Sula by Toni Morrison

Sula (original 1973; edition 2004)

by Toni Morrison

Member:MathomHouse
Title:Sula
Authors:Toni Morrison
Info:Vintage (2004), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****

Sula by Toni Morrison (1973)

One of those plots that consists of one thing happening after another (in this case usually much after another; short as it is, it takes place over a good fifty year period) and it's up to the reader to put the meaning of it all together. So it stays with you, but it's a challenge.

I can see why Sula is the title character, but I think it's not just her story - nor just the story of the friendship between her and Nel - but rather it's about the three of them: Shadrack too, and the accident that threw them briefly together.

And the place, of course; of course it's about the place. ( )
  zeborah | Apr 8, 2015 |
After having read The Bluest Eye my expectations were really high. I was deflated. Sula isn't a bad read; it's just ok. The story moved along disjointed, which made it hard to follow at times. I finished the book trying to understand its meaning; which is good, I suppose, for discussion. It's not on my list of highly recommended books but I do recommend it. ( )
  Feleciak | Mar 7, 2015 |
Having read other early Morrison novels, I found nothing surprising in Sula. There's the same gorgeous language and calming tone one will find in The Bluest Eye or Beloved, all layered over some of the most horrific scenes in print. More recent Morrison novels are told in the same beguiling whisper, but lack the urgency, and as a result, much of the story, that her earlier works show so abundantly.

Compared to the other early works of Morrison I have read, Sula was similar, but its characters and scenes did not stick with me the same way her others had. Perhaps I'd grown accustomed to the richness of her stories and had too high of expectations. I wonder if it isn't that, for such a short novel, my attention was too divided. Despite being named after one of its characters, Sula is the least focused on a sole character of the Morrison I have read. It really is the story of Sula and Nel, with equal time spent on Eva's story. All this division of focus in 174 pages left me unattached to the story; nevertheless, I enjoyed Morrison's evocative storytelling and the interactions between the characters. I look forward to the next. ( )
  chrisblocker | Jan 27, 2015 |
This is another excellent novel by Toni Morrison. It is set in Ohio and centers around two girls, Nel Wright and Sula Peace, who grow up best friends, go their separate ways as teenagers, and are reunited when Sula returns to town. Nel has stayed in the Bottom, married and had children. Sula went off to college. When she returns, she wreaks havoc on the community, including Nel.

This novel is really a novel of the friendship of two girls and how/if that friendship can survive womanhood. Like all of Morrison's novels, the language is beautiful and the themes and metaphors are deep and meaningful. This sounds like a cliche, but Morrison's writing is the definition of "powerful" writing to me. This early novel is a little less complex and multi-layered than some of her other works, but it was still excellent. ( )
  japaul22 | Jan 15, 2015 |
Toni Morrison's "Sula" is a wonderful book, propelled along by the writer's amazing gift for language. Her prose really evokes the feeling of the Bottom community from the early 1900's to the 1960's and its populace.

The story centers on the friendship between two girls -- Sula and Nel and how it changes over the years. The story's core is sadness, showing how an African-American community, free from slavery but not from racist attitudes, struggled. There is a definitely a lot of story packed into this short novel. ( )
  amerynth | Jan 6, 2015 |

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dorsman-Vos, W.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, NettieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, OwenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Nobody knew my rose of the world but me.... I had too much glory. They don't want glory like that in nobody's heart."

- The Rose Tattoo
It is sheer good fortune to miss someone long before they leave you. This book is for Ford and Slade, whom I miss although they have not left me.
In that place, where they tore the nightshade and blackberry patches from the roots to make room for the Medallion City Golf Course, there was once a neighborhood.
the only way to avoid the Hand of God is to get in it

Book Description Publication Date: 1982 | Series: Plume Amazon.com Review: In Sula, Toni Morrison, winner of the 1993 Nobel Prize for literature, tells the story of two women--friends since childhood, separated in young adulthood, and reunited as grown women. Nel Wright grows up to become a wife and mother, happy to remain in her hometown of Medallion, Ohio. Sula Peace leaves Medallion to experience college, men, and life in the big city, an exceptional choice for a black woman to make in the late 1920s. As girls, Nel and Sula are the best of friends, only children who find in each other a kindred spirit to share in each girl's loneliness and imagination. When they meet again as adults, it's clear that Nel has chosen a life of acceptance and accommodation, while Sula must fight to defend her seemingly unconventional choices and beliefs. But regardless of the physical and emotional distance that threatens this extraordinary friendship, the bond between the women remains unbreakable: "Her old friend had come home.... Sula, whose past she had lived through and with whom the present was a constant sharing of perceptions. Talking to Sula had always been a conversation with herself." Lyrical and gripping, Sula is an honest look at the power of friendship amid a backdrop of family, love, race, and the human condition. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:35 -0400)

Traces the lives of two African American women from their youth in small-town Georgia, through divergent paths of womanhood, to their ultimate confrontation and reconciliation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,184,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible