The Summer Prince

by Alaya Dawn Johnson

In a Brazil of the distant future, June Costa falls in love with Enki, a fellow artist and rebel against the strict limits of the legendary pyramid city of Palmares Três' matriarchal government, knowing that, like all Summer Kings before him, Enki is destined to die.

This book caught my attention because it centers on the practice of the sacrifice of a year king -- a very old mythic idea. The story is about many things: why a young man would compete to be chosen to rule for a year and then be killed, chosen death in various forms, the tension between youth and age, politics, art as a vehicle for radical disruption, love, and rivalry. It also features a trio of leads who are people of color, and a hero who is pansexual.

It's hard to describe the plot itself, but the writing is beautiful, the characters compelling, and their society fascinating. I really, really enjoyed it. ( )
  jsabrina | Jul 13, 2021 |
Did not finish.

I tried to like the world building, being futuristic Brazil and all, but I just couldn't stomach yet another YA novel written in the 1st person pov of a female teenage character. ( )
  ladyars | Dec 31, 2020 |
I quite enjoyed this. I know very little about Brazilian culture so I have no idea of the story's accuracy.
None the less I liked the world building and imagery. I also like that this novel handled same sex relationships, open relationships and even masturbation in a casual way. It's all handled tastefully and not at all inappropriate or salacious.
Slow in places and some logic jumps but standard YA tropes. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
must think on this so i can do it justice. full review coming. ( )
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
With grace and precision, The Summer Prince walks the line between literary lyricism and good old-fashioned science fiction storytelling. Johnson (you might know her from the charming Zephyr Hollis series, about a "vampire suffragette" in Jazz Age New York) has created a city that lives and breathes on the page, its samba rhythms and sea breezes balanced by algae stink and rusting spiderbots.
added by karenb | editNPR, Petra Mayer (Mar 7, 2013)

An art project, a rebellion and a sacrifice make up this nuanced, original cyberpunk adventure.
added by karenb | editKirkus Reviews (Jan 16, 2013)

Alaya Dawn Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilCover art & designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lauren and Alexis, my Johnson sisters and ultimate travel partners. Let's discover the world together, balneários and all.
When I was eight, my papai took me to the park to watch a king die.

Alaya Dawn Johnson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,399,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible