In the Night Kitchen (1970)

by Maurice Sendak

Other authors: Diana Blair (Lettering)

Series: Where the Wild Things Are trilogy (2)

A little boy's dream-fantasy in which he helps three fat bakers get milk for their cake batter.

English (106)  Spanish (2)  All languages (108)
Silly book. ( )
  DKnight0918 | Sep 12, 2020 |
Mickey falls out of his clothes and bed into the night kitchen. The city is made of food containers. Mickey gets some milk from the Milky Way so the 3bakers can make a cake.
Themes -- cakes, cooking, dreams, imagination
I love this book and the food skyline. The pictures are great. It's fun to read this with the kids and then make your own food container city. ( )
  kjwatkins78 | May 15, 2020 |
IN THE NIGHT KITCHEN by Maurice Sendak reminded me of the same whimsical, imaginative nature that Sendak had in WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE. This is, as I imagine, because the protagonist is dreaming of helping 3 bakers make a cake. There was also a relation to food and the role of family in the protagonist's life as seen in the story mentioned prior, so it is possible that following a child's dream was Sendak’s focal point. The illustrations were memorable but also an indication of how the crude imagery of a toddlers phallic member was not interpreted as wildly inappropriate for its time - or nowhere near as much as now. However, that was not my takeaway from the overall story. It was memorable and brought me back to being a child. ( )
  hmolay | Mar 17, 2020 |
Nice Illustrations and panels. Mickey gets mistaken for milk and mixed up in the batter for the morning cake, so he has to find the milk and fix the bakers' mistake. ( )
  JenniferSprinkle | Aug 6, 2019 |

Maurice Sendakprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blair, DianaLetteringsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Imber-Liljeberg, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,686,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible