"Suley, Georgia, is home to Lost Lake Cottages and not much else. Which is why it's the perfect place for newly-widowed Kate and her eccentric eight-year-old daughter Devin to heal. Kate spent one memorable childhood summer at Lost Lake, had her first almost-kiss at Lost Lake, and met a boy named Wes at Lost Lake. It was a place for dreaming. But Kate doesn't believe in dreams anymore, and her Aunt Eby, Lost Lake's owner, wants to sell the place and move on. Lost Lake's magic is gone. As Kate discovers that time has a way of standing still at Lost Lake can she bring the cottages--and her heart--back to life? Because sometimes the things you love have a funny way of turning up again. And sometimes you never even know they were lost . . . until they are found"--… (more)

English (172)  Piratical (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (174)
One of my favorite authors. ( )
  IngNorris | Oct 16, 2021 |
A little silly, but mostly charming. Quick, light, feels-like-a-movie kind of book. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
Received from NetGalley.

Sarah Addison Allen writes books that make me want to dive in the pages and not come out ever. I'm pretty sure she can't write a bad book. I devoured this book and was sad when it was over because I wasn't ready for it to end. It had everything. A little romance, a little magic, a little mystery, a lot of eccentric and loveable characters and a lot of people figuring out who they are/want to be. So so much love for this book. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
Do I ever love magical realism! Sarah Addison Allen is such a purveyor of magic. I’ll read anything she writes because her character creation and storytelling is so damn good.

I cared about the characters 10 minutes into the book. That’s magic.

There’s several twists here that I didn’t see coming. Wow.

Selma is one of the most interesting and complex characters. She is unexpected.

I get mild Big Fish (the movie) vibes from this... mostly in the magical realism aspect.

Lost Lake is about the past, the present, the future... what it means to deeply love someone, what it means to deeply love a place, the sacrifices and decisions we willingly make for love, chosen family vs. biological family, the walls people put up, the power of female friendships.

It would make a great book to discuss with friends or your book club. Or just read it yourself, let it stay with you like letting chocolate melt in your mouth and appreciate the magic of it all. ( )
  coffeefairy | Nov 21, 2020 |
Writing: 4.5; Theme: 4.5; Content: 5.0; Language: 5.0; Overall: 4.5; This story evolves around a young girl (Emily), her brother (Matthew), and her friend (James). Emily and her family move often and her mom has actually penned a book about the family's goal to live in all fifty states. When they move to California, she begins a new friendship with James who has an indelible desire to solve all kinds of puzzles and codes. Emily is involved with Book Scavenger, a group of passionate readers who search for books and score points. Mr. Griswold is the creator of this group and when he is injured during an assault on his life the adventures begin. Creative writing and story line by the author. This book is for younger readers (elementary and middle schoolers), but was an interesting read. Highly recommend. ***September 3, 2020*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Sep 6, 2020 |
For the lost ones.
The wet night air bounced against the electric streetlamps, giving off tiny sparks like flint
ISBN 1250079802 is for Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Addison Allen's book Lost Lake was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,323,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible