The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson…

by Sean Carroll

Other authors: Zach Weinersmith (Illustrator)

Caltech physicist and author Sean Carroll offers listeners this profile of the Large Hadron Collider and the search for the mysterious Higgs boson particle, the subatomic building block that imbues elementary particles with mass. Carroll chronicles how such a complex project got off the ground in the first place and explains why this discovery is so important, and what it means for the future of physics.… (more)

revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
I usually have a hard time reading books about particle physics. Even though I have a PhD in engineering, I still find myself struggling with the difference between bosons, leptons, and the other ones. Fortunately, this book is approachable enough that you don't really need to grasp the specific details to get an appreciation for what's happening. In addition, the author repeats the concepts enough times (not in an annoying way), that I found myself remembering what a boson was for more than three femtoseconds.

This book was the best explanation of what the Higgs boson is that I've read. It also gave me a better appreciation for what particle physicists do, how they can be confident about their results, and where the science goes from here (and why I should care).

Definitely recommended to those with an interest in physics. Keep in mind that this book is almost ten years old, however. The Nobel was awarded in 2013 to Higgs and Englert. Gravitational waves (but not the graviton) were detected in 2015. So things have progressed since the book was published. ( )
  lemontwist | Jan 29, 2021 |
One of my all time favorites physics books. A beautiful compilation of discovery and explanation. From the Big Bang to the Standard Model interpreted with the new addition of the Higgs Field, this will become a classic in science. ( )
  halesso | Nov 29, 2017 |
This is for the non-science audience. Starts to talk about how symetries lead to the forces on page 150 however, and appendix one is okay as far as ' so what's Higgs now ? ' ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
This is a very well-written introduction to particle physics. I may have even understood some of it. It centers on the search of the Higgs boson (or at least a Higgs boson), which is a story of discovery in itself, but it also covers the entire particle zoo of the Standard Model. It's quite thought provoking, even for us non-physicists. It also provides a good description of how science works and some of the things that motivate scientists. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a bit of insight on this intriguing subject. (I did notice one obvious error in the chart on page 294, which I assume was a printer's error.) ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |

Sean Carrollprimary authorall editionscalculated
Weinersmith, ZachIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People underestimate the impact of a new reality.

—Joe Incandela, spokesperson for the CMS collaboration at the Large Hadron Collider
To Mom,

who took me to the library
JoAnne Hewett is feeling giddy, smiling broadly as she speaks enthusiastically into a video camera. (Prologue)
Particle physics is a curious activity

"Science" l'ha definita la più importante scoperta scientifica del 2012, ma quella del bosone di Higgs è prima di tutto una bellissima storia, iniziata quando, nel 1964, il fisico teorico scozzese Peter Higgs ne ipotizzò l'esistenza, creando un enigma che è stato sciolto solo dopo quasi mezzo secolo. Un'avventura scientifica e umana che ha visto impegnati migliaia di scienziati e attrezzature all'avanguardia. Un'impresa ricca di umanità, come solo le narrazioni collettive possono essere. Il segno, infine, di una svolta epocale della ricerca, perché il bosone di Higgs promette davvero di essere "la particella alla fine dell'universo" (noto), il ponte verso nuove frontiere della scienza.
(piopas)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,038,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible