The Horologicon by Mark Forsyth

The Horologicon (2012)

by Mark Forsyth

An improvement over The Etymologicon, this was quite an emjoyable and informative read. I think it is a safe bet that the reader won't be using many of these words in casual conversation. Nor in less than casual conversation, but they're still cool words to know.

For The Day's Jaunt, Forsyth has arranged his exploration in 19 hourly segments, with each looking at words related more or less to that time of day. Awakening, ablutions, breaking fasts, traveling (to work), meetings about "work", taking breaks, faking work, lunching, more "work", making others work, oops...tea time, finally doing work, just in time to leave, picking up necessaries and necessities, supper and libations, courting, going home, ...bed time. My summaries don't tell the whole story as there are numerous side studies in each chapter.

Forsyth's wit comes out more in this book than his first. Despite my glib thoughts about using these words in casual or serious conversation, any reader will be enriched for knowing them. I will read this again someday. If you've not read it, go find it and do. ( )
  Razinha | Sep 9, 2018 |
I absolutely love Mark Forsyth's books and this one was the last one I had of his to read. Its focus in on the lost words of the English language and he's broken it down into a parody, of sorts, of a book of hours. We start at 6 a.m. and learn about the words applicable to dawn and waking up, then proceed to travel through the day of work, lunch, shopping, and socialising, ending up in bed at midnight. All done with Forsyth's trademark humour.

Ultimately, I didn't love it as much as his other two books, the Entymologicon and the The Elements of Eloquence but it was still excellent and I highly recommend it for those that just love words.

He's also got a new book out, A Christmas Cornucopia : The Hidden Stories Behind Our Yuletide Traditions, which is, of course, on my To Buy list. ( )
  murderbydeath | Jan 8, 2017 |
I found this very entertaining, a look at some unused words for a variety of tasks throughout the day. It was fun to see how little things change in some areas of life. The list of words for drunkenness was impressive.

It's a book to read over time as well, and while many of the words have already slipped from my mind, I'm sure a few will creep in to my vocabulary occasionally when needed.

Forsyth brings us through a day with words that have lapsed from use. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 17, 2016 |
Mildly amusing. ( )
  sloopjonb | May 24, 2014 |
Somewhat unfortunately, I read this at the same time as the new QI book of 1,227 facts, which included many of the words in this volume, obviously not by total coincidence. It's a fun book, though, with Mark Forsyth's humour as much as or more in evidence than in The Etymologicon. I don't think I'm going to remember many of these words, if any, but they are indeed satisfying and odd, and some of them are undeservedly defunct. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Therefore doth Job open his mouth in vain; he multiplieth words without knowledge.
Job 35, verse 16
For my parents
Tennyson once wrote that:
Words, like Nature, half reveal
And half conceal the soul within.

A humourous stroll
through the forgotten words of
the English language.
(passion4reading)

Do you wake up feeling rough? Then you're philogrobolized. Find yourself pretending to work? That's fudgelling. And this could lead to rizzling, if you feel sleepy after lunch. Though you are sure to become a sparkling deipnosopbist by dinner. Just don't get too vinomadefied; a drunk dinner companion is never appreciated. The Horologicon (or book of hours) contains the most extraordinary words in the English language, arranged according to what hour of the day you might need them. From Mark Forsyth, the author of the #1 international bestseller, The Etymologicon, comes a book of weird words for familiar situations. From ante-jentacular to snudge by way of quafftide and wamblecropt, at last you can say, with utter accuracy, exactly what you mean.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,105,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible