dismiss

Prophecy by Ellen Oh
"A demon slayer, the only female warrior in the King's army, must battle demon soldiers, an evil shaman, and the Demon Lord to find the lost ruby of the Dragon King's prophecy and save her kingdom"--

It took me a little while to get into this book because I don't typically read from the fantasy genre, but I ended up loving it as I became familiar with the characters and their world. Dare I compare Kira to Katniss? Yes, I dare. Kira of Hansong is a demon slayer, the prince's bodyguard, the only female of the king's army--and an outcast. An outcast, but a badass. Like Katniss of The Hunger Games, Kira is a strong female lead: she's physically strong and can wield weapons with skill; she has a strong commitment to her family, especially to protect her young cousin (the prince); she has a love interest but definitely doesn't need him to come to her rescue. I'm rooting for this girl. Also, I'm a fan of the setting in a fantasy version of ancient Korea and of Ellen Oh's use of Korean mythology and folklore; Greek, Roman, and Norse mythology are so familiar from stories I read as a child, so Prophecy's introduction to mythological creatures and stories were refreshingly new to me. And lots of action makes for a quick read. I'm on board for reading the rest of the trilogy. So on board. ( )
  alyssajp | Jul 29, 2019 |
RGG: Underdeveloped characters and fantasy world make this a poor complement to Cashore's Graceling, with which it only shares the warrior girl heroine. With just a hint of romance, the first book in the series though will work for the 7th grade. And, of course the Asian references, including martial arts fighting, is unique. Reading Level: 12-YA.
  rgruberexcel | Aug 6, 2018 |
Got this book the moment it came out, loved it, can't wait for more from the great Ellen Oh! ( )
  SuziSteffen | Feb 20, 2018 |
Surprised at the negative reviews. Maybe it's just me needing something much lighter after reading a book about rape culture, but YA novel also did genuinely exceed my expectations. It's nice to read a book that was not set in a Western-influenced setting and rather in a fantastical Korea. There is a legend of a Dragon Musado that will save the people, blah blah. A plot that is perhaps old as time, but with a refreshing spin.

Kira is an outsider. With her yellow eyes she is feared and hated. She guards her cousin, the prince and heir to the throne. At the opening she finds out she is going to be betrothed (ew!) but of course things happen, chaos ensues, and we're off on an adventure that deals with death, murder, betrayal, political maneuverings, new friends, battle and fights, and more.

I liked it as I said but I do understand the misgivings people have written on. Sometimes the writing really isn't that great and we never really get a much deeper understanding of some (all?) of the characters. It does feel geared towards young teens/maybe tween readers (there's not much romance, there are descriptions of battles and wounds but it's not graphic). The book started off really well but I'd say about half way through it starts wobbling a bit.

I can't compare this to some of the other titles ('Graceling') that have been mentioned, so maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps I've just become too cynical about YA, (especially after my huge dissapointment of being unable to get through Pierce Brown's 'Red Rising' trilogy after REALLY looking forward to it), but I thought this was a refreshing take. It may not be the next Harry Potter or Hunger Games, but this initial book seems to have some promise and I'm curious enough to see where the other two books go.

Borrowed this from the library and seems about right. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
Oh man, I really wanted to like this. I'm here for any fantasies that aren't inspired by European lore, and one thing I have to say is that the worldbuilding is really interesting and different. It's based on Korean historical lore, and it was cool to see. The reader isn't bombarded by too many unknown concepts at once, which I appreciate.

I think my biggest problem with this was the writing. There's so much telling and not much showing, and I felt so disconnected from Kira to the point where I didn't really care about her or any of the characters. It also affected the plot, because everything just felt so slow. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
"Mom, are you dedicating this book to us?" "Of course." "Cool! We're gonna be famous!" To Summer, Skye, and Gracie, my three amazing superstars who always cheered me on. And to my husband, Sonny, who never let me give up.
People feared Kira.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,665,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible