Lost Lake

by Sarah Addison Allen

Series: Lost Lake (1)

"Suley, Georgia, is home to Lost Lake Cottages and not much else. Which is why it's the perfect place for newly-widowed Kate and her eccentric eight-year-old daughter Devin to heal. Kate spent one memorable childhood summer at Lost Lake, had her first almost-kiss at Lost Lake, and met a boy named Wes at Lost Lake. It was a place for dreaming. But Kate doesn't believe in dreams anymore, and her Aunt Eby, Lost Lake's owner, wants to sell the place and move on. Lost Lake's magic is gone. As Kate discovers that time has a way of standing still at Lost Lake can she bring the cottages--and her heart--back to life? Because sometimes the things you love have a funny way of turning up again. And sometimes you never even know they were lost . . . until they are found"--… (more)

English (168)  Piratical (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (170)
Writing: 4.5; Theme: 4.5; Content: 5.0; Language: 5.0; Overall: 4.5; This story evolves around a young girl (Emily), her brother (Matthew), and her friend (James). Emily and her family move often and her mom has actually penned a book about the family's goal to live in all fifty states. When they move to California, she begins a new friendship with James who has an indelible desire to solve all kinds of puzzles and codes. Emily is involved with Book Scavenger, a group of passionate readers who search for books and score points. Mr. Griswold is the creator of this group and when he is injured during an assault on his life the adventures begin. Creative writing and story line by the author. This book is for younger readers (elementary and middle schoolers), but was an interesting read. Highly recommend. ***September 3, 2020*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Sep 6, 2020 |
Highly engaging and warm novel, but it took a tad long for the magic to start. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jul 29, 2020 |
This book was really good! Inspired by one of my favourite activities, bookcrossing, I've wanted to read this for a while now.
Emily & her family have just moved to San Francisco, home of Garrison Griswold, creator of the the game Book Scavenger. But Emily learns that Garrison was attacked, interrupting the start of his new game. On a chance discovery Emily & her new friend James find the book which leads them on a wild ride through the streets of San Francisco to finish the game. But they aren't the only ones playing...
I loved this book. Even though it's geared toward kids it's a totally fun read with lots of twists & puzzles (literally). The only thing I didn't like about it was the ending, not giving away any spoilers but I thought part of it was a little inappropriate for a children's book but I'll definitely be putting this one in my private library! :O)
  leah152 | Jul 4, 2020 |
I read and previously loved Sarah Addison Allen's Garden Spells, The Sugar Queen, and The Girl Who Chased the Moon: A Novel. I read The Peach Keeper: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle) and found it to be lacking in the same magical realism that I loved about her older novels. There was a lot going on in that novel and not all of it gelled together naturally. Unfortunately when I finished with Lost Lake I had that same feeling.

The novel is about lakeside cabins called Lost Lake. Eby Pim and her deceased husband George saw a postcard with the cabins and bought and restored them. Living out there for decades Eby is starting to feel as if it may be time to move on from Lost Lake and see the world again like she was planning on doing when she was a newlywed. Eby's niece Kate comes to Lost Lake with her young daughter Devin to re-visit a time in Kate's life when she was happy. We have Kate dealing with the loss of her husband and finally coming back to herself after a year where she was "sleeping".

One of the best things about Sarah Addison Allen's novels is that she always interweaves a sense of magic in her books. The way her novels are written she can have a person believing that yes these things/events could happen. However, this novel is missing that feeling of wonder that I had when I read her other novels. I just felt that a lot of the writing and events that happened were flat. It felt to me like well of course this is the way that it happened and that was about it.

I ended up giving this novel just three stars because of the lack of development of the two leads, way too many plot lines, and a cliched and rushed ending.

I thought that Eby was an interesting character I wish we had delved more into her life back when she was married to George and what about him made him wonderful besides a few stories thrown out about him here and there. Also the character of Kate suddenly reversing herself about what her marriage was about I thought did not really work. There is nothing wrong with a character having been married before and finding love again. I don't like it when you read novels that somehow have the widow or widower somehow finding some random flaws in their former spouse that then allows them to move on easy peasy.

There was the plot-lines of Eby selling Lost Lake and Kate dealing with her grief over the loss of her husband. Frankly that is honestly all this novel really needed. Then we started to include so many other side plots that just did not work in this novel from other characters such as Lisette, Bulahdeen, and Selma. We also throw in the character of Wes and his issues and everything got to be too much.

The ending in my opinion was just one cliche after another. I think that since we have so many characters in this novel Ms. Allen made sure that all of the plot-lines were wrapped up though some of the wrap up felt really rushed to me while I was reading. Also certain things did not make a lot of sense (such as Kate's mother in law's complete transformation at the end). Also it was telegraphed pretty early how the novel would end so it was not a big surprise to me when everything was wrapped up in a nice neat bow. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Just love Allen's stories, SO MUCH. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
For the lost ones.
The wet night air bounced against the electric streetlamps, giving off tiny sparks like flint
ISBN 1250079802 is for Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Addison Allen's book Lost Lake was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,651,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible