Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon…

Mistborn: The Final Empire (edition 2014)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author)

Series: Cosmere (2), Mistborn (1)

9,054360659 (4.29)1 / 589
Experiencing an epiphany within the most daunting prison of the monstrous Lord Ruler, half-Skaa Kelsier finds himself taking on the powers of a Mistborn, and teams up with ragged orphan Vin in a desperate plot to save their world.
Member:dkshrugged
Title:Mistborn: The Final Empire
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Info:Tor Teen (2014), Edition: Reprint, 672 pages

Work Information

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (354)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (360)
What is the matter with me? People have been recommending this series for years and I kept putting it off, thinking I'll get around to it someday. To be fair, the blurb makes it sound like an Oceans Eleven style story which can be okay but aren't my favorites for the most part.
Anyway, this book is fantastic! The world-building is unique and sooo interesting. The magic system is very in-depth; I especially liked that battle scenes were described so well that I could see them flying by tossing coins and leaping from a balcony to a soldier's breastplate.
The characters are amazing without a trope among them. Vin is the untrusting street waif, Kelsier is my new favorite tragic hero, and the rest of the characters are well-fleshed-out with interesting growth and traits. The story kept me on the edge of my seat and I can't wait to start the next book. Though The Final Empire could be a stand-alone, I suspect there's still a lot to learn about Sanderson's spellbinding world. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Nov 24, 2021 |
An amazing book with a fantastic set of characters... Now, onto the next one! ( )
  theEmmers | Nov 24, 2021 |
This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
Title: Mistborn: The Final Empire
Pages: 574
Words: 214K

Synopsis:

From Wikipedia.org

Three years prior to the start of the novel, a half-skaa thief named Kelsier discovered that he was Mistborn and escapes the Pits of Hathsin, a brutal prison camp of the Lord Ruler. He returned to Luthadel, the capital city of the Final Empire, where he rounded up his old thieving crew for a new job: to overthrow the Final Empire by stealing its treasury and collapsing its economy.

At the beginning of the novel, Vin, a wary and abused street urchin, is recruited by Kelsier's crew after Kelsier is notified by his brother, Marsh, that she is a Mistborn. Vin is trained by Kelsier's crew to develop her Allomantic powers, which include burning pewter to strengthen the body, burning tin to enhance the senses, and burning steel and iron to gain a limited form of telekinesis over metal. She is also given the duty of spying on the nobility by attending opulent balls in Luthadel (the capital and center of the final empire), where she poses as Valette Renoux, niece to Lord Renoux, a nobleman working with Kelsier's crew. During these balls, she meets and falls in love with Elend Venture, heir to House Venture, the most powerful of the Luthadel noble houses. Elend flouts the rules of nobility culture and secretly plans to build a better society with his noble friends when they ascend to their respective house titles.

Kelsier hopes to conquer the city by destabilizing it with a house war between the nobility and then invading with a skaa army. Once in control, he hopes to overthrow the Final Empire by stealing the Lord Ruler's hoard of atium, a precious metal which is the cornerstone of the Final Empire's economy. The crew succeeds in starting a house war by assassinating several powerful nobles and recruiting about seven thousand soldiers to join their cause. However, about three quarters of the soldiers are slaughtered when they foolishly attack an unimportant Final Empire garrison with the hopes of divine protection from Kelsier, who has spread rumors of his "supernatural" powers. The remaining soldiers are smuggled into Luthadel by Kelsier, who intends to continue the plan. Unfortunately, Marsh is discovered and seemingly killed, and Lord Renoux and his estate are seized and he is brought to be executed by the Canton of Inquisition, the police arm of the Final Empire. This Canton is made up of Steel Inquisitors, seemingly indestructible Allomancers with steel spikes driven through their eyes. Though Kelsier's crew manage to free most of Renoux's group and kill an Inquisitor, Kelsier is killed by the Lord Ruler himself in a dramatic confrontation in Luthadel's city square. Though these events appear to leave Kelsier's plan in shambles, it is revealed that his real plan was to become a martyred symbol of hope for Luthadel's superstitious skaa population. The skaa population reacts to his death by rising up and overthrowing the city with the help of Kelsier's army.

Before his death, Kelsier had attempted to unlock the potential of the "Eleventh Metal" that he had acquired, which was rumored to be the Lord Ruler's weakness. He was unable to do so before his death, and left it to Vin to finish the job. With the Eleventh Metal, Vin goes to the imperial palace to kill the Lord Ruler. She is captured by the Canton of Inquisition and left in a cell to be tortured, but Sazed, her faithful servant, comes to her rescue. Using a magical discipline called Feruchemy, he helps Vin escape and recover her possessions. Marsh is revealed to be alive, having actually been made into a Steel Inquisitor; he betrays his fellow Inquisitors and slays them. Vin fights the Lord Ruler, who is revealed to be both an incredibly powerful Allomancer and a Feruchemist, the combination of which grants him incredible healing powers and eternal youth. Vin is almost destroyed by the Lord Ruler, but with hints from the Eleventh Metal and the unexpected magical aid of the mists, she manages to separate the Lord Ruler from his Feruchemical bracelets that provide him with constant youth, causing him to age rapidly. Vin uses a spear to kill the Lord Ruler, who with his last words ominously warns her of a great doom. The Final Empire collapses, though Elend is able to avoid total societal collapse by uniting Luthadel under a new system of democratic government.

My Thoughts:

Recently I've been talking with other people about whether fantasy has gotten worse (in whatever form you claim is “worse”) or if there's just more drek or if authors are pandering to the idiots or whatnot. I do think we can all agree it has gotten bigger, literally. If it ain't a 10 volume epic of phat tomes, then the publishers will tell you to publish it yourself. Anyway, I have found myself despising the path that Brandon Sanderson has started going down. He's writing multiple Young Adult books, comics and starting new series while ignoring older series. He's also taken to putting his name on a cover and “co-authoring” books, which as we all know, usually means the other person did all the work and the big name is to sell the book. You might detect a hint of bitterness. If so, you are correct. When I was in my 20's, and him too, he wrote what I wanted to read. As I've gotten older, his output hasn't changed but is still geared towards a younger audience. What I wasn't sure about was whether my memories of raving about his early works were because they were actually good, or because they hit the spot for me.

So this re-read of the original Mistborn trilogy is a test to see if Sanderson was a good author or if his recent “decline” was just in my head. Sadly, this was pure awesome sauce and made me excited to read fantasy. I say sadly because it means Sanderson has pandered to the Crowd and stopped writing good stuff.

This is not a perfect book, despite my rating and love for it. This is early Sanderson and while nothing sticks out like a broken branch, it is not completely polished. It “felt” like an early work. The chosen words didn't flow perfectly, they didn't have the many shades of meaning possible. It was never bad or ever wrong, it just wasn't as good as I've seen him write in later books. But really, I don't expect a highschool athlete to perform at the same level as an Olympic Champion. But once they've reached that level, I expect them to stay there. And while early Sanderson was great, once he got beyond that there's just no going back.

Now, with that naysaying, this was just as good as I remember. I was excited to crack open my kindle each evening and read some more. I was even more excited when I got to the end of the book and to remember that I had TWO MORE BOOKS to read. You know something is good when you get excited about the books to come.

So to end, I had a fantastic time reading this, my faith in old Sanderson was restored and Fantasy HAS changed in the last 15 years and not for the better.

★★★★★ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Nov 20, 2021 |
Terrible; like reading a mechanistic description of a mediocre video game ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
It can be a little daunting starting a new series of thick books, and even though I'm not new to Brandon Sanderson, I still was a bit intimidated by the thought of this one. So I finally just forced myself to dive in, and I'm glad that I did. Just about everything in this book was perfect, with the exception of the My Fair Lady subplot. I'd just finished another book with a similar subplot ([b:The Hod King|32998292|The Hod King (The Books of Babel, #3)|Josiah Bancroft|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1519687843s/32998292.jpg|53638436]), and even a similar named ingénue (Valette vs. Voleta) being prepped by a not-quite-human (Sazed vs Byron). Ugh. I'm a 50 year old man - not exactly the target demo for that kind of story, so those parts really dragged the book for me. But outside of that, the story and worldbuilding was outstanding. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |

Stewart, IsaacMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]

Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,462,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible