A Blink of the Screen: Collected Shorter…

A Blink of the Screen: Collected Shorter Fiction (2012)

by Terry Pratchett

7013019,453 (3.81)1 / 24

English (29)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
Some mediocre-okayish stuff, but a few really, really great ones. In the end, Granny overshadowed everything as per usual, but the barbarian hero who went to meet his maker stands out, too. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Pretty poor. A couple of short stories raised a smile. And I didn't bother with most of the writings at all. It wasn't even me that took it out of the library. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
This collection of short fiction spans essentially Terry Pratchett's entire career, and includes several stories from the Discworld series.

Short stories never really came naturally to Pratchett, something he admits in the introductions to a couple of these pieces, and, truthfully, many of them are very slight and not terribly memorable, especially when compared with his novels. A few of them are really just random bits and bobs that barely qualify as stories. But even those are at least mildly entertaining, and some of the more substantial stories are really good. Among others, there's a sort of Christmas horror story that's just delightfully bizarre, and a couple of the Discworld ones are flat-out terrific, enough to make the collection well worthwhile all by themselves. (Only Pratchett could write a story that's funny and melancholy at the same time and make it deeply successful at both, but the Cohen the Barbarian tale manages it. And nothing on any world, round or flat, will ever be remotely as terrifying as Granny Weatherwax deciding to go around being nice at people.)

Some of these, also, are interesting glimpses into different facets of Pratchett as a writer. There are a couple of surprisingly straightforward science fiction stories. There are also a couple of stories that were later expanded into novels. (One story is in both of those categories: "The High Meggas," which eventually became The Long Earth, written with Stephen Baxter.) There's even a couple of poems, including an utterly charming one about picking up hitchhikers on the way to Glastonbury in the 70s.

The collection also contains an interesting curiosity: the first story Pratchett every wrote and had professionally published, at the age of thirteen. Thirteen! And while it's clearly unpolished, it's amazing to me how very Pratchett it already feels. It's certainly enough to make me wonder what the heck I was doing at thirteen.

Rating: 4/5, although that's mostly on the strength of a handful of the best pieces. ( )
  bragan | Apr 24, 2018 |
I didn't dislike a single one of the 33 pieces in this book. The worst I can say is that some of them just weren't subject matters that I cared that much about -- like football rosters and British politics. I wouldn't mind skipping a couple of those on reread. But, of the rest, I enjoyed the diversity of topics, the humor, the tie-ins to classic literature, and yes, Granny Weatherwax. My favorite was "FTB", where a computer gets a visit from a down-at-the-mouth Father Christmas. It was the sweetest story and, if I can remember, I'll revisit it in December!

http://webereading.com/2018/03/marchmagics-dwjmarch-week-3-roundup.html ( )
1 vote klpm | Mar 28, 2018 |
I never thought I'd give a Terry Pratchett book a below-average rating, but short fiction is clearly not the man's forte. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Sep 1, 2017 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Byatt, A. S.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks to my old friend and agent Colin Smythe who spent a lot of time sieving through a lot of dusty old newspapers to find my tracks. Amazingly, he really likes doing this kind of thing...
Argh, argh, argh … if I put my fingers in my ears and go ‘lalalala’ loudly I won’t hear you read this story.

In the four decades since his first book appeared in print, Terry Pratchett has become one of the world's best-selling and best-loved authors. This is a collection of his short stories and other short form fiction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,804,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible