Weirdo by Cathi Unsworth
    The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood (Soupdragon)
    Soupdragon: Both are convincingly told crime stories with dual narratives, featuring seaside towns in South-East England and schoolgirls accused of murder in the 1980s.

English (8)  German (1)  All languages (9)
Twisty story, and the twist in the tale is a good un.

Corinne Woodrow was convicted of murder of a schoolmate when she was 15, in 1984. She was an outsider in the community and now, 20 years later, there's evidence that she might not have been alone. Sean Ward, whose career as a detective was cut short by a young man with a gun and now the metal in his leg reminds him of this constantly, investigates and what he stirs up, with the help of a local journalist, will change things in this small town.

Messy local politics, kept me reading and wanting more. The people in it came quite alive for me you could see how things happened and the parallel stories made more sense of what was going on, I was genuinely surprised by the ending. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 31, 2015 |
I wish there was a category that just said, "I read it" or "I finished it but I'm not sure why." ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
This is the third book I have read by Cathi Unsworth and Weirdo is even more page-turner-y than The Singer and Bad Penny Blues. I raced through the second half of the book as the story became more tense and exciting.

In common with both The Singer and Bad Penny Blues, Cathi Unsworth excels at creating a strong sense of place. In the case of Weirdo, this is the Norfolk seaside resort Great Yarmouth (here called Ernemouth). There are two interlinked narrative threads running concurrently, one set in 1983, and the other in 2003.

In common with a lot of Victorian and Edwardian English seaside resorts, Great Yarmouth is a tawdry, deprived and slightly unsettling place. This atmosphere is perfectly evoked, along with a bit of local history. The less you know about the actual story, the better, suffice it to say that the tale revolves around a horrific murder and a reinvestigation following new DNA evidence.

Some of the narrative takes place at the local school, and the music and fashions of the early 80s are perfectly evoked, along with the dynamics at the school and the different families.

Ostensibly this is a crime novel, however - and in common with the best genre fiction - there is a lot more going on here than just a thrilling story. It's also an exploration of an era, of local politics, of corruption, Norfolk, alienation, magic, evil, youth culture, fashion, and I still haven't covered it all. 4/5 ( )
  nigeyb | Dec 3, 2013 |
For Matthew, Yvette, Thomas, William and Sophie Rose
They had hidden her far from the rest of the world, deep within a forest.

STICKS AND STONES MAY BREAK YOUR BONES

WICKED WITCH OF THE EAST, the tabloids called her.
Bloody Weirdo, is what the locals said.

Corinne Woodrow was fifteen when she was convicted of murdering one of her classmates on a summer's evening in 1984, a year when the teenagers of Ernemouth ran wild, dressing in black and staying out all night, listening to music that terrified their parents.

Twenty years later, new forensic evidence suggests that Corinne didn't act alone. Private investigator Sean Ward — whose promising career as a detective with the Met was cut short by a teenage gangster with a gun — reopens the case, and discovers a town full of dark secrets, and a community that has always looked after its own.

Twenty years ago, a fifteen-year-old schoolgirl named Corrine Woodrow was convicted of murdering one of her classmates. But now new forensic evidence indicates that Corrine didn't act alone, and Sean Ward - a private investigator whose promising career in the Met was cut short by a teenage drug dealer with an automatic weapon - travels to the seaside town of Ernemouth, to try to discover what really happened all those years ago. But he quickly realises that what's ultimately at stake is not Corrine's reputation, but those of the people who ran the place then - and still run it now. In order to get to the truth, he has to take on not just retired Detective Inspector Le Rivett - the man who headed up the original case and wants to keep it firmly closed - but also the mindset of an entire town that has always known how to look after its own.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,557,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible