Beta Testing the Apocalypse

by Tom Kaczynski

Tom Kaczynski takes abstract ideas -- capitalism, communism, or utopianism -- and makes them tangible. Beta Testing the Apocalypse includes approximately 10 short stories, most notably "The New." "The New" is set in an un-named third-world megalopolis. It c
2013 (2) actors (1) American (2) caveman (1) circles (1) comics (4) comix (3) commuting (1) crash (1) drama (2) escape (1) facade (1) fiction (2) flood (1) future (2) graphic novel (2) graphic novels (9) hollow (1) insulation (1) Job (1) lawn (1) Marx (1) Mirage (1) octopus (1) rocks (1) science fiction (5) short stories (2) sprawl (1) to-read (10) Uruk (1)

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
One of the stranger books I've ever read! ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
A very bizarre collection of short stories. Some were good, others bad and some just downright confusing. I'm still mulling them over. ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
It is wry humor, told and drawn with a deft touch. Never overburdened or overwraught, what we have are naked apes with too much technology, and too much time, on their hands.

In the pages of Beta Testing the Apocalypse, every moment of human existence lives on in the present, disregarded and forgotten and collapsed beyond recognition, but always immanent and ready to recur, just like the cataclysms that lurk in so many of these stories. In yoking the end of days and the dawn of time, a suburban lawn and primordial jungle, our planet of slums and ancient human sacrifice, Kaczynski portrays a western culture suspended—taut, immobile, only seemingly calm—between past and future, progress and decay, peak oil and the green economy.

Kaczynski's new collection Beta Testing the Apocalypse is weird as all fuck and funny as all shit, a Singles Going Steady for the art comix crowd that merges Burroughs' cut-up commentary with Ballard's keen tech consumer insight and siliconic wit. Working in a style that is a perplexing mix of dot matrix detailing, architectural blue print exactness and razor blade xeroxing looseness, Kaczynski uses Beta Testing the Apocalypse as a platform for his interest in the anxieties of the ever shifting expansiveness of 21st century life, a life Kaczynski obviously inhabits, too, but somehow does so with a verve and clarity the rest of us lack.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,146,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible