Shadow of Freedom by David Weber

Shadow of Freedom

by David Weber

The book in itself is not a bad book but then David Weber generally does not write really “bad” books. At least I cannot remember having read one. However, I quite frankly feel cheated by this book. I have waited eagerly for quite a while to get my hands on a new Honor Harrington book and when I finally do…there is no Honor Harrington in it!!!

Yes the story takes place within the main story arc of the Honor Harrington novels but it does not really advance the story in any major way. A good chunk of the book is taken by a minor skirmish that, from the main perspective, can be said to be a side story and nothing more.

Also, as is, unfortunately, now a common trait of the works of David Weber that a lot of the book is spent on talk, talk, talk between different parties. This is a shame since he is really better than most in writing actual space battles. Actually, the before mentioned minor skirmish is probably the most fun part of the entire book to read.

As I mentioned above the book is not really bad. Quite to the contrary it is a quite good book although I would have preferred a bit less talking, especially since most of the talking is about politics and such despicable activities, and more of the actual action parts. It is however totally mismatched against my expectations. In particular, the fact that it is presented as an Honor Harrington novel and then Honor Harrington herself is not really in it is just…not right. I could perhaps have accepted that if the book actually advanced the story in any significant way but that it does not.

I am indeed somewhat disappointed with this book. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Yet another excellent story from within the Honorverse. Admiral Mike Henke continues to make her mark within the Talbott Cluster against the Solarian League Navy. Captain Zavala’s visit to Saltash was space opera at its best. ( )
  John_T_Stewart | Jan 14, 2018 |
In a word: disappointing. In another word: lame. Frankly, this book sucked. I have given every Honor Harrington book except one five stars, but this barely deserves two. And I feel betrayed. First of all, as I was finishing Honor #13 not too long ago, I was reading reviews of it and a number of them mentioned Shadow of Freedom as being Honor #14, so I immediately ordered it. Lots of people referred to it as Honor #14. People reviewing THIS book -- Shadow of Freedom -- even refer to it as Honor #14. But it's not. At all. All Honor books come with the words "an Honor Harrington novel," or something to that effect, on the cover. This book says it's part of the "Honorverse." And when I listed it in Goodreads, it comes up as Saganami #3, an Honor sub-series that I haven't read, one of at least two such sub-series'. So, imagine my shock when Honor herself doesn't even appear in this book at all! She's quoted a couple of times, I guess to make it an Honor-related book, but she's nowhere to be found. Indeed, only one main character from the Honor series is in this book -- Michelle Henke, who has her fleet in the Talbot Quadrant on the edges of the Solarian League. And this book is about her adventures, and the adventures of "independent" world rebels trying to throw off the yoke of Solarian sponsored oppression. The thing that makes it tricky is they're contacted and given weapons by an agent who claims to represent Manticore, so they naturally assume the Manticorian Navy will come to their aid, all of them. However, he's a Mesan Alliance agent and is trying to screw Manticore. There are a couple of mildly interesting scenes in the book, but it's a short book and not too much happens, aside from the usual ungodly amounts of dialogue Weber throws into his books cause he's apparently paid by the word count. He likes to double his books' lengths by going dialogue-heavy. All that said, as others have pointed out, the truly damning thing about this book is that at least two chapters are literal total cut and paste chapters from previous Honor books, and that's unforgivable. Weber doesn't even have the decency to try and mix them up just a little; he holds his readers in that much disdain. What an asshole. Honestly, Weber can write awesome stories and great battle scenes, but I've decided that he must be a royal asshole as a person and I truly don't like him at all, even as I eagerly await all of his new Honor and Safehold novels. And I hate myself for it. This book is most definitely NOT recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Nov 3, 2015 |
How do they keep the storylines straight? This focuses on Michelle Henke and she is getting ready to take the attack to the Solarians. Will the Mesan support of planetary freedom fighting groups come back to bite them? ( )
  bgknighton | Nov 4, 2014 |
Another book in the Honor Harrington series but not really dealing with Honor at all. This follows Michelle Henke, her friend and cousin to the Empress of the Star Kingdom. The book was ok but it didn't feel like a complete story more like an episode in a long running series. None of the action happens in the Star Kingdom at all and some of the story was more infodumping. I'll still read these but I long for the days of the early books. Not a book for a new reader to the series.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnson, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The wingless, saucerlike drone drifted through the wet, misty night on silent counter gravity.

Wrong number? There are two sides to any quarrel . . . unless there are more. Michelle Henke, Queen Elizabeth of Manticore's first cousin, Honor Harrington's best friend, and the commanding officer of Manticore's Tenth Fleet, is just a bit surprised when a messenger arrives from the Mobius System to inform her that the Mobius Liberation Front is prepared to rise in rebellion against the hated regime President Svein Lombroso. She can understand why anyone would want to rebel against someone like Lombroso, but why tell her about it? After all, she has problems of her own, like the minor matter of a life-or-death war against the Solarian League. Michelle has just handed the "invincible" Solarian League Navy the most humiliating, one-sided defeat in its entire almost thousand-year history in defense of the people of the Star Empire's Talbott Quadrant. But the League is the most powerful star nation in the history of humanity. Its navy is going to be back - and this time with thousands of superdreadnoughts. Yet she also knows scores of other star systems - some independent, some controlled by puppet regimes, and some simply conquered outright by the Solarian Office of Frontier Security - lie in the League's grip along its frontier with the Talbott Quadrant. As combat spreads from the initial confrontation, the entire frontier has begun to seethe with unrest, and Michelle sympathizes with the oppressed populations wanting only to be free of their hated masters. And that puts her in something of a quandary when the messenger from Mobius arrives, because someone's obviously gotten a wrong number. According to him, the Mobians' uprising has been carefully planned to coordinate with a powerful outside ally: the Star Empire of Manticore. Only Manticore - and Mike Henke - have never even heard of the Mobius Liberation Front. It's a set-up . . . and Michelle knows who's behind it. The shadowy Mesan Alignment has launched a bold move to destroy Manticore's reputation as the champion of freedom. And when the RMN doesn't arrive, when the MLF is brutally and bloodily crushed, no independent star system will ever trust Manticore again. Mike Henke knows she has no orders from her government to assist any rebellions or liberation movements, that she has only so many ships, which can be in only so many places at a time . . . and that she can't possibly justify diverting any of her limited, outnumbered strength to missions of liberation the Star Empire never signed on for. She knows that . . . and she doesn't care. No one is going to send thousands of patriots to their deaths, trusting in Manticoran help that will never come. Not on Mike Henke's watch.

Michelle Henke, Queen Elizabeth of Manticore's first cousin, Honor Harrington's best friend, and the commanding officer of Manticore's Tenth Fleet, is just a bit surprised when a messenger arrives from the Mobius System to inform her that the Mobius Liberation Front is prepared to rise in rebellion against the hated regime President Svein Lombroso. She has no orders from her government to assist any rebellions or liberation movements, she's short on ships ... but she doesn't care. No one is going to send thousands of patriots to their deaths on her watch.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,762,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible