Starting Now: A Blossom Street Novel

by Debbie Macomber

Series: Blossom Street (9)

6019930,587 (4)13
For years Libby Morgan dreamed only of making partner in her competitive, high-pressure law firm. She sacrificed everything for her career, her friends, her marriage, her chance at creating a family. When her boss calls Libby into his office, she assumes it will finally be good news, but nothing can prepare her for the shocking reality: She's been let go and must rebuild her entire life...starting now.… (more)

As we all know, life does not always work out like we plan. Libby Morgan finds that out right in the beginning of this read, and she never saw it coming, so absorbed in her job. A wake up call, having read the book, yes, and a blessing.

We walk with her as she goes about her without a job life, and I was ready to go an help hold those babies, but this leads to an encounter with Dr. "Heart of" Stone, as he is referred to. She also befriends some young teenage girls, whom change her life, but also enrich it.

Keep reading, how things work out was a surprise, and along the way there are a lot of tears.

I also love the Epilogue!

I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Ballentine Books, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Nov 30, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this clean romance and so much more. I voluntarily chose to review this story. This author gets a 5* rating from me. Her books do not disappoint. It had a lot of action and twists and turns to keep me turning the pages. This book came out in 2013 but the serious issues are still here, maybe even more so. This might be a good one to show our little younger readers, (13 and older) some of the things they need to watch out for. ( )
  NancyLuebke | Feb 2, 2021 |
A nice book in this continuing enjoyable series. ( )
  soosthemoose | Oct 19, 2020 |
After the initial Cedar Cove novels that Debbie Macomber wrote, "The Blossom Street" novels were among my favorite of her works. However, starting with Hannah's List (Blossom Street) I started to feel the novels taking place on Blossom Street were getting a bit trite. They were short on plot and development. Then with A Turn in the Road (Blossom Street) I was tempted to just stop reading anymore novels by Debbie Macomber.

However, when this newest offering came out I decided to see if the series had continued its downward spiral or if there was any improvement.

I am happy to say that there was improvement in leaps and bounds in this novel than with the preceding two.

This novel is about Libby Morgan who has for several years focused on making partner at her law firm. Her focus has caused her to lose friends and end her marriage. However, when Libby assumes she is about to made partner, she instead is laid off. Reeling from not working for the first time Libby starts to form friendships and finds out what will make her happy.

I have to say that this novel was very good in terms of plot and development. For once we had a character who though they did change it was a gradual thing and did not just happen over the course of two weeks.

Debbie Macomber had this entire novel take place over several months and then with the epilogue we are at a year later in the character's lives. That made me happy since it has driven me crazy that in the past few novels major life changing events with the main heroine and hero would happen in a week or two and somehow they would be married days after meeting each other.

Though we have Libby as the main protagonist in this novel we also get to see some more of beloved Blossom Street characters such as Lydia Goetz, her adopted daughter Casey, and her sister Margaret who is still helping Lydia run 'A Good Yarn'. We also get to hear about Hannah from "Hannah's List", Alix from the original novel that started the series off, and Ruth from "A Turn in the Road."

The only con that I had with this novel is the storyline revolving around Ava, Casey's best friend. I honestly cannot believe as other reviewers had said that no one would have intervened sooner. The whole storyline though I think it was made to push our heartstrings made me think that all of the adults in this novel were extremely stupid. I don't want to say more than that since I don't want to spoil that for any potential readers.

I would recommend this novel to fans of the Blossom Street novels who will be glad to finally see some improvement in this series.

I received this novel for free via the Amazon Vine Program. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
This was a quick, fun read. I do like the Blossom Street series. The book had its merits, however it ended up being a little too preachy for me. I love the characters and the storyline. It really is about starting over and finding out what is really important. ( )
  Martha662 | Jun 27, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Debbie Macomber's book Starting Now was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,594,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible