Koran (Rodwell, 1861) by al-Qur'an

Koran (Rodwell, 1861)

by Qur'an, J. M. Rodwell

"If your wife won't submit to you sexually then beat her until she does submit." And with that Muhammed tosses his cap into the "pro-rape" ring. Way to go, asshole! This book looks like a poorly remembered re-write of the Bible by an illiterate epileptic pedophilic warlord from the 7th century who thought worshipping god would be better without all the pesky morality and complicated, nuanced, multi-faceted, and rich text to deal with. Instead we get mostly promises of "gardens through which waters flow" and a "grievous chastisement" for unbelievers. The world is a nightmare enough as it is but if Islam is true then it is even worse than we could've imagined. I wonder if Islam is the only religion that claims to be peaceful and then kills those who say otherwise. Probably not, but it definitely is the biggest. Perhaps also interesting about this book is that it was written by one man and yet contains roughly 5-7 mutually precluding mankind origin myths. And Muslims claim this shit is scientific. Anyways, this score doesn't so much mean the book is terribly written as the evils it has wrought on this world. ( )
  Salmondaze | Sep 16, 2016 |
As a member of one of the three Abrahamic faiths, it seemed appropriate to me (especially in this day and age) to learn as much as possible about all three...so I read the Koran.
  RebaRelishesReading | Sep 29, 2012 |

The Koran is a tough read. It is of course meant to be read in the original Arabic - and meant to be read out loud, recited, memorised, so that every detail of the text sinks into the memory; it helps also if you are familiar with the career of the Prophet and thus able to relate particular passages to particular issues face by him and his followers during the two decades of his ministry. But even then, I think it is a tough read.

The 114 Suras are arranged roughly in decreasing order of length, which means that there is no internal progression of ideas, and certainly no chronological sequencing (the most we get is that some are tagged as written in Medina and others in Mecca). Sura 2, the longest, covers thirty pages and addresses many subjects including the creation of Adam, the observance of Ramadan, and the witnessing of debts. There is little variation of style: this is a series of revelations to a single individual, and is therefore in a single prophetic voice throughout (unlike, say, the Bible which was written by dozens of authors over a period of several centuries, and includes straight history, poetry and allegorical fable).

I notice that gardens are often mentioned, particularly as a metaphor for paradise, and I find that rather moving - I have not been to the desert myself but I can imagine how our primeval attraction to garden landscapes must be intensified by living in conditions of extreme aridity. I was interested to come across familiar (and less familiar) narratives from the Bible and from Christian tradition, proclaimed from a rather different direction; a useful reminder that these stories all began as living, breathing texts. Since I'm not likely to put in the years of study necessary to fuly grasp the text, I find it difficult to really make an assessment of the Koran as a whole. But I am glad that I have at least read it from cover to cover. ( )
2 vote nwhyte | May 1, 2010 |

Qur'anprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodwell, J. M.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Margoliouth, Rev. GIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOREWORD [to the Rodwell translation by Alan Jones]
The Koran, or, to give its strict transliteration, the Qur’ān, is the sacred book of Islam.
INTRODUCTION [to the Rodwell translation]
THE ARABIAN PENINSULA AT THE TIME OF MUḤAMMAD's BIRTH
Muḥamad is believed to have been born around 570 AD.
SURA 1
Mecca - 7 Verses
In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful
Praise be to God, Lord of the worlds!

Part of the "Everyman" series which has been re-set with wide margins for notes and easy-to-read type. Each title includes a themed introduction by leading authorities on the subject, life-and-times chronology of the author, text summaries, annotated reading lists and selected criticism and notes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:34 -0400)

As the sacred book of Islam, the Koran, or Qur'an in transliteration, is believed by devout Muslims to be the direct word of God, inscribed in Heaven and revealed by the archangel Gabriel to the prophet Muhammad before his death in A.D. 632. Written in Arabic, in rhymed prose, the text is not only regarded by believers as a guide to daily life but is also considered to be the finest work of Arabic prose in existence and one of the most important and influential books known to mankind. J. M. Rodwell's accessible translation restores the traditional ordering of the suras, or chapters, with early text dealing with God as creator, his greatness and authority, the role of Muhammad as God's messenger and of Islam in history. Later chapters deal with legal, social, and ethical issues. The text is divided into 114 chapters, each of which, like the Bible, is subdivided into verses. This edition of the Koran, in a convenient size that is ideal for prayer or study, will be invaluable to students of religion, history, and politics and of interest to anyone concerned with cultures of the Middle East… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,803,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible