A Universe Of Consciousness: How Matter…

A Universe Of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Gerald Edelman (Author)

What goes on in our head when we have a thought? Why do the physical events that occur inside a fistful of gelatinous tissue give rise to the world of conscious experience? In The Universe of Consciousness , Gerald Edelman and Giulio Tononi present for the first time a full-scale theory of consciousness based on direct observation of the human brain in action. Their pioneering work, presented here in an elegant style, challenges much of the conventional wisdom about consciousness. The Universe of Consciousness has enormous implications for our understanding of language, thought, emotion, and mental illness.… (more)
Member:johnhillsp
Title:A Universe Of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination
Authors:Gerald Edelman (Author)
Info:Basic Books (2001), 288 pages

Work Information

A Universe Of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination by Gerald Edelman (2000)

The authors present an intriguing theory of consciousness based on his previous work in the field of cognitive science. In doing so they challenge some of the conventional wisdom about the nature of consciousness while providing challenging food for thought. This is one of the essential books to read regarding consciousness along with those of Dennett and others. ( )
  jwhenderson | Dec 31, 2022 |
This book, even being 18 years out of date, is far beyond the comprehension of many 21st Century readers. I know I struggled. A lot. ( )
  AZBob1951 | Oct 27, 2021 |

Gerald Edelmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tononi, GiulioAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,090,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible