The Black Company (The Chronicles of the…

The Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1) (original 1984; edition 1992)

by Glen Cook

Some feel the Lady, newly risen from centuries in thrall, stands between humankind and evil. Some feel she is evil itself. The hard-bitten men of the Black Company take their pay and do what they must, burying their doubts with their dead. Until the prophesy: The White Rose has been reborn, somewhere, to embody good once more. There must be a way for the Black Company to find her... So begins one of the greatest fantasy epics of our age--Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company.… (more)
Member:brunosooty
Title:The Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1)
Authors:Glen Cook
Info:Tor Fantasy, Mass Market Paperback, 319 pages
Collections:Disk 2, Your library
Tags:to-read, audiobook1

The Black Company by Glen Cook (1984)

The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon (romula)
    The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: fantasy battles told from the point of view of soldiers
    Gaunt's Ghosts: The Founding by Dan Abnett (NickBlasta)
    NickBlasta: While existing in a different genre, the story of a company of fighting men is quite similar.
    Angles of Attack by Marko Kloos (Dragget)
    Dragget: Military fiction from the viewpoint of the individual soldier.
    The Deepest Sea by Charles Barnitz (Dragget)
    Dragget: Good dialogue and realistic combat. The humor is similar also.
    Le Trône de fer, tome 07: L'épée de feu by George R. R. Martin (yagarek)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: The Black Company was a strong influence on the development of Malazan.

English (56)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (59)
Interesting style and initially fast-paced with an aura of superheroism to it. After 3/4 of the way I found it dragging and tedious however. Upon second-reading I enjoyed it more. The only downside I noticed was that the writing style can be confusing in it's structure. I'll read the next book in the series and maybe this won't be the case. ( )
  briandarvell | Aug 7, 2020 |
This is a great dark fantasy tale of a mercenary company recruited by the world's biggest villain. They are not heros -- lots of moral ambiguity here with an excellent ending. ( )
  3j0hn | Jun 17, 2020 |
I actually ended up really getting into this story. It was a little predictable in some aspects (Darling), but that didn’t lessen my enjoyment of it. I will definitely look into the other books in this series. I also thought the narrator for the audiobook did a really good job. 3.5 stars. ( )
  expatb | Jun 8, 2020 |
A pretty good military fantasy, which is not something I usually read. I did feel lost a lot in the first half as names are mentioned without any explanation of who the narrator is talking about, but all was (I think) revealed by the end. I am not sure if I will continue with the Chronicles. I hope we see Darling again some time, as she was the one bright spot in this sometimes overwhelmingly grim tale. ( )
  chaosfox | May 1, 2020 |
Well-written, has its own style and pretty interesting characters...but something's missing. It might be because I thought I was only 1/3 of the way through the book when it ended (it turned out I was reading a version that contained the first three books), which makes me wonder how I'd feel about all the other books I read if they didn't partially spoil the ending on every page by saying "you're 45% of the way through the book...you're 89% of the way through the book," etc. Or how fat I would get if ice-creams only ended when I stopped eating them. ( )
  mvayngrib | Mar 22, 2020 |

Cook, Glenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berdak, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hiltunen, PetriCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vietor, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for the people of the St. Louis Science Fiction Society. Love you all.
There were prodigies and portents enough, One-Eye says. We must blame ourselves for misinterpreting them. One-Eye’s handicap in no way impairs his marvelous hindsight.
No one will sing songs in our memory. We are the last of the Free Companies of Khatovar. Our traditions and memories live only in these Annals. We are our only mourners.
"Evil is relative, Annalist. You can't hang a sign on it. You can't touch it or taste it or cut it with a sword. Evil depends on where you are standing, pointing your indicting finger."
I am not religious. I cannot conceive of gods who would give a damn about humanity’s frothy carryings-on. I mean, logically, beings of that order just wouldn’t. But maybe there is a force for greater good, created by our unconscious minds conjoined, that becomes an independent power greater than the sum of its parts. Maybe, being a mind-thing, it is not time-bound. Maybe it can see everywhere and everywhen and move pawns so that what seems to be today’s victory becomes the cornerstone of tomorrow’s defeat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,828,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible