Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An…

Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journe y… (edition 2012)

by Butterfield Champagne Rosaria (Author)

Rosaria, by the standards of many, was living a very good life. She had a tenured position at a large university in a field for which she cared deeply. She owned two homes with her partner, in which they provided hospitality to students and activists that were looking to make a difference in the world. There, her partner rehabilitated abandoned and abused dogs. In the community, Rosaria was involved in volunteer work. At the university, she was a respected advisor of students and her department's curriculum. And then, in her late 30s, Rosaria encountered something that turned her world upside down -- the idea that Christianity, a religion that she had regarded as problematic and sometimes downright damaging, might be right about who God was, an idea that flew in the face of the people and causes that she most loved. What follows is a story of what she describes as a "train wreck" at the hand of the supernatural. These are her secret thoughts about those events, written as only a reflective English professor could. - Publisher.… (more)
Member:Redemption-Hill
Title:Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journe y Into Christian Faith
Authors:Butterfield Champagne Rosaria (Author)
Info:Crown and Covenant Publications (2012), 154 pages

Work Information

The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: Expanded Edition by Rosaria Champagne Butterfield

pretty good. The first half of the book, about her actual conversion, was more interesting to me. The second half felt like the blog of a Christian homeschooling mother in the years after her conversion. Still interesting, but in a different way, and not as interesting (to me) as her conversion story. I enjoyed it, though. I would recommend it. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
Rosaria, by the standards of many, was living a very good life. She had a tenured position at a large university in a field for which she cared deeply. She owned two homes with her partner, in which they provided hospitality to students and activists that were looking to make a difference in the world. In the community, Rosaria was involved in volunteer work. At the university, she was a respected advisor of students and her department's curriculum.
Then, in her late 30's, Rosaria encountered something that turned her world upside down--the idea that Christianity, a religion she had regarded as problematic and sometimes downright damaging, might be right about who God was. That idea seemed to fly in the face of the people and causes that she most loved. What follows is a story of what she describes as a train wreck at the hand of the supernatural. These are her secret thoughts about those events, written as only a reflective English professor could.
  wpcalibrary | Jan 9, 2022 |
9/10 ( )
  mark_read | Aug 13, 2020 |
This was such a well told story of this author's life story. It was very thought provoking and challenging to me. She is a lady I would love to meet someday. Rosaria was living a very good life as a tenured professor at a large university. She was respected and looked up to by folks in her community of friends. But in her late 30s she encountered the idea of Christianity; "a religion she had regarded as problematic and sometimes downright damaging". But she will come to realize that what they thought about God might be true. Her sudden change in life-style and her testimony for the Lord will greatly affect her friendships. But the transformation and the love and family that follows was a joy to read about. Here is a woman who said herself, "Sometimes in crisis, . . .sometimes our character is simply transformed." I thank the Lord for her testimony and for this book that I read. ( )
  judyg54 | Feb 27, 2020 |
Rosaria Champagne Butterfield went from being a lesbian feminist university professor to a preacher’s wife and homeschooling mother. This book is the story of her spiritual journey. In a time when many on opposite sides of cultural and political divides cannot manage to be civil to one another, it is refreshing to read about the open and respectful dialogue Butterfield experienced with her new acquaintances in the Reformed Presbyterian Church. Butterfield recognizes the difference between cheap and costly grace. Her conversion to Christianity came at the cost of cherished friendships, career, and community. The themes of repentance and hospitality stand out in this memoir, and hospitality is the major theme of the additional content in the expanded edition. ( )
  cbl_tn | Nov 27, 2018 |
I dedicate this book to my children, in the hopes that they each will write their own worldview testimony for God's saving grace through Christ Jesus, our Lord.
[Foreword] "Are you an evangelical?"
[Acknowledgements] When I was 28 years old, I boldly declared myself lesbian.
How do I tell you about my conversion to Christianity without making it sound like an alien abduction or a train wreck?

Auto biography

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,247,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible