Day Soldiers (Day Soldiers, #1) by Brandon…

Day Soldiers (Day Soldiers, #1) (edition 2012)

by Brandon Hale

Series: Day Soldiers (1)

Lily was eight years old when the darkness declared war on humanity. By the time she was eighteen, the Legion occupied over half of the United States. Her hometown of Iveyton, Virginia was far south of the battle lines, but that fact offered Lily no comfort. She knew what she had to do. She had spent the past ten years preparing for the day she could enlist in the Day Soldiers and join in the fight against the darkness. Lily was ready to do her part. She was ready to join the fight to protect humanity. She was ready to go to war. The one thing she wasn't prepared for was the day the war came to her...… (more)
Member:Sonja-Fay-Little
Title:Day Soldiers (Day Soldiers, #1)
Authors:Brandon Hale
Info:Publisher Unknown (2012), Kindle Edition, 272 pages
Tags:to-read

Day Soldiers by Brandon Hale

This book has been in my Kindle library since 2014 and was continuously passed over until now. I don't usually read fantasy but for some reason, I thought I'd give it a try. I was hooked by the end of the first chapter and on board until the end.

Since the big war ten years ago, when Vampires and Werewolves made themselves known to the world, cities were taken, boundaries established, and defenses put in place. Humans have been on the defense as hordes of monsters continue to attack the populace and capturing prisoners - both as slaves and for feeding the masses.

The monsters are ruled by a group of 18 werewolves and a single vampire. They blame humans for the earth's demise and depict themselves as the saviors of humanity. The human populace is protected by "Day soldiers" who are trained fighters against the monsters. However, their ranks are few in comparison to the monster hordes.

The story begins when 18-yr-old Lily Baker and her friend survive an attack on their town that eventually kills her family and almost a thousand others. The head werewolf, Dennis, and the conquering horde allow the two of them to live if they survive the night against their former townsfolk who have all been turned into vampires. Unbeknownst to Dennis, Lily has a special power which helps the two of them win the contest. They are later rescued by Day Soldiers and taken into their ranks.

Readers follow Lily through her training as a "sneaker" and Leo through his sniper training. After graduation, Leo is sent on his first mission and is captured by the monsters. From that point on in the story, the Day soldiers go on the offensive. Lily and her team appear unstoppable and continue to win despite overwhelming odds. What is her strange power and how can it be used to better humans? She learns that she is not alone with this special gift there are more gifted Day soldiers and it's time to put them to work.

The final chapters leave readers with mouths agape as the tide begins to turn. Day soldiers are no longer able to hide and must do whatever is possible to take their world back. I've already downloaded the next book in the series and look forward to seeing what happens next. ( )
  JPodlaski | Feb 28, 2020 |
I would like to thank We ❤ YA Books and Brandon Hale for the opportunity to read and review this fabulous book!

From Goodreads:

For ten years now, humanity has been at war with the creatures of darkness. The war has changed the world. The day now belongs to humanity and the night belongs to things once thought to exist only in myths and legends... but there is hope.
This new enemy has united humanity and an army has stepped forward to protect the light from the darkness. An army of heroes.
The Day Soldiers.
Eighteen year old Lily Baxter always knew the Day Soldiers would be a major part of her life. She had been preparing for it since she was eight. She was ready to go to war.
The one thing she wasn't prepared for was the day the war came to her.

So, do you want to read a book with a kick ass heroine? Do you want to read a book full of action? Do you want to read a book that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next? Then this is the book for you.

I wasn't actually sure I would like this book. I read the description and I was torn as to whether or not I wanted to take a chance with it. I am SO glad I did

This book is an interesting mix between a paranormal and a dystopian. I have never read something like this before.
Lily is a 18 year old girl who lives with her family, in fear of the monsters that plague her world: vampires and werewolves. But she is determined to eradicate these monsters and make the world safe. When her town is destroyed by these monsters, she vows to help in any way she can. She does this by becoming a day soldier. And let me tell you something about Lily, she is a no holds barred, don't take nothing from anyone kind of girl. She fights like there is no tomorrow and is willing to go down to save her friends from certain destruction. She has a smart mouth and a quick whit. There is no teenage angst with this girl. And her best friend Leo, is just the same. You see that he cares greatly for Lily and is willing to risk his life so that she will be safe.

And her teammates are just as determined, and cocky, if you will. Ellie is the girl who can sneak around and get into places no one else could fit. Grung is the excellent marksman, with great fighting skills. And Scott is the information specialist who certainly seems to have much more information than any day soldier should have. Together, they work to fight evil. They know what they can do, they know how good they are at doing it, and they will stop at nothing to reach their goal. If this means destruction, then so be it. If this means risking their lives, then so be it. And the banter between the team drips of sarcasm. I was surprised to be smiling, giggling, even laughing during while reading! My favorite thing about the team is that they do things they believe to be right, even if it goes against orders.

Abbie is the team instructor. She is the ultimate "sneaker". And to top it all off, she's a nun! What an original character! And Wallace is the commanding officer, who just happens to have a very special secret about him! He likes Lily from day one and knows there is something special about her. He knows she is Day Soldier material.

Hale paints a picture of a world taken over by monsters. A world where we are at war with the very things we dream of that scare us to death. It's a world that has been desolated and destroyed in areas where civilization once blossomed. It's world where humanity is being destroyed. And the monsters help paint the picture of how humans have destroyed what they were so generously given without a second thought. It's original for sure!

The monsters are not just blood sucking, killing machines, they are ruthless and clever. They believe they should be the ones who run the world. We watch werewolves and vampires, usually mortal enemies, work side by side to destroy anything that gets in the way of them taking over the world.
My only issue with this book, the reason I did not give it 5 stars, is because the characters never loose. With the exception of losing one person, none of the characters is injured beyond repair or dies. I can't imagine this to be true, no matter how good the team is at their job. But this really didn't distract me from the story. As a matter of fact, it made me want to read on because I knew in the long wrong, the characters were going to win.

This story has twists and turns. I was grabbed from the very beginning during the prologue which was the declaration of war from the vampires and werewolves. The story has a great pace: not too slow and just fast enough to keep you interested and wanting to know the next move this team will make. And Hale shows us the character's flaws and how this affects their judgement and the consequences of their actions.

I highly recommend this story to anyone who wants something packed with action. 4 out of 5 stars from me!

This review is posted at the following sites:
http://thecovercontessa.blogspot.com/ ( )
  bhwrn1 | Jul 17, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,254,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible