; there’s nothing so gimmicky about the writing: alternating third person points of view, switching back and forth between Madeleine here in the World (in Cambridge, England) and Elliott in Cello, a different world altogether. Maybe it was the immediacy of the writing that felt like present-tense, or the first lines, chatty as they are: “Madeleine Tully turned fourteen yesterday, but today she did not turn anything.

“Oh, wait. She turned a page.”

It’s a swiftly flowing story, about Madeleine finding a note tucked into an out-of-order parking meter (and a good thing too that the London traffic department is in this universe so lax about fixing out-of-order meters), and replying, and of her reply being found on the other side of a crack between worlds by Elliott Baranski, in the back of a broken tv which has been incorporated into a sculpture. It makes sense, trust me. It’s all about perception – Madeleine’s perception of Elliott, and vice versa, and also how both of them see their own worlds and their own lives. Both their fathers are missing from their lives, and the reasons for that which everyone around them keeps assuring them are true may not be correct.

One of the only things keeping me from a five-star rating for A Corner of White is a huge gaffe that I can only hope was/will be caught in a final edit before publication. The small stuff – botched punctuation and formatting and such – is, as has often been said, par for the course, and this was after all an “uncorrected proof”, so lamentable as it is it doesn’t count toward the rating. But the mention – a couple of times – of the “original” colors consisting of red, blue, and green … That was not good. Primary and secondary and complementary colors are something I learned about in my first months of art school. That is, I’m sure I knew the basics before that, but it was well and truly drilled into our heads early on, being, I think it’s obvious, rather important. Since green is made of blue and yellow …

A useful trick to remembering complementary colors was to think of them as holidays – red and green, Christmas; blue and orange, Halloween (blue standing in for black to make it work), and (vitally, for Elliott) yellow and purple, Easter. Just putting that out there.

Apart from that, it was wonderfully enjoyable. And they’ll fix that, right? Right? ( )
  Stewartry | Mar 21, 2017 |
This was a wonderfully gentle fantasy story about two teens in parallel worlds passing letters to each other, one in a damaged parking meter and the other in a playground sculpture featuring a broken TV set. One world, known as The World, is as we know it. Madeleine has a group of friends who are homeschooled by a variety of different people. Her mother is a little wacky and becomes more wacky as the days progress. The other world, known as Cello, has a problem with color attacks. Some colors are more dangerous than others. Elliot is highly respected in his world but his father is missing and Elliot learns he is not the only missing person in Cello. Many of the letters that are passed are written to try and make the other person understand what color means to them. Each teen has a major personal problem and they are able to help each other.

I found that the story started a little slow but gradually became more and more interesting as more facts about Cello became known and I was very interested in understanding the color situation there. Teens and adults will love this story. ( )
  mamzel | Mar 6, 2017 |

Jaclyn Moriartyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eiden, AndrewNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardingham, FionaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGowan, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reinders, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From Memoir of Isaac Newton by John Conduitt, 1727

[Isaac Newton] received the famous problem which was intended to puzzle all the Mathematicians in Europe at 4 o'clock in the afternoon when he was very much tired with the business of the Mint where he had been employed all day, & yet he solved it before he went to bed that night.
To Charlie, with love
FROM THE KINGDOM OF CELLO: AN ILLUSTRATED TRAVEL GUIDE, BY T.I. CANDLE

INTRODUCTION

The Kingdom of Cello (pronounced ‘Chello’) needs no intro­duction.
Madeleine Tully turned fourteen yesterday but today she did not turn anything.

Fourteen-year-old Madeleine of Cambridge, England, struggling to cope with poverty and her mother's illness, and fifteen-year-old Elliot of the Kingdom of Cello in a parallel world where colors are villainous and his father is missing, begin exchanging notes through a crack between their worlds and find they can be of great help to each other.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,976,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible