Starting Now: A Blossom Street Novel by…

Starting Now: A Blossom Street Novel (edition 2013)

by Debbie Macomber

Series: Blossom Street (9)

For years Libby Morgan dreamed only of making partner in her competitive, high-pressure law firm. She sacrificed everything for her career, her friends, her marriage, her chance at creating a family. When her boss calls Libby into his office, she assumes it will finally be good news, but nothing can prepare her for the shocking reality: She's been let go and must rebuild her entire life...starting now.… (more)
Member:BradfordPL
Title:Starting Now: A Blossom Street Novel
Authors:Debbie Macomber
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:New Books

Work Information

Starting Now by Debbie Macomber (Author)

For years Libby Morgan dreamed only of making partner in her competitive, high-pressure law firm. She sacrificed everything for her career—her friends, her marriage, her chance at creating a family. When her boss calls Libby into his office, she assumes it will finally be good news, but nothing can prepare her for the shocking reality: She’s been let go and must rebuild her entire life . . . starting now.

Number 9 in the Blossom Street series finds Libby out of a job within the first chapter, with her career having cost her a marriage and most friendships.

At a loss as to what to do next, and her job prospects dwindling by the day, she finds the "life" her old mentor told her to seek out - new friendships, a new purpose and a new love.

This is all threatened when her old job comes back to dominate her life and she has to make a choice.

Whilst there is some reference to the previous characters in Blossom Street - Susannah's Garden, Alix the baker etc - it's really only Lydia and Margaret from A Good Yarn who make any lasting appearance in this book.

At 400 pages, I was in two minds as to whether to start it on a Sunday morning, wondering if I could finish it before the weekend was over, but I shouldnt have doubted. I easily finished it within the day.

It's a standard Macomber fare, a nice addition to the Blossom Street canon and a nice read on a hot sunny Sunday but nothing groundbreaking
  nordie | Apr 18, 2022 |
As we all know, life does not always work out like we plan. Libby Morgan finds that out right in the beginning of this read, and she never saw it coming, so absorbed in her job. A wake up call, having read the book, yes, and a blessing.

We walk with her as she goes about her without a job life, and I was ready to go an help hold those babies, but this leads to an encounter with Dr. "Heart of" Stone, as he is referred to. She also befriends some young teenage girls, whom change her life, but also enrich it.

Keep reading, how things work out was a surprise, and along the way there are a lot of tears.

I also love the Epilogue!

I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Ballentine Books, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Nov 30, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this clean romance and so much more. I voluntarily chose to review this story. This author gets a 5* rating from me. Her books do not disappoint. It had a lot of action and twists and turns to keep me turning the pages. This book came out in 2013 but the serious issues are still here, maybe even more so. This might be a good one to show our little younger readers, (13 and older) some of the things they need to watch out for. ( )
  NancyLuebke | Feb 2, 2021 |
A nice book in this continuing enjoyable series. ( )
  soosthemoose | Oct 19, 2020 |
After the initial Cedar Cove novels that Debbie Macomber wrote, "The Blossom Street" novels were among my favorite of her works. However, starting with Hannah's List (Blossom Street) I started to feel the novels taking place on Blossom Street were getting a bit trite. They were short on plot and development. Then with A Turn in the Road (Blossom Street) I was tempted to just stop reading anymore novels by Debbie Macomber.

However, when this newest offering came out I decided to see if the series had continued its downward spiral or if there was any improvement.

I am happy to say that there was improvement in leaps and bounds in this novel than with the preceding two.

This novel is about Libby Morgan who has for several years focused on making partner at her law firm. Her focus has caused her to lose friends and end her marriage. However, when Libby assumes she is about to made partner, she instead is laid off. Reeling from not working for the first time Libby starts to form friendships and finds out what will make her happy.

I have to say that this novel was very good in terms of plot and development. For once we had a character who though they did change it was a gradual thing and did not just happen over the course of two weeks.

Debbie Macomber had this entire novel take place over several months and then with the epilogue we are at a year later in the character's lives. That made me happy since it has driven me crazy that in the past few novels major life changing events with the main heroine and hero would happen in a week or two and somehow they would be married days after meeting each other.

Though we have Libby as the main protagonist in this novel we also get to see some more of beloved Blossom Street characters such as Lydia Goetz, her adopted daughter Casey, and her sister Margaret who is still helping Lydia run 'A Good Yarn'. We also get to hear about Hannah from "Hannah's List", Alix from the original novel that started the series off, and Ruth from "A Turn in the Road."

The only con that I had with this novel is the storyline revolving around Ava, Casey's best friend. I honestly cannot believe as other reviewers had said that no one would have intervened sooner. The whole storyline though I think it was made to push our heartstrings made me think that all of the adults in this novel were extremely stupid. I don't want to say more than that since I don't want to spoil that for any potential readers.

I would recommend this novel to fans of the Blossom Street novels who will be glad to finally see some improvement in this series.

I received this novel for free via the Amazon Vine Program. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Debbie Macomber's book Starting Now was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,091,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible