Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon…

Mistborn: The Final Empire (edition 2019)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author)

Series: Mistborn (1), Cosmere (2)

8,060325752 (4.28)1 / 573
Experiencing an epiphany within the most daunting prison of the monstrous Lord Ruler, half-Skaa Kelsier finds himself taking on the powers of a Mistborn, and teams up with ragged orphan Vin in a desperate plot to save their world.
Member:sami7
Title:Mistborn: The Final Empire
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Info:Tor Fantasy (2019), 672 pages
Rating:*****

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (321)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (325)
A bit of a slow start, but it really took off and kept me interested after the first couple of chapters. The last third of the book made it hard to put down, hence the 2 a.m. review. I will be reading more in the series as well as starting on Way of the Kings. ( )
  Chris.Bulin | Oct 1, 2020 |
"Sometimes we just have to wait long enough. Then we can find out why exactly it was that we kept believing."

FUTURE ALTHEA UPDATE: If I could have any superpower I wanted, I would choose to erase my memory of this series... so that I can experience all the emotions I had all over again

This is by far one of the best and definitely one of my favorite fantasy books that I have ever read. It's like everything had a realistic explanation. I mean like, Vin wasn't special just because. It was because of a specific, realistic-to-the-mistborn-world explanation. The laws of physics actually take place in this world, and it got me shook because this is, i think, the very first fantasy book that I've read that is like this. The magical element is so unique. I never imagined a world like this.

I wish I picked this book up sooner. Especially given the fact that it was published ages ago.

The plot. IS. GREAT. I did not see that coming. The pacing of the plot and the world building is great. When there is not some very detailed fight scene that makes me hold my breath, its scenes that makes me think "what else can happen?" and "is there anything that can make this book better than it already is?".

With the pleasure of reading this wonderful book, there is also so much that Sanderson has given to his readers. There is a lot to learn in the span of one book, like just how much people are willing to do what ti takes to save what they love and who they love.

"There is always another secret"

The author did a wonderful job in creating a world that would not just engage readers due to the thrill of the writing, but also because the readers have fallen in love with each of the characters that were created and the fact that readers, while reading, feel like there is still more to know.

"We can't do this. We aren't invincible."

"We're not helpless either"

Vin was a wonderful protagonist, the challenges she faced were written so well that I felt like I was reading the challenges that a personal friend went through. Kelsier was a wonderful father figure and I can't just help admire him. Vin and Kelsier's relationship throughout the book developed really well. It went from Vin not even wanting to be seen by Kelsier and the crew to her being scared that she would never get to see all of them in the same place anymore. It hit me every time it was mentioned how much Vin thought of him as a father figure even though it was never explicitly stated in the book. I think that was the reason it hits that much more.

She grew so much in the span of one book, but it never seemed forced.

Their thieving crew is an amazing family. With their own abilities and strengths, they work so effortlessly well together. Kelsier was written out to be the perfect leader while still having his own weaknesses and vulnerabilities.

There is more that I want to talk about regarding the other characters, but I feel there is too many for me to talk about each of them in detail and while bringing justice to each one of them.

PRAISE FOR BRANDON SANDERSON by Orson Scott Card

"It's rare for a fiction writer to have much understanding of how leadership works, how communities form, and how love really takes place in the human heart. Sanderson is astonishingly wise."

I cannot agree more.

I was seriously not disappointed with this book (even though it cracked my chest open and shattered my heart). Perfect for fantasy readers looking for a good read.

(((A summary: This book was crazy)))
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
Oh wow. I understand now why this is a favourite for many. This was such a wild ride. Did not expect any of the ending to happen. I sat down to read a couple of pages before bed but do not start last 150 pages before bed, you can't stop reading so it'll disturb your sleeping schedule. Can't wait toread the sequels. ( )
  iKaroliina | Aug 15, 2020 |
I've tried to read a few Sanderson books, but this is the first I've actually followed through all the way. While slow to start (beginnings, although not exposition full, are a little awkward/slow to build), Sanderson provides a stunningly well thought out magic system (something he's known for and for good reason), as well as high paced, well written fantasy action. If the beginning of the book had captivated me a little quicker I would have given it all five stars, but as it is I was still more than happy with the book. ( )
  kodermike | Jul 31, 2020 |
I truly enjoy Brandon Sanderson's world building and Mistborn doesn't disappoint. While his writing style is a bit blunt and not completely challenging, it's what he's writing about that really drew me in making me hungry to continue the series. ( )
  jblopez | Jul 31, 2020 |

Stewart, IsaacMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]

Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,787,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible