The City of Mirrors: A Novel (Book Three of…

The City of Mirrors: A Novel (Book Three of The Passage Trilogy) (original 2016; edition 2017)

by Justin Cronin (Author)

Member:katylit
Title:The City of Mirrors: A Novel (Book Three of The Passage Trilogy)
Authors:Justin Cronin (Author)
Info:Anchor Canada (2017), 624 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin (2016)

English (59)  Dutch (1)  All languages (60)
I still don't understand what compelled me to finish this book. So, bullet points.

*The world building in City of Mirrors is absolutely fantastic. In the hands of another author, it would have been wonderful.

*Gigantic plot holes. YUGE.

-This is a big one - How did no one notice all the virals digging in at Kerrville before the Trojan Horse attack? No one noticed a horde walking through buildings and digging in.

-Guns don't last for 100 years and then just fall apart. That's not how it works.

-Logan brings along the reporter person with whom he has a budding romance. On a world shattering discovery. No one else that he's worked with for years or who has knowledge of the arcane stuff they're digging for. He brings his new girlfriend along because of a flimsy excuse - "We want to control the press coverage." Yeah, okay dude. I don't believe it.

*Most of the characters were annoying.

-Lor, Michael, Carter and Amy were the only characters that managed to make it through without annoying the hell out of me. I nearly stopped reading because of Zero's whine factor. He wasn't a super-villain, he was just a whiny little bitch.

*Please spare me the lectures. The entire book is peppered with the author's views on various subjects. Including childbearing and rearing. And the environment. And old age. And social class. And university power structures.

*The child worship, while understandable in a depopulated world was way, way over the top.

*Zero is clearly the authorial spokesman for this book. The author needs to go back to romance writing. I did not need that much backstory. I did not want that much backstory.

I was so glad that the book ended. What a slog. I confess I skimmed parts of it because I was so annoyed by the characters. ( )
1 vote authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
I spent four years looking forward to this book, then.....bleh. The characters and their story lines came back to me as I read, but unfortunately not my interest in them, and I bailed somewhere around page 150. The pacing felt sooo slooow, and the section on Zero's college days ground everything to a complete standstill. Also....the decision to allow Zero to re-assume human form stretched credibility too far for me (a hard thing to do in a vampire novel!) and seemed to exist only as a device to keep the plot going. However, I did get far enough along to enjoy one tasty morsel of a metaphor, describing a very large nurse in scrubs, flopped on a couch watching TV as a 'deflated parade balloon'. I hear the book picks up about 300 pages in, but life's too short!
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
It has been almost one hundred years since the viral outbreak which transformed humans into vampire-like creatures and a generation since the original Twelve virals, all infected by Patient Zero, and all sired by the Twelve, were destroyed. The inhabitants of the walled city in the Republic of Texas, possibly the last enclave of humanity alive in the world, are beginning to leave their former safe haven and move out into the world hoping to start a new world and again repopulate the world. However, it seems that the last remnant of humanity has forgotten Fanning, Patient Zero, who resides in Grand Central Station, with his minions. Still furious about his lost humanity and the destruction of the Twelve, he blames Amy, the hybrid human/viral Girl from Nowhere, for his misfortunes. He is now creating a new army to seek revenge unless Amy can stop him.

This novel, the culmination of three-book series, provided a satisfying end. You could read this novel as a standalone, I would recommend that the reader doesn't. Shortly after beginning this novel, you will be curious how the residents became the sole survivors in this post-apocalyptic novel. The reader might as well begin with the inaugural novel, The Passage. Shortly after beginning this novel, I was glad to stumble upon a list of primary characters in the back of the book. I was helpful in keeping the myriad of characters straight. ( )
  John_Warner | Feb 24, 2019 |
This is the third book in Justin Cronin's Passage trilogy. I read the first two a while back, and, I'm sorry to say, I was not impressed with them. I only finished the series, finally, out of some stubborn sense of completism, which is really not a very good reason to read a 600 page book. But I figured, hey, maybe he'd saved the best for last and would pull off a really engaging conclusion.

No such luck. I knew I was in trouble when, after about 80 pages in which not a whole lot happens, we then drop even that much of the story to spend fully a hundred pages on a detailed history of the bad guy's college days and unconvincing tragic love story. Which is clearly meant to make him seem more well-rounded and human, and even somewhat sympathetic, but as far as I'm concerned, it succeeds on that first thing only in as far as it makes him at least slightly less of a non-entity, and fails spectacularly on the second.

Honestly, I think the problem with these books is that Cronin is trying very hard to write something that is simultaneously character-based literary fiction and an apocalyptic action/horror story, and in trying to do both at once, he ends up doing neither well. Which isn't to say it can't be done. It certainly can, but it's hard, and Cronin does not pull it off. What makes this even more frustrating is that, while this was never going to be good litfic, it had the potential to be a decent apocalyptic action/horror story, if it weren't so thoroughly bogged down with things like 100-page flashbacks to make sure we know important details like what kind of sandwich the villain's mother packed for him on his first day of college.

As it is, well, this is just going to have to remain one of those works whose popularity is truly inexplicable to me. ( )
  bragan | Feb 15, 2019 |
This stunning conclusion to Cronin’s trilogy features all of the elements that made the first two novels so compelling—interwoven timelines, a sophisticated sense of story, and characters so rich and well developed that, by now, they feel like old friends.

Cronin has created more than just a post-apocalyptic tale in The Passage trilogy. He has imagined an entire future epoch, and he has crafted a tapestry of narratives that foreground the connections among the past, the present, and the future. The epigrams that appear at the beginning of each section point to these connections—for example, Faulkner’s observation the “the past is never dead. It’s not even the past.”

Fans of the first two novels will not be disappointed. ( )
  jimrgill | Jan 27, 2019 |
And how am I to face the odds
Of man's bedevilment and God's?

I, a stranger and afraid
In a world I never made.
- A.E. Housman, Last Poems
For my family
1 Thus did it come to pass that Amy and her fellows returned to Kerrville, in the place of Texas. (Prologue, headers omitted)
The ground yielded easily under her blade, unlocking a black smell of earth.
Good morning and welcome, everyone. (Epilogue)

"The third and final installment in the Passage trilogy. With The Twelve destroyed, many wonder if the threat to humankind also has vanished. But then a terrifying threat shudders the gates of the colony...and Amy--the girl who must save the world, Peter, Alicia, and Michael must at last confront their destinies"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,732,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible