The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

The Storyteller (edition 2013)

by Jodi Picoult (Author)

Sage Singer befriends Josef Weber, a beloved Little League coach and retired teacher. But then Josef asks Sage for a favor she never could have imagined--to kill him. After Josef reveals the heinous act he committed, Sage feels he may deserve that fate. But would his death be murder or justice?
Member:SharleneMartinMoore
Title:The Storyteller
Authors:Jodi Picoult (Author)
Info:Atria/Emily Bestler Books (2013), Edition: 1st Edition, 480 pages
Tags:to-read

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (Cecilturtle)
    Not Me by Michael Lavigne (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These thought-provoking novels examine the atrocious activities and difficult decisions made during the Holocaust, the legacy of World War II, and the links between identity and humanity.
    The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes (Iudita)

English (149)  Dutch (2)  All languages (151)
My first Jodi Picoult. Definitely had some flaws, but was pretty compelling overall. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
I have read several of Jodi Picoult’s books now, and they are somewhat hit-or-miss for me. There are some that I have definitely enjoyed more than others, and some that I didn’t particularly enjoy at all. Picoult is not a Christian writer, and though she is unafraid to delve deeply into complicated and sensitive issues, her endings often fall flat for me. This one, however, is by far my favourite!

The concept instantly intrigued me: a descendant of a Holocaust survivor encounters a former (and reformed) Nazi soldier. Both the modern day situation and the flashbacks to the war era present the characters with difficult moral decisions, and the flashbacks also reveal the slippery slope that can lead a person to commit such atrocities against other human beings. In addition to the present day and historical stories that are playing out, there is another story being told: a fictional tale being composed by a young girl as her world is turned upside down, a tale that parallels her reality and gives it the possibility of a happy ending.

Picoult’s books always reveal a twist near the end, and I can often make a pretty close guess as to what it will be before I get there, or at least have a general idea. Not this time. This one genuinely surprised me! I did not see it coming at all, and I thought it was very well done!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book! The various perspectives were very interesting to read and think about. This is something I will read again someday! ( )
  vvbooklady | May 15, 2021 |
5/5
  TashaMorwell | Feb 24, 2021 |
The village baker & his daughter caught up with the Nazies. The granddaughter baking scarred brefiending an x nazie who wants to be killed and a twist at the end a good read. ( )
  BryceV | Feb 22, 2021 |
Incredibly moving and sensitively written. It intertwines the stories of the characters so well. ( )
  zacchaeus | Dec 26, 2020 |

Jodi Picoultprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ardon, AyalCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jeanne M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, Jane Picoult, because you taught me there is nothing more important than family. And because after twenty years, its your turn again.
My father trusted me with the details of his death.
There are all sorts of losses people suffer—from the small to the large. You can lose your car keys, your glasses, your virginity. You can lose your head, you can lose your heart, you can lose your mind. You can relinquish your home to move into assisted living, or have a child move overseas, or see a spouse vanish into dementia. Loss is more than just death, and grief is the gray shape-shifter of emotion.
That's the paradox of loss: How can something that's gone weigh us down so much?
But my mother also would have been the first to tell me that good people are good people; religion has nothing to do with it.
I cannot justify why I've picked Josef, a virtual stranger, to reveal myself to. Maybe because loneliness is a mirror, and recognizes itself.
And me: I find myself talking about things that I have long packed up, like a spinster's hope chest.

Sage Singer, a baker is asked by Josef Weber to make a moral choice. It will make her draw the line between punishment and justice, forgiveness and mercy.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,295,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible