Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove) by Tessa…

Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove) (edition 2013)

by Tessa Dare (Author)

Series: Spindle Cove (4)

USA Today Bestseller What's a duke to do, when the girl who's perfectly wrong becomes the woman he can't live without? Griffin York, the Duke of Halford, has no desire to wed this season--or any season--but his diabolical mother abducts him to "Spinster Cove" and insists he select a bride from the ladies in residence. Griff decides to teach her a lesson that will end the marriage debate forever. He chooses the serving girl. Overworked and struggling, Pauline Simms doesn't dream about dukes. All she wants is to hang up her barmaid apron and open a bookshop. That dream becomes a possibility when an arrogant, sinfully attractive duke offers her a small fortune for a week's employment. Her duties are simple: submit to his mother's "duchess training"... and fail miserably. But in London, Pauline isn't a miserable failure. She's a brave, quick-witted, beguiling failure--a woman who ignites Griff's desire and soothes the darkness in his soul. Keeping Pauline by his side won't be easy. Even if Society could accept a serving girl duchess--can a roguish duke convince a serving girl to trust him with her heart?… (more)
Member:MommaO
Title:Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove)
Authors:Tessa Dare (Author)
Info:Avon (2013), 384 pages

Work Information

Any Duchess Will Do by Tessa Dare

Recently added bylapulli, Aboleyn89, whitleycaitlin

I consider this a fun twist on Taming of the Shrew. (I've never much cared for that story typically, but this was changed enough I enjoyed it). The characters were interesting and developed. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
Well. This was entertaining and a quick read. Although I think I still have issues with these "historical" romances. I guess I'm just a bit frustrated having these super modern people in books where the history seems to be only the reason to have balls and have class differences... And don't get me wrong, I do think people in the end don't change that much through times, but of course the surrounding culture will affect what you think and how you act. So, entertaining and enjoyable, but doesn't really work in the end for me. ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
Full review at Little Book Jockey. I think Pygmalion stories will always have an appeal. Throw in the wonderful writing of Tessa Dare, and it’s sure to be a winner. I can’t really say much about this one other than that you should go find a copy and read it. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
The Duke of Halford doesn't ever want to marry but his mother has other plans. So he makes a deal with her: if she can turn the woman of his choosing into a lady in one week, he'll relent and marry her. Of course he then tries to pick the most unlikely of candidates, a barmaid with no polish at all, and then proceeds to make a deal with her as well: do the worst possible job of learning how to become a lady and earn a thousand pounds.
Well, you can guess what happens. And it's a delight. Part Cinderella, part Pygmalion, with a healthy pinch of comedy and some nicely drawn characters. ( )
  electrascaife | Jul 5, 2020 |
Reread 5/10/2020 for once of my favorite mothers in romance. Honestly, 99% of the reason I reread it.

----original review-----
This book had a lot of sparkly shiny fairytale.

I enjoyed it. I liked-really adored-all the characters but Griff's mother can be my devious mother-in-law anytime.

...I was shocked that one scene actually made me tear up...
In the nursery, when Griff's mom wrapped her knitting around him. I don't know why, but it hit me as just perfectly funny and sad at that moment. It showed how perfectly she was attempting to care for her son and give him what he needed. Somehow, that's one that will stay with me.

I have not much more to say here... ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |

Tessa Dareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kaminsky, EvaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For librarians and book sellers everywhere,
who gather books and build shelters for tender souls.

Griffin York, the Duke of Halford, has no desire to wed this season—or any season—but his diabolical mother abducts him to “Spinster Cove” and insists he select a bride from the ladies in residence. Griff decides to teach her a lesson that will end the marriage debate forever. He chooses the serving girl.

Overworked and struggling, Pauline Simms doesn’t dream about dukes. All she wants is to hang up her barmaid apron and open a bookshop. That dream becomes a possibility when an arrogant, sinfully attractive duke offers her a small fortune for a week’s employment. Her duties are simple: submit to his mother’s “duchess training”… and fail miserably.

But in London, Pauline isn’t a miserable failure. She’s a brave, quick-witted, beguiling failure—a woman who ignites Griff’s desire and soothes the darkness in his soul. Keeping Pauline by his side won’t be easy. Even if Society could accept a serving girl duchess—can a roguish duke convince a serving girl to trust him with her heart?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,074,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible